Are you open to marrying into a different religion, especially if you would have to change your faith?

"Change of faith" could be influenced either by, (a) the Guy/Gal you would be marrying, or (b) by the would-be In-Laws.

4562

Most Helpful Guy

• Changing your faith to suit someone else is retarded. It seems today that many people just pick and choose a faith for reasons other than the fact that they believe mostly in that faith. If you're a Christian for example, and you want to marry a Muslim, why would you convert if you don't really believe in the Muslim faith? Are you even a real Christian in the first place if you'll do that or are you not really faithful at all? In that case then you shouldn't call yourself a Christian, Muslim, or anything but agnostic/atheist, otherwise it's fake.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm open to being with someone who is religious however I cannot imagine ever becoming religious myself. I used to believe in that stuff as a young child because that was how I was raised but as I got older, I realised that actually, I don't believe in any of that, I just followed what my parents said, y'know? Maturing and getting my own mind made me more confident in my atheism, though of course, I can never 100% say god exists, I can just say that I personally am very doubtful of it. So yeah, I am happy to date and marry someone who does believe, but I don't think I will ever become religious again.

What Guys Said 61

• I have no problem with marrying someone with a different religion, changing mine however, I will not do. Frankly I'd be insulted if that was asked.

• This is quite an absurd question...

If you're the religion you are because you believe it (i'd presume you have reason for your beliefs other than, "it's convenient")

So why the hell would you change your religion on a whim unless you don't really believe it to begin with. For example, i'm christian, if my girl were muslim i wouldn't suddenly not think muhammad made islam up as a means of military conquest.

• Well, there may be reasons against it, but there are people who have married into another religion and even converted. I guess, mostly people do this, not out of compulsion, but out of love for their partner & acceptance into their partner's family. Even I was intrigued by these kind of marriages being on the rise. Hence, this question to understand how it actually work. πŸ˜‡ πŸ‘Ό πŸ’•

• It's not about love or not... a belief system is something you believe BECAUSE you find it the most coherent. You don't suddenly just lose coherence in reasoned beliefs.

If it's that easy to change, you really didn't believe them much for it to even matter so it's a bit mute asking this.

• I wouldn't mind marrying a girl from different religion, but I would never switch to other religion just to marry someone. That's like an agreement you are required to sign so you could get married.
    I never actually had a Girlfriend who was of same religion as me, but honestly not even a single time we had faced any problems between us because of that. They all used to respect my beliefs and vice versa.

Name of the religion doesn't matter to me, what matters is the peace and teachings to be on the right path in life

• Absolutely not, no.

It's adding in another source of potential tension, difficulty etc. It's not for me, sorry.

• No I wouldn't marry into a different religion.
    I'm an atheist and even I can tell that if you can just swap your faith then your faith was a big farce to begin with.

• Why would you ever have to change your religion over marriage? This is just a really stupid question.
    But of course I find most religious things stupid.
    Seriously, who's this naive?

• not nice; ur religon must be very lenient aswell

• this took a while but finally something interesting; may i poke your brain a bit? i mean imma ask anyways and yes please dont sugar coat things; well i know u won't because u seem egotistical but not in a bad way ; ofcourse or well watever lol.
      basically i wanna ask something basic like what do u believe in? im curious and know almost nothing. i find that interesting people broaden my abstract perception. Leading to new possiblities for me in understanding what i will never understand

• @bryangerman95 I wouldn't call myself egotistical. But that's mostly because I deal with enough people like that. It's more along the lines of me having been exposed to some of the worst humanity has to offer. And as such I sometimes come of as cold.

As far as what I believe in. I am probably the most stricked form of atheist you could ever find.
      And I feel the only way for mankind to progress would be through study anf observationas any man of science should. However my faith in humanity is so poor, mostly thanks to things like religion holding the majority back. I don't see humanity getting any better any time soon.

• That is illogical and impossible as far as I am concerned. I don't believe in any religion and could not force myself to believe in one, so it would make no sense.

• If my marriage requires change of my religion then it's not the right marriage and they should move along.

• Marriage is mutual, while religion is personal and quite private.

• I would marry into another faith, but I would never marry into a faith if they made me convert to theirs.

• I wouldn't change my faith, but I could marry someone of another religion. However, I couldn't marry an atheist.

• I find it interesting that you would marry someone of a different faith but not an atheist? I Would think that believing in different gods would be a greater source of tension than one partner simply not believing in any god at all. I'm interested to hear your reasoning.

• Agnostic and Atheism are included. I did not mean to exclude them. Infact, if you notice, there are several people who replied here belong to either of the faith. May I request you to go through the replies here please. πŸ˜‡ πŸ’• (I truly appreciate your response)

• @Sara413 I would find it hard to be with someone who doesn't believe in God, because that conflicts with my beliefs. I would find it easier to be with someone who believe in God but grew up practicing religion in a different way, like a Sikh or a Jew. Some religious people I couldn't be with though if they were too orthodox.

• I don't believe in a god but I wouldn't go too far away from the eligion I was born into. Especially if they though I should or would convert. I want a woman of the same culture

• I'll date , maybe marry (?) someone with religious convictions. But I'm atheist and I won't get religious convictions just like that, because someone aks /tells me to.

• hell no
    i am good with maturation
    i am aethist and i love it,
    and i am allergic to religious bullshit

• definitely not if they can't accept me for my religion then i dont want them

• i could be with them but i would stay in the same religion i currently was

• I will not convert to another faith.

• Never. I will never change my belief system just for the person I am marrying. I would need to have an epiphany about religion before I could convert.

• I'd be willing to change the sect of my religion (Jewish here) but not into an entirely current religion. However if they wanted to have a non Jewish wedding or non Jewish children I would be open to that. But it's one of those things that you don't really know for sure until the time comes.

