Girls, would you take your husband's last name? Guys, would you take your wife's last name?

Would you take your spouse's last name?
Would you take your spouse's last name?
  • Yes, I would. (Explain why)
    Vote A
  • No, I wouldn't. (Explain why)
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I wouldn't do it.

1|0

Most Helpful Girls

• I would take their name if it was a better last name than mine if not I would keep mine.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, don’t intend on getting married.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I've always preferred the concept of hyphenating.

1|0
    0|0
  • We call each other by first name.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I already did. My Dad has my two brothers to carry on the family name. I have always been close to my husband's family, his little sister is like the sister I always wanted, they all love me like their second daughter so I'm proud to take his last name!

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope! It's just one of these old school traditions I don't like. There's such an implicit meaning behind it...

1|0
    0|0
  • No because i'm a man, usually a woman takes the family name of her husband because he leads and she follows, also he's the head od the house...

There is no question about that since it's going to be a church marriage...

0|0
    2|1
  • No I would want her to take mine. I'm the only son of my family. And I have a really freaking common last name, but still. It's mine, and I'd like to keep the tradition going. I was under the impression that it's normal for the girl to take the guy's last name anyways?

0|0
    0|0
    • Why would it be?

• Show All
    • There's nothing «normal» about it though...

• What do you mean? To my knowledge it has been done for hundreds of years to tie family lines together. Without that what's the point to even having a surname? Seriously. And who's would the kids get?

• YES, that is how it's supposed to be. Not the other way around unless he has no surname. You marry into his family and create a new one, not the other way around. Men seek women to marry. Women seek good men to be married to.

0|0
    0|0
    • Supposed to be according to who?

• Show All
    • Never assume somebody is religious just because they follow the Bible or believe in God or the traditional standards. That's rude. Somethings are just best left traditionally in that sense. Marry at a jungle, I don't care. But with surnames, it is a must. A man who does that is usually submissive.

• marriage is*

• I wouldn't ask a woman who doesn't want to be part of my new family and not publicly known as one family, one couple and one set of married parents. Hyphenated names are only a way of woman refusing to make it known as a committed couple. It would be nice if the kids had their parents name.

0|0
    0|0
  • well i guess she will be more intersted to take mine well my surname is from the elite class according to my indian class system , but since i been living in US it won't matter so if she is interested then can take mine or else she can keep her surname with her , does'nt bother me

1|0
    0|0
  • When I first got married, I took my husband's name. We had a family together but we eventually divorced. Some years later I remarried.

I wanted to take my new husband's name but I also wanted to have the same last name as my children. So my last name is hyphenated with my first and second husband's names. And since I also have children with my second husband, I also have their last name as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I did take mines last name it’s traditional but my man actually said he would take my name if it made me feel better but I couldn’t do that it just wasn’t right

0|1
    0|0
  • I took my husbands last name because I don't care about the whole situation (my husband did) and I want my kids to have his last name.
    Irish Catholics really care about their last names...

0|1
    0|0
  • In Shi'a Lebanese culture the girl keeps her name. So, my wife kept her name. And in my Irish culture the male keeps his name. My Gaelic surname is Celtic, royal, and many have died for it. So, I'll never abandon it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like my name. Besides who wouldn’t want to be Mrs. 000_000

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't. As important as the woman may be for me, she is always replaceable, and there is always the possibility of her doing something that would make me never want to see her or speak to her again. My family on the other hand, I love them unconditionally, and even if something terrible was to happen they will always be a part of me.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would only take my wife's last name, if my last name were a problem in some way. Such as being very difficult to pronounce, or had some double, nasty or sexual meaning.

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends what his last name is. If his last name is Butt then no. If his last name is King then yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't marry then. It's a traditional thing about marriage and if you don't like tradition you won't like marriage either. Spare the guys. You're unfit.

1|0
    2|1
  • My double-barreled surname is a little too long for any woman to wanna take 😢 But I have zero desire for marriage these days, so I won’t be in that situation anyway

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope, on my country is very rare to actually do so. Even if it wasn't, I'm actually not sure if I would do so.

0|0
    0|0
  • If he had an ugly last name. I dated a guy with the last name Egan, yuck. i like the last name of the guy I'm dating now but I would hyphenate

0|0
    0|0
  • If I get married, I want to have my husband's name :) Mainly because I'm old fashioned.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess because it’s something that’s always been done and I wouldn’t mind getting his last name I wouldn’t be loosing my identity or whatever.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would. Our name is part of our identity as a being, and the person that loves us definitely contributes to that being, so having a part of him/her in the name kinda makes sense.

0|0
    0|0
    • So you'd get her last name and she'd get yours at the same time?

• I wouldn't care doing something she wants would be a small sacrifice to pay for the woman whom I would love. I'd take her name if it makes her happy.

1|0
    0|0
  • I wouldn't mostly because I share my daughters last name and I wouldn't changes hers, I wouldn't want her to feel different in the family.

0|0
    1|0
  • Past tense, now, but I didn't, nor did she. Our idea was to give any boys my last name and any girls hers.

0|0
    0|0
  • I hate my scumbag father and i hate his family so yeah.

0|0
    0|0
  • I do not see why not, of course, I would only marry a woman I was truly in love with.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would take her name, and in fact, I have this in plans, because my is so horrible and it just invites making fun of.

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean depends on their name. Depends on the situation. Everyone knows me by my last name, and if I'm some hotshot established surgeon by that point and everyone knows me by the name, maybe I'll hyphenate it and add the partner's last name.

Really depends on the couple, the individual person, and the situation. What if his last name is not nice sounding, lol? What if he doesn't want to be associated with it anymore and just takes mine? You never know, but I'm not gonna say for sure 100% either one cause a lot of things might chance till then.

0|0
    0|0
  • *shrugs*. I like my last name (anderson) but maybe it wouldn't hurt having a different one lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not. My name starts with the same letter as my first name and thats too damn awesome to give up! lol

0|0
    0|0
  • I want to take my girl's last name. My family is shit

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't want to change my last name. Unless it's really cool then maybe I will.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yomp. My kids have his last name so I’d like it also 🤷‍♀️

0|1
    0|0
  • If she asks me to marry her I will take hers, if I ask to marry she must take mine.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would take his last name
    Anyway it’s in my tradition too

0|1
    0|0
  • I would... I think if I loved the other person so much, a name would be a petty issue with me

0|1
    0|0
  • I said "yes" but the more accurate answer is "maybe, depending on whether I like it or not"

0|0
    0|0
  • well i would prefer to keep my Scottish clan name if possible i would be happy to extend the lan if she wished to join haha

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't plan on getting married, but if I do, then yes. I will take my husband's name.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends if it takes longer to spell. Cerny is pretty short.

0|0
    0|0
  • Suchocki is harder to spell than North, but I'll take it.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would but it I made a name for myself then I would probably just keep mine and hyphenate.

0|0
    0|0
  • From my heart I speak that my wife should have my last name.

0|0
    0|0
  • I would. I think it is quite intimate to do that and quite significant too.

0|0
    0|0
  • I like my last name and its conveinient not to change it so im going to keep mine

0|0
    0|0
  • Not allowed in Egypt.:((xx

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on what their name is haha

0|0
    0|0
  • Probably not. I like my name.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes I would