Is the customer always right?

Do you believe in that saying?

why or why not?

1|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Nope, most often the customer is just an asshole.
    My husband is a complaints manager, and deals with the high profile/cost ones that come through the ombudsman and there is actually a formula they use to determine what we’ll wipe out and what we’ll fight against. The amount of money we throw away just to keep people happy is a joke, I’d tell them all to get fucked the cheap asses.
    That’s why I’m not allowed to speak with customers 😂

0|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think the customer is always correct. It's possible for them to be wrong, having misconception about things and it's possible for the business to be disagree with them. Why the quote "The customer is always right" is a thing is because the businesses thinks it's important to keep the customers happy so they wants to come back again and continuing being their customers. If the business don't satisfy the customers, the customers can choose to not return and then the business won't get their money. If they lose too many customers, then there would be lesser money.

There's examples on where the businesses have been very disagree with the customers and refused to do what the customers wanted. When a couple requested a Nazi cake with both the Nazi symbol and text where it's written "Adolph Hitler", the bakery refused to do it. I think it's understandable that the bakery didn't want to do so. Not only because I'm disagreeing with the ideology, but also because it's an unpopular ideology and the business didn't want to be associated with it. It could both affect their income and how they felt about themselves.

There's also cases where bakeries refuses to make cakes for gay weddings. I think it's silly, but it's not my problem if the business do it. It would only affect the business negatively. Especially in the Western world they would risk losing customers.

Sometimes I think customers is right and other times not. Same thing applies to businesses. If the business is doing something which isn't a good idea I think it was up to them and it's their fault if it goes wrong in some cases.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 31

• What's meant by that saying is not that the customer is right morally or technically, but that they should be TREATED as though they're in the right if you want them to continue being a customer for the company.

My first job was in retail and let me tell you, I lost more faith in humanity working there than I did while working in a federal prison.

So many times I had customers come in and make the most unreasonable demands, GENUINELY believing that they're in the right.

For instance, I've had customers try to return items that were clearly worn, sometimes soiled and torn, and didn't have the tag attached. It's against store policy to refund/re-credit such an item, and yet, some of these customers just wouldn't take no for an answer.
    I had this woman once say, "I paid money for this, therefore it entitles me to do what I want with it, including get my money back." One of the few times in my life that I've been so shell-shocked by someone's words that I was rendered speechless.

Other times, I've had customers try to bargain with me, completely unable to grasp the concept of "I'm not the owner of this stock, therefore I can't alter the price for you."

TLDR: Hell no, the customer is not right by any means, but you have to treat them as such if you want their money (and your job).

0|3
    0|0
  • No. Sometimes they are assholes who are just causing trouble for discounts.
    Unfortunately you still have to give them what they want if you want their money

0|5
    0|0
  • Definitely not, no. I'm a cashier/sales assistant at a pretty popular clothing store in the UK, known for having low prices. I don't know whether it's 'cause of that or whether customers are like this elsewhere, but it seems to make people think they can treat me and my colleagues like shit. In the past four weeks, I've had people try to steal money, call me a lazy, spoiled bitch for being unable to change money for them (due to said others attempting to steal money), tell me I'm stealing money from them (because they gave me the wrong money and wouldn't accept it), tell me that all of us should be fired for being shit. I've also watched two women actually come to fighting over a fucking shirt, a man allow his child to do cartwheels in the middle of the store (which is a huge store in the centre of the city, around 1pm, with a few days until Christmas, so you can imagine how busy it is) and trip up other customers, and I saw a woman shoving like five of the same dresses into her bag. Customers can be lovely at times (bless all the ones who've wished me a merry Christmas or told me I was doing a great job recently!) and they can also be right (a lot of the policy is dumb and I can understand why it might be frustrating, especially in such a busy, hectic environment) but generally, they seem to be rude, arrogant and show a total disregard to everyone else in the store.

0|1
    0|0
  • To an extent, but there is a limit for everything. When customers are constantly a problem and want free things, you will eventually lose money dealing with them. At that point it's best to stop serving them and it's no longer in the best interests of the business having them as a customer

0|1
    0|0
  • Definitely not. There are always idiots who have no idea what they're talking about. You just have to politely tell them that they're wrong. Some customers just want to blame the company for everything.