• i won't change faith. i dont want any religious types who love god more than they love me either, seems like a bad deal.

• I would marry someone who practices a different religion but I'll never change my religion for anyone

• I am actually a Christian. I would only marry someone else that is Christian. Maybe an Atheist as long as there is no force conversions. However that is it.

• I have no religion, I have a God.

• I'd say no, especially if the woman was a Muslim. Not a chance. I'll be "friends" with a Muslim, but I would not have any kind of relationship with one, would not fuck one.

• Change my faith for someone? I'd rather die alone in a cave.

• No I m Muslim and am Proud to be Muslim will not change religion/faith just for marrying someone whom I loved

• Not at all. But I'm open to being with a woman of another religion.

• Our religion must be the same.

• Not if I'm forced to forced change my faith.

• marrying into a different religion MAYBE converting no

• I'm Christian. I'd consider going Jewish for a girl, but anything else would be too different. Marrying someone with different morals is a bad idea.

• No β˜ΊοΈπŸ’•

• More from Guys
    31

What Girls Said 44

• As an agnostic I would have no problem marrying someone who is religious, but I would never change for them. I respect the beliefs of others but I expect mine to be respected as well. My mom's religious and my dad's an atheist, it worked out just fine for them because they respected each other's beliefs.

• I married someone who does not have the same believes. But I wouldn't change mine or try to change his.

• I'm atheist and my husband believes in god. If asked whether or not I could handle the fact he believes in god, I would answer I love the relationship more to allow him to believe whatever he wants. We respect each others' views, and basically know it's our own personal feeling that doesn't really require discussion. He thinks his way, I think mine. We are good with that.

To answer the second part - because of this, we both don't feel it's necessary to change or think the other person should change.

If you love each other, making it work out is quite easy actually.

• A long time ago, I had Married a Muslim Man out in Egypt. Being a Christian Here, dear, I never Changed my Own... Faith, nor my Love for God. However, when Living out there, I Followed his Culture and Respected Him and his Family.
    That was the Least of our Marital problems. Long Distance and the Sad Fact, not Faith, that I never went Back, which is Wack, is Why, no Lie, we are Estranged as of Now Somehow. xx

• The whole idea of changing yourself for someone is absolutely wrong. I couldn't change myself for anyone no matter how much I loved them. If you truly love someone then religion shouldn't even matter. You should love them for them and they should love you for you.

• I couldn't change my faith (or more so lack thereof) for someone else. That would be like me going from believing the sky is blue to believing it's red.
    I wouldn't mind marrying someone of a different faith as long as they're not crazy about it and wouldn't force me to change. If they can't change their faith for my sake, then it's unacceptable of them to think that they can change me not believing in a higher power.

• No and I wouldn't expect my potential husband to change like that either. If his core values/religious beliefs are in such conflict with mines, then as painful as it is, we aren't that compatible. It's 1 thing if 1 of you had a change of beliefs, but if they have to "play a part" to fit in to your life, then the relationship is very 1 sided and strained in my opinion.

• No. I will not marry someone of a different religion because it really does cause problems in relationships/marriage. I will not denounce my faith/beliefs for or because of a man or his family.

• Nope.

• I have no religion and I don't want to get married.
    But, if things were different, I could marry that person, but I wouldn't change my faith.
    I guess we would have to respect each other's differences.

• I personally would not be into that considering I'm comfortable with no religion dictating my life.

• Never. Faith is such a personal thing and I won't let anyone force or push me into changing my faith.

• If I love someone, yes I will. That is how you should sacrifice and adapt to the person who you would want to spend the rest of your life with

• No, hat l would go against my own values. I respect other religions but I wouldn't be comfortable sharing my life with someone who isn't spiritually connected with what I believe in. I don't think it can work, and I'll never change my religion of products make someone else change his religion for me.

• My family are all Muslims, my boyfriend is an atheist. I don't follow any.

• I'm not religious myself (not calling myself an atheist though) so I can't see myself being with someone who is very religious. But if it didn't affect our life that much ( or they were not that religious) I don't think it would be a problem.

• Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure this question was for someone like meπŸ€”, would not change my beliefs for anyone else though, it wouldn't be me anymore.

• No I would not

• Nope. I'm not religious and I can't see myself being happy in a relationship with someone who is.

• My family is a Christian except me and one of my brothers (who is more on the fence about it and just doesn't really thinkol about his beliefs much but still believes in god). I'm the only atheist in the family.

Anyways, one of my Christian brothers married a woman this spring who grew up non religious and has now converted. I've often wondered if she actually believes in this stuff or is just putting it on. I guess it doesn't really matter but I'm curious.

• yeah.. I won't change my faith tho

• No , I want to marry a Muslim man.

• No, I'm an Atheist, I can't just change that and suddenly say "I'm a Christian now". That's not how it works

• I don't know if I would change my faith but I would marry some one of a different religion, it's just another reason why I fell in love with that person.

• I am an atheist, and at this point in my life, marrying someone who is devout would go directly against my spiritual and ethical understanding of the world. No, I could not marry a person of any religious affiliation.

• nope it would be way too complicated

• I'm a non practicing Christian. I like being a non practicing Christian and don't want to be a practicing anything else. So I refuse to change my religion.

• I'm open to marrying someone who believes in a different religion or is Athiest but I would never change my religion because of it unless my believes truly, truly change. But not because 'I have to'.

• No, most definitely not.

• I am Assyrian Iraqi. A Christian. Me marrying an Arab, Muslim man is to me an unholy union.

• No, I'm not. They'd have to convert before marrying me, unfortunately.

• I'm not religious, and i feel that I would find it very difficult to marry someone who is religious.

• More from Girls
    14