Why is he joking about us being married?

Anonymous
there's a guy friend I'm close to and every once in a while he'll joke about us being married. We'll be doing something and he'll randomly say "this is like we're married" or if another one of our friends is around and either he or I ask each other to borrow money or something he'll be like "what? it's like we're married" all embarassed like. Someone once asked if we were married and he said no, but it wasn't like a quick NO! in a are you deranged? way. it was a simple, slow "nope" , but because I felt like maybe he was embarassed I took a step away from him. Then later he said "can you believe that guy thought we were married?". at the time because I was on the defensive I took it as he was like "ew gross" but now that I think about it, I think maybe he felt on the defensive. He sends me a lot of mixed signals. I am neither in like or dislike of him, so its not like I'm trying to read into things. I just wanna understand what is going on without coming out and asking him Because I think he'll be on the defensive. Does this guy have feelings for me and not sure how I feel about him? Anyway, why do guys joke about being married to a girl?
+1 y
to Pedantic: additionally, if he is calling it as he sees it, then what is he trying to imply? that he is disgusted by it or he is putting feelers out there to see if I feel the same- which is perhaps getting together with him and dating.
+1 y
he sends a whole whack load of mixed messages. sometimes he's over the top flirtiatous, sometimes he's cool as a cucumber chill
2
0