I am small, can I ever be taken seriously as an adult?!

Like it says, in short. 5 feet flat. I am also small. Just petite in my build so I'm around 93-96 lbs. it fluctuates. Anyways I have always been a small kid, I mean in fourth grade I was pudgy but still small and short. Therefore my line of vision (that is, lower than everyone else's) is normal to me. But not to others :( people say that I am "so cute" or "like a pixie" but I am 18 and it frustrates me. I feel like I'm not taken seriously. And that also boys wouldn't be interested in me because I look so small. Would you assume that I am some delicate girl seeig me with these measurements? Sometimes I feel like my boyfriend thinks of me as this little doll and it is so irritating! I have hard core short girl syndrome I suppose...

520

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 19

• My wife is 4'10" and is one of the most confident people I know. She's from the Philippines, so her height is a lot more average than it would be here in the US. I'm 6'2" tall, so we sometimes look like father and daughter from a distance instead of husband and wife.

She doesn't let her height get in her way, and never has. She believes in herself and uses that confidence to win people over. They may eye her dismissively to begin with, but those who spend even a little time around her quickly reassess their opinions of her. She's in her 40s now, but still has the body of someone in her early 20s. Also, as recently as two years ago she was carded before she could buy lottery tickets in a local grocery store. At her age, she was grateful to be considered under the age of 18 and actually thanked the clerk who carded her.

Things will get better over time, so just use this time to enjoy your youth and begin to build the character you'll need to get you through your adult years. Keep your chin up, your back straight, and never lose faith in yourself because you're a woman full of potential who can have a very successful life if you want. My wife's proof of that.

• That's a good example thank you for sharing! Hopefully I can do this as well and Hirofumi boys won't always see me as this little cute doll since I am a very strong willed do it myself kind of person in reality

• Alright smalls listen close: tiny, petite girls are the BEST so don't ever hate on your stature. Second, your physical size as a woman is not what commands seriousness, it's your presence, your confidence, and body language. So hold yourself up with pride and speak like you own the place. Finally, any person who gives you crap about your size is small in their mind and you deserve to be around much more respectful people so don't let them get to you :)

• Thanks I try. After being harrassed or misunderstood since I was in middle school it just gets old

• but if you're a harass freakin terror like you say you are and you're truly 100% believe it, would you really let what people say dictate your self worth the way it does? No. Do you struggle with some negative thoughts that have been wired into your head from past experiences? Like thoughts that make you feel bad about yourself or worthless, usually triggered when people comment about your height?

• Meant to say badass freakin terror haha. I'm on my iPod and it "corrects" words but usually ends up changing them to something completely weird haha.

• im only 5' as well. I have been told that I carry myself like someone that is 6 foot. the way to get people to take you seriously is to dress like a adult and your attitude is everything.

• lol a lot of short girls are like you, and go through the same thing around your age. You are struggling to be seen as a woman. How you are seen will be how you carry yourself. Some girls collapse inwards and hide in their shell and are unable to face life and get treated like a kid. Others get really bold and overly aggressive trying to be seen and get treated like they have a napoleon complex. If you avoid the extremes and are intelligent and assertive, then you will be taken seriously. Don't worry a lot of guys like short girls.

• look at Judge Judy. I know she's a popular television star, but go way back in the early 90's when she was a high position judge in brooklyn for real. watch the videos.

she's about your height and size, yet she was more intimidating than all the men in the court she faced combined.

• some guys have a lolita complex. and like small girls lol.

As long you stay mature it should be fine.

• It really isn't though:( I am a very mature girl but at seventeen a waiter asked if I wanted a kids menu. I was so devastated! Haha OK not decades but it was a blow to my ego

• Appreciate your youth, hell up until last year I still had to show ID to buy lottery tickets lol. Because I'm so young looking and don't drink or smoke.

Enjoy these moments.

• I guess you're right. My mom is 38 and poeple think she is in her twenties and she had the same problem so I guess it won't suck forever. I just want to be taken seriously is all

• Oh lighten up

Being short is a luxury.

My girl is 6" and she's not taking seriously either.

Have fun, smile and look confident, that's what really shines, and attracts

Use your "doll" powers wisely and the world is yours

• I think either extreme is hard. Being really tall or really short butting would be harder to be really tall as a girl since boys would all be shorter than you.

