Do you agree with the quote "Love is not a feeling, it's an ability"?

Do you agree with it? Disagree?

I believe it is both.

• Agree
  • Disagree
  • Both, love is not only a feeling, it is an ability.
    Vote C

411

Most Helpful Girl

• I definitely agree with it. Loving someone is not easy, it takes effort and sacrifice. Loving someone conditionally is not real love and is for the most part, is based on feeling. It is easy to 'love' someone when The going is good and they haven't done anything bad enough to cost you a great deal of something. The real test of true love is based on if you would still stick around and/or forgive a person when they cause you a great deal of sacrifice. Whether it is that they hurt you, destroyed your reputation, deceived you, changed in behavior , changed in looks, etc. Basically, true love is unconditional, is kind, is forgiving, is selfless, is sacrificial, is gentle even when aggravated.

What Guys Said 11

• Just a response to the anon. guy. Because that mindset has always bothered me:

A biochemical reaction constitutes every other emotion we experience. So is each perception of how we think of people are based on how they speak, move etc. But if you reduce the human experience to a simple "biochemical reaction in the brain and nothing more" then you must not believe in anything. The feelings we have aren't real? Okay, If that is so and everything is just a side effect of our genetic makeup, and in reality, relationships, our feelings and the world as a whole is just bland then I will gladly be the first to blow my brains out.

To think so close minded about love and the human experience, to reduce life, feeling and connection to a chemical reaction and to go without belief, regardless of whether this all is just a sick dream or not, is very simply, suicide. Sure it may just be a biochemical reaction, but the words we speak are real. The actions we take because of love is real. We have an effect on people around us whether we see it or not. Don't live your life under such blinded, faithless terms; it will only bring you confusion and leave you lost. We live for connection to other people. Whether it be a best friend or your oldest lover. It is what we live for. Why do you think you're on this website? Why do you think it even was made?

p.s. Hollywood fantasies ARE bullsh*t.

• I think whoever came up with that quote was trying way too hard to be deep.

• I vote for C because you can learn to love, and you feel it.

• Love is a feeling, having a real strong loving relationships, however, is an ability.

• I believe love is a right and a responsibility, that too many people abuse

• A feeling yes but not an ability. It is a decision.

• Yes I do. I know people that can't possibly love anyone.

• Ability? No. I believe it is an action. An action that comes from the mind and soul and requires nothing back as it is unconditional.

• @PatrickRory, biochemical reactions in the brain are very real. Nobody said they weren't real.

"Why do you think you're on this website? Why do you think it even was made?"

It was made for entertainment purposes and perhaps to make money through ads and promotions, and used primarily for entertainment purposes and perhaps as a social media.

• It's a biochemical reaction in the brain and nothing more.

• Pretty much. Sorry to ruin every girls Hollywood fantasy.

• False. You are basically saying that biological reactions control us, when in fact WE control biological reactions. A depressed person isn't depressed because of biological reactions for instance. If it were so, then people would randomly be depressed for no reason, and would just as immediately, would stop being depressed since reactions keep occurring constantly in our body. But that isn't the case. Instead, people get depressed because of how they chose to react to circumstances.

• You are not correct.

• I think it is both. The problem is too many people just think it is a feeling and fail to realize that if you want a happy marriage or relationship, you have to make love a skill. The initial lust and infatuation with another person wears off over time. If you don't have love the skill and know how to be forgiving and practical, your "love" won't last. You need both, but I'd argue the "ability" is even more important in the long run.

What Girls Said 3

• Love is not an ability. Any idiot can fall in love. Conserving love and building a relationship with love as its foundation is an ability. If love were an ability we could all read a book about loving someone you are not attracted to and falling in love with them because you follow the directions.

• It's an ability to feel those feelings. Some people are not capable of love for that same reason

• I think love is a feeling, a capability ,an honor, an obligation, an act, an attack, an experience, an abyss...I think you _feel_ love before you discover whether or not you have the facility _to_ love.