Should children know the cost of their gifts to appreciate the value?

1|1

Most Helpful Guys

• No, kids have no understanding of the value of money. You, can however, use certain parenting techniques to teach them. For example, giving them pocket money for doing chores and have them buy their own clothes and toys with that money so that they appreciate the valur of hard work and money. Very good if you have to support multiple children.

0|1
    0|0
  • When I was a kid, I preferred to know because I was curious and I wanted to estimate and compare various things, the same way I learned to appreciate classical inequalities like Cauchy Schwartz, AM GM, rearrangement and majorization etc. Ideally I would want my children to appreciate classical analysis in the same way. But you know how kids are, the more you push them in one direction the more likely they run to the opposite direction :)) so I think I would offer them a choice, I would ask them if they want to know, if they don't care, fine. (I'd only disown my kids if they don't understand Rudin's principle of mathematical analysis before eighteen)

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• No, and If you buy anything moderately expensive, they'll expect the same amount spent on them.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 19

• I would say no. It puts too much
    emphasis on price tags and look
    at what we could afford than to
    relay a message in a teaching
    moment.

I believe children can be taught
    to appreciate the neighbor's ten
    dollar birthday gift just as much
    as mom and dad's five-hundred
    dollar gaming console.

Being awarded gifts is a privilege
    and not a right. Thus as parents
    we giveth and showing lack of
    appreciation can get things
    taken away.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lord no. Thats entirely inapropriate by my thinking. Children by and large can't appreciate the value of anything because they take so much for granted. The electricity bill, for example... or rent or mortgage.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well teach them how to appreciate other people's hearts as they'd spend on that gift
    Not about the money and how many digits of that amount it'd be. Quality not quantity. ;)

0|0
    0|0
  • Growing up I was taught to appreciate the gift, not its value. But when I was as school smartphones and iPads weren’t a thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • I dont think so, even if you told them the price, they won't know how hard is to get the money... So difficult to explain how much effort you gotta do for them

0|0
    0|0
  • No because they don't have any concept of the value of money, so it will just complicate things

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Because they would value what it cost more than the gift itself.
    I know I don't care about the price of my Christmas gift. All I care is opening it and having a surprise.

0|0
    0|0
  • Kids are stupid. They won't know any value of an item outside of their own interest in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the age of the "kid" and the what/why of the goft.

0|0
    0|0
  • hmmm. I guess so but not to an anal retentive point.

0|0
    0|0
  • They wouldn't appreciate it anyways. Kids don't understand the value of money.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope. Cost doesn't matter. People should value it cause their loved ones cared enough to buy them something nice.

0|0
    0|0
  • No why ruin it for them?

0|0
    0|0
  • Not children.
    But sure old teens and older.

0|0
    0|0
  • No I don't think so

0|0
    0|0
  • no i don't think so.

0|0
    0|0
  • definitely

0|0
    0|0
  • They have to appreciate the thought.

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope.. never.
    They should see and witness the underprivileged.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• Have parents Gotten that Shallow? xxoo

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it should be about the gift not money

0|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely not.

0|0
    0|0
  • Just let them enjoy the toy and moment. We all did when we were young. And didn’t question the cost. But in the end we’re all happy.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes