Would it be reasonable to put a pause on my engagement because my fiance doesn't want to talk about a wedding?

Anonymous
I've been with my boyfriend for almost 5 years, and last year he proposed, and I said yes. The proposal was extremely casual and very obviously not planned, and I didn't believe he was serious at first, and to be honest I'm still not sure if he completely meant it. I wasn't expecting his proposal to be grand and extravagant, but I always thought that there would be a bit more forethought to it, like a ring, a necklace, flowers, something that makes it feel like he more or less planned it. To make the casual proposal worse, he still only refers to me as his girlfriend. I knew we wouldn't be getting married for a while so I just brushed it off.
Until our friends got engaged a few weeks ago, and they actually started planning a wedding and seemed to be enjoying the planning. I'm really happy for them and can't wait to go to their wedding (if the pandemic allows for larger gatherings next year). This sparked the bride to be in me and I started thinking and researching budgets and colours for our wedding. However, whenever I bring up anything having to do with our very much in the future wedding (due to pandemic and finances) with my fiance, he becomes very quiet and distant and just seems upset. And this is really upsetting me. I want to be able to talk colours and guests with him so I know how much to save up and plan for, but I never can without him shutting down. So I'm thinking about talking with him about putting an official pause on our engagement until he's ready to plan our wedding. Not calling it off exactly and we'll still very much be together, but just not considering us engaged until I can actually plan a wedding and feel engaged. So what are your thoughts?
3
2