"We want what we can't have?"

I hear people say this all the time. has there been some scientific evidence to back this up or is this just something people say cause we have no answers?

41

Most Helpful Girl

• Because we focus our desires on wanting something which is missing from our lives.

Every person has unlimited wants, but limited resources which in turn makes them look for alternatives. Want is a feeling of desire. It is a basic character of humanity. People at some point in their lives are not going to be satisfied with what they have. Want causes scarcity which is a perpetual problem existing in the society.

What Girls Said 3

• It's human nature to assume something that looks like something we want is going to be better.

• I don't know why... I just know that it is true... At least for me. And I'm really scared I'll never fall in love with someone who loves me back...

• It makes sense and it happens all the time

What Guys Said 1

• It's more appealing, it probably is linked to desire, not only that but also a perceived status etc. I'm pretty sure there's been some studies on it. As for your question a perfect example is a baby that cries for a toy car, the only thing is that another child is playing with it, that and the fact that ten minutes previous that same car in the now crying childs vicinity was idle and not being used.