I'll give you 100k, but there's a twist

Say I gave you 100k, what would you do with the money? Now here's the catch. You can use the money to buy anything you want, but you, and absolutely no one else would have access to the thing you bought for ten years. After the 10 years though, it would be in your control. Under those circumstances, what would you buy? You don't have to use all the money either. But any money left over will automatically go to charity, and they too won't have access to it for 10 years also

Btw, if you say something like add a new deck to your house, or a new roof, or something like that, you simply won't have access to your house for a decade, sorry! Essentially, anything your money touches, you won't have access to it for ten years, and no one else will either until the ten years are up.

59

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd invest in alternative energies like natural gas.

Tech stocks are my strength but those need to be watched very closely and can meet a relative peak and fall back down to Earth in a 3 year window. If you said 5 years, I'd look into under performing tech stocks that have strong leadership, an established niche, and are willing players in the current and future technology arena.

But since it's 10 years that all means nothing. It's a shot in the dark. Bonds and treasuries have such pathetic interest rates its sure to be a loss after 10 years.

What Girls Said 5

• Can I buy bonds or GIC's with the money? Or does that count as not spending it? If it's acceptable, that's what I'd buy with about $75,000 of it because essentially, I'm spending the money but am guaranteed a return on it, I can wait 10 years.

Then, I'd use some of it for a trip to Ireland with my best friend (I'd pay for his trip out of my own money and pay for mine out of the $100,000).

And, I'd probably use some to get my Masters degree. The rest, well it can go to charity.

After the 10 years, I'd use the money I invested to pay off the mortgage on the house I hopefully have and invest anything left over for retirement.

• A hospital, or a school.

Maybe I'll need it after 10 years after all. :P

Also, I want it to be a charity. So I wouldn't care when would it be accessible

as long as it would work later on. ^-^

• A place in the assisted living home? Jk

Land in Hawaii.

Mmmm 100k isn't much lulz

• Then I would invest it, put it into a savings plan and watch as I collect interest on it for the next 10 year's.

• Gold bars and donate to charity

What Guys Said 8

• I would buy a large piece of land in some rural area where land is cheap (say $500 and acre), then have it rezoned as agricultural land to minimize taxes. I would plant it with seedlings for future lumber/firewood harvest. 10 years latter they would be ready for harvest. At about 5 cords or lumber/firewood for 10 years of growth per acre that's a lot of lumber/firewood. Current rates for firewood is about $185 per cord, in 10 years it's likely to be more (call it $200 a cord). Depending on the cost of the land, taxes to maintain it, cost of seedlings, and cost of labor to plant them, I could probably double to triple my initial investment in returns from the wood alone and also get a gigantic plot of land after the forest was cleared that I could either replant and then repeat the same process on, or sell off if the land in the area had appreciated significantly. =D

• I see you've given this a lot of thought!

• Not really... Took me about 2 seconds to come up with the idea, and 30 seconds on Google to find the growth rates and current prices. The rest is simple math.

• Either artwork or toilet paper.

• buy shares and hoe after 10 years they would go up and you could have made millions just by not touching it over 10 years

• Or they could have gone down by a lot. There are no guarantees when it comes to investing!

• Established companies that join the S&P 500 have almost no upside in terms of large capital gains.

• Land in Montana. :)

Great question, by the way.

• I will probably get those 100k from you, and kinly say F***off ;) And buy whatever I want :D My game my rules.

• i would put myself on a site like trademe and buy myself just to see what happens XD

• 67' elanor mustang... Itll go up in value in 10 years plus its the car of my dreams

• stocks in oil or precious minerals/metals...probably not gold. perhaps diamonds. maybe some land would work nicely.