How much should I spend on Christmas gifts for a child?

Through my work, I'm sponsoring a child for Christmas this year. I have a wish list of items the little girl wants. But I'm allowed to buy as much or as little as I would like. I was wondering what's an appropriate amount to spend on gifts? This is my first year doing this. I have coworkers who are spending $10 to $100. So pretty wide range there.

1017

Most Helpful Guy

• Just buy something good. It doesn't matter as long as it's not lame- you should take the tag off anyways.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would look at her items before setting a price range... if she wants 5 small, $10 things I'd get them all and set $50 at the limit. If she wanted several smaller, cheaper things but one expensive item that would be useful and not just nice to have I'd get that.

I do Operation Christmas Child every year and set a $40 limit for each box though if you're just looking for a straight dollar amount 😊

What Guys Said 16

• Spending more time for a meaningful gift will bring both you and the girl greater joy than just spending more money. Sorry but that doesn't answer directly.

• Do u know the little girl. If you dont 50. Bucks is good but if your able to meet her and look in to her eyes u better work a few days OT.. i to do this at Chirstmas.

• You can't help anyone by hurting yourself so just do what you can without feeling bad.

• Go right in the middle, 50 is not too much right? Can get a few nice things too for her.

• Remortgage your home you silly fucker, go wild, buy your 10 year old a rolex, do that shit and make it a Christmas to remember...
    Maybe the homelessness of the following Christmas won't be that bad if your now 11 year old still has his rolex, but chances are he'll have been beaten and robbed for it long before next Christmas, probably days after the Christmas of receipt to be honest

• Give from the heart.

• What ever you feel comfortable with giving everything is appreciated

• Dollar store.

• Just dont buy clothes... please... if she's into toys, then get her the newest barbie, or whatevs.

• I would just buy a decent gift and not care about the money.

• For thousand doll hairs.

• depends on the child

• Every month few saving from income

• Everything 😲.. lol 😚

• .01% of your yearly salary

• just 1 million

What Girls Said 9

• It's really down to what you can comfortably afford. Charity is an amazing thing to do, and in fact more people should be doing it. But it's pointless if you end up beggaring yourself in the process.

• I feel like $40 is good get something she wants and then something useful.

• I don't typically like to put price tags on things. I find something that I put thought into and sometimes it's something that only costs 10. I think what you're doing is great! Look at the list and think what you think a child would prefer.

• This year I'm doing $160 each. Last year I spent about $215 each. It depends on what I wanna buy for them. I usually start buying Christmas about June though so I don't kill us financially and we can pay the bills every month.

• 20 dollars or less

• I wouldn't spend more than like £20

• give from the heart!

• It's so disheartening the amount of negative trolling responses to your question. Number 1, go with what you can afford, but if that is not an issue, perhaps under $50. Even for kids I know personally, I usually buy them one big gift, and then get them a variety box which I put together full of more stocking stuffer things which I wrap individually. It's more fun for them to open up the second box because they don't know what's in each little package.

• Any amount is fine if you are simply sponsoring. Is it because the family can't afford gifts? In that case I would spend more. I personally spend around $500 on my child's Christmas