Why does it seem like every time I say something, the conversation ends?

I'm in a new class this year. In a new class, you generally learn to make new friends. I've been trying (not too hard but just enough I think) to make friends, converse. In this particular class, it seems like every time I say something, the conversation stops.

for example:

say someone is talking about something that happened to him or her over the break. I will relate to him or her by telling the story of a similar if not the same occurrence in my life. but soon after I finish the story there is a semi awkward pause.

what's with that? it's not like I was talking about tuna when he or she was talking about graduation and college plans.

can you help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

11

What Guys Said 1

• I've seen that happen and in my experience it happens with someone people talk trash about behind their back. They're nice to that person to their face but everyone talks about them behind their back or dislikes them they just don't know it.

or the person has said something awkward.

I'm not saying that's the case with you but those are the situations where I've seen that happen.

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe they think you're trying to one-up them with your story. Maybe try instead to ask questions about their story, or about them. The easiest way to make friends is to ask questions and be interested in the answer.. just remember, People love to talk about themselves. ; )