Is it strange that I really would like to be a 50s style housewife?

So I am 18 but I would love to be able to go back to the 50s and be a housewife. I was wondering about other people's opinions on this. Personally there are a few reasons it's something I'd love:
The exact roles are clear. I'd look after the house, the kids and do everything at home whereas my husband would work in the day but in the evening he could relax.
There'd be no need for arguments since the head of the family, the husband, would be making the decisions. He could of course ask my opinion but ultimately it would be up to him.

I think families worked much better like that, and I know for a fact it worked for my rather traditional parents and also grandparents. So what do you think?

0|1

Most Helpful Guy

• What strikes me is that this was pretty much the 'norm' for decades past yet we have experienced such a powerful surge in gender equality, equal respect, equal rights and so forth (also transgender, lesbian and gay rights quite rightly so. Heterosexual people are not better or more powerful and the world is realising this thankfully). This in turn has gone further to stamp out the "traditional" albeit misogynistic ideology that once supported and protected your 50's housewife lifestyle. It's almost as if you're concerned that aspiring to this way of life is somehow wrong or not normal, this is wrong too because you're entitled to have your life the way you want to live it. I admire you for expressing your thoughts and there are men that would give an arm for a wife as you describe yourself. What about starting a dating app for gals like yourself that like the old school rules haha. Peace and love peeps x

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Each to their own, not for me though. I enjoy being an equal partner and sharing responsibility for the highs and lows

0|2
    0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 20

• There are lots of families like that close to where my family cottage is.
    The children are mostly homeschooled due to the local school closed. The men are most fishermen or farmers.
    The only downside is due to being in the country, there is only satellite internet that is often slow.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would love to marry someone who would take care of house kids and myself while I would take care of other things... or maybe if her income is higher than me we could reverse the role... when both in a couple are on full time jobs they ignore their other half and children too... coming from a person whose both parents are into full-time job.

0|0
    0|0
  • If that works for you, then other's opinions shouldn't matter. In fact, it was this exact lifestyle that has worked out for the best for the longest of time. It wasn't until people started to try changing things up, that people started getting divorced. However, realistically speaking it would be within your best convenience prior to becoming a housewife to know that your future husband is capable (financially) of taking on that role and having a housewife. If he's struggling financially, then it wouldn't be a good idea to be a housewife.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's fine. Not a bad way to live. The only problem is that the west is designed to be dual income households now so you would have to adapt to poverty or marry a very successful man.

1|1
    0|0
  • Nothing wrong with that. It's what you say... roles are clear. It works, but since feminism everything is done. Go for it.

1|2
    0|0
  • Not strange at all, as there are plenty of people that think the same way.

1|2
    0|0
  • Well I wouldn't have a problem with it but in todays society that isn't really possible. At least not in Sweden

1|1
    0|0
  • If you can afford it. There are many families where it's like that. Unfortunately, it only works if the husband is making very good money. Today, these women are called "soccer moms".

0|0
    0|0
  • It's not strange. Everyone want their own things they want to become

1|1
    0|0
  • Lol it’s definitely not for me and I don’t understand why a man would want that, but who am I to judge

0|0
    0|0
  • Nah, being lazy and unambitious has always been a thing.

0|1
    0|0
  • It looks more real right? Well you can always marry an amish guy. It is still an option.

0|0
    0|0
  • No that’s not weird at all. I wish more women felt the same

0|0
    0|0
  • That seems pretty cool to me

0|1
    0|0
  • nope your choice

0|1
    0|0
  • Its not strange, its lovely !!

0|0
    0|0
  • I think you could pull it off! :)

0|0
    0|0
  • No that’s hot! I would be attracted to you and I wouldn’t treat you in a degrading way like I feel it did though!

0|0
    0|0
  • What's also strange is that you claim to have had your clitoris removed.

0|0
    1|0
  • I would love that.
    I would love to come home from work and not have to cook for myself or clean or do laundry. Instead I would pick up my girlfriend or wife and take her out, have sex or spend time with her.
    That would be my dream marriage or relationship.

1|1
    1|0
    • Hmmm I guess some woman didn't like that huh

What Girls Said 3

• I wouldn't do it but there's no reason why you shouldn't.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not strange.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's nice for you if able to realize it, otherwise it's nice for you to have this fantasy

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes