Aren't we basically engaged at this point? What is engagement really?

lapinou_is_baybee
My boyfriend frequently speaks of wanting to marry me, verbalizes that he promises he's going to marry me, and even talks about how soon enough he'll get to call me his fiancee and then wife.

I don't find it weird or bad or anything of the sort, as I feel the same; however, it almost makes me feel like I'm, what my friend called, "engaged to being engaged."

Now obviously, I do personally think of being actually engaged as a more public and special thing, same with being proposed to properly, but the word "proposal" directly just means to pose a question, and if the question of marriage has already been acknowledged quite a bit where I've also agreed with what he's said, what is the point in not actually being engaged 100%, especially if he seems to have complete plans to marry me, that he openly mentions often?
3
2