• Being cuter than average in no way relates to how seriously people take you. You can be tiny and a badass or tall and a weakling, don't let your size(and thus, how easy you are to carry or how pretty you look) tell you otherwise. Look at it as a feature more-so than a defining trait.

• my brother is over a foot taller than his wife and she's only 2 inches taller than you, she also gets called a pixie all the time and cute blah blah blah. for a lot of guys that's EXACTLY what there looking for

• Yeah but it annoys me. I'm not a cute person trust me. Haha

• Well think about you being a sensitive guy but people always assume you're this big jock kind of person where you a "mans man" and all that but it wasn't you at all. Wouldn't it be frustrating to be misjudged by stupid appearances ALL THE TIME?

• quite the opposite, people look at me and assume I'm mr friendly giant lol personally as much as I know I'm big and all and can still be seen as strong and the rest of it that I would prefer. tbh as much as people say what they want, it won't ultimately matter when you find that special someone, cause they will probably just see you for who you are

• Honey, men are most attracted to a confident woman...it's not your size or shape...it's all about how you carry yourself...I'm sure you're a gorgeous female...just accept the way you are and make the most of your petite size...it does make for some fun under the sheets...teehee...

• What is wrong with being short? NOTHING AT ALL.. Most women are short and us guys like short women so don't worry k BE MORE CONFIDENT IN YOUR SELF trust me you can be short but if you have CONFIDENCE it's all good

• I like petite girls. In fact girls who are over like 5'5..I don't prefer as much even though I'm about 5'10-5'11. And I've known some of these small girls to be a pretty good time ;)

• Well I am really against guys like think of me as weak or dekaliter or thinking I can't defend myself because I am a girl, and a small one at that. I hate hearing comments from guys like "wow you're so small" or "I could break you in half" or my most hated "can I carry you?" Hive me a break I'm a fricken person not a puppy.

• Nothing wrong with being short. I think it has to be more how you act and talk than what you look like. At first glance they might see you as being really cute and small but if you have a good conversation with them they will see you as an adult

• That's true. My boyfriend seems like he has a need to protect me. I know it's a guy thing but I feel like its even more because I am really small. I am a big "do it myself" kind of girl. Any suggestions how to handle that?

• That's because you don't walk around with a light saber all the time :p

• True... :)

• what's wrong with being a little doll, I love girls like that!

• Ew. Everything. Sorry don't take it personally I just hate it. I'm an independent strong willed person. Not some cutesy little trophy girlfriend. Ugh it is so obnoxious. I am not a doll I am a person. I want to be seen for actual characteristics of mine.

• Yeah k you lift me right over your head. And I'll spit in your eye

• no you won't because I'm gonna give you a nosey...

• I don't see why your height prevents you from being taken seriously.

• I am seen as a child, "cute girl" things like that. People's first impressions of me

• Yes being misunderstood

• Some people who even know me quite well still say "omg, I didn't know you swore" even though they have heard me swear many times before.

• https://www.YouTube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

maybe you got some reason to live :P

• I find myself attracted to both short girls and tall girls. Actually this girl I like right now is only slightly taller than you and really cute looking. You should take cute as a compliment, not all girls are cute. No, you'll never be a supermodel, but that's okay, plenty of men are still attracted to you.

• Yeah it's not a concern about being attractive to guys but more just being seen with respect. I feel like either people are A gawking about how "cute and little I am" or B treating me like a child.

• It's more about your attitude than your height. In my work place there are a few very short women who are also confident, like to lead and present themselves in a serious way. No one gives them any disrespect at all. And there's this tall girl who is too sweet and gentle for her own good, she doesn't know how to stand up for herself, and people take advantage of her and treat her like a child. It's about your personality more than anything.

• I like it cause it makes it seem like it would be easier for me to whisk you off your feet and give you a nice kiss :)

What Girls Said 5

• "They've been sayin I was short all my life!"- KH lol. But I know how you feel and some of my family members. We get carded alot, I get mistaken for a lost child at the grocery store a many of times. I don't really let it bother me. People usually think the same of me and I'm even a boxer but look at the brightside. They let us smaller girls get away with a lot especially if you get in trouble or need help for something.

• A lot of the girls where I am from are around your height. I'm taller