How do I confirm my suspicions without scaring him away?

I recently started dating this guy and I really like him. I've been hurt a lot in the past and I'm worried I'm being overly skeptical. I received a text saying "I love you baby" from him that he says was meant for his niece. I knew it wasn't for me since it was sent long after our conversation had ended. I also found out that he lied to me about working tonight and he's been kind of secretive about his hours. I am wondering if he has a girlfriend and I'm the other woman. I don't want to be in that situation and would just like some advice on how to find out what's really going on without potentially losing him if there isn't anything going on.

42

Most Helpful Girl

• Ron61 is wrong, Nothing wrong with checking up on people . Especially if you have suspicion , I never had an uncle say I love you baby . It's I love you , And what time was it when he sent the message . Be smart and use good judgement , Follow your gut .

What Guys Said 2

• it might be nothing but I don't know a single guy who calls their relatives or children baby.

• You have to trust him, you shouldn't check up on people you don't really know that well,because that will drive him away.

What Girls Said 3

• Hmm.. something smells fishy here.

I agree with Jager66, never have I ever called a relative baby or even a friend.

Don't go following him or anything, does he have a Facebook or anything? Do you have any mutual friends?

Just keep your cool, don't sleep together until you know for sure. Hold out.

• How do you even text 'I love you' to the wrong person? It is not something you would say to everyone so any normal person would want to make sure they are sending it to the correct person. And he lied about his work hours... Unless he is a spy like in movies, it makes sense that they have to be secretive. He doesn't seem like he would be the one you can trust and rely on. Any guy who isn't honest with me has lost me.

• play it cool, a cheater is bound to slip up and be caught... just keep your guard up