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, sometimes the customer is rude, arrogant and obnoxious.
    But we need to be polite anyway, because that is your job, if you drop to
    There level you could loose your job.

1|2
    0|0
  • It's like the saying about marriage... happy wife, happy life. The customer is always right, even when they're wrong.

0|4
    0|0
  • Definitely not. That saying doesn't even make sense. So many idiots will walk into a store and blow up on innocent cashiers or other employees for the dumbest reasons.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not always.
    Sometimes people use and abuse that... and that's not right.
    In my country usually the customer is never right - which is quite the opposite of America... we don't expect anything...
    Neither extreme or absolute is correct.

0|1
    0|0
  • No a lot of people lie to get stuff for cheap for example. One time I saw a women rip out the eye of a stuffed animal and took it to the cashier and said that she wanted it cheaper because it was broken

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Girls

What Guys Said 44

• I believe in it in theory but in reality, this motto is unfortunately oftentimes used to exploit low-level employees in companies. For example where I live, in some restaurants the waiters have to pay for products if they mess up an order. Say, I tell you that I want a coke but you bring me a coffee and you have to toss the coffee because nobody else wants it, then you have to pay it. Now, if the mistake is clearly with the waiter, I do think he or the restaurant should pay the extra costs. But what if it's actually the customer's fault? My brother has worked as waiter in the past and he told me how people sometimes order stuff and 20 minutes later, when their order arrives, they stubbornly deny having ordered it. There were several times when my brother was forced by his boss to pay for these things and if your salary is already quite low, that's really not cool.
    So no, the customer isn't always right. We should all treat each other with basic human respect and fairness and without all these stupid hierarchies.

0|1
    0|0
  • Customer is always right isn't a saying. It is a strategy to increase your customers. Normally American business giants use this strategy. In my country, seller doesn't gives a fuck if you don't like the product.

1|2
    0|0
  • "The customer is always right" obviously does not mean that the customer is always correct. It simply reflects an attitude that a business should try to keep its customers happy (within reasonable limits.) To the extent that such an attitude makes customers happy and, therefore, they give more business to the establishment, it is a helpful slogan.

0|2
    0|0
  • No, the customer isn't always right. But the idea behind the saying is still a good one. Which is basically that a business should strive to meet its customers' needs and go the extra mile to do that. But obviously that has to be within reason, and some customer demands or behavior would be outside what is reasonable.

0|3
    0|0
  • It's true if you wish to keep said customer as a regular, but some people are just so toxic they are not even worth keeping as a regular.

0|3
    0|0
  • No.

In the last few years, the customer has started to take the piss, expecting immediate redress for the most trivial of issues.

I've really had enough of the compensation culture. I think the internet has made it even worse, with no questions asked refunds etc.

0|2
    0|0
  • Not always, but you have to afford every customer a certain level of respect and flexibility. That being said, big spenders or regular customers are more right than others lol... I cringe every time I see or hear about a restaurant owner losing a £400 table for the sake of “procedure”.

0|1
    0|0
  • the customer is an idiot. you need to teach them what your business does, and be in control of the boundaries of said business.

some dickhead comes into my cafe with his own milk, he can walk back out again. but if enough people suggest that milk i will provide it for my customer base.

0|1
    0|0
  • I understand it but there is a fine line of respect and decency that can’t be crossed. That line is different for everyone, but for me I can withstand almost any amount of disrespect if I had to. Sometimes you have to forego the “customer is always right” mantra and defend or stick up for yourself during disrespectful bouts. It’s called self respect. You’ll feel much better doing that then if you uphold the “customer is always right” for years and feel like a spineless person. Depends on the job too as well, but not to a great degree as you may think.

0|1
    0|0
  • No. I used to work in a shop and I had to problem telling customers they were wrong. I had people asking for discounts on TVs or claiming to have seen an item before that I knew we'd never ever sold.

0|3
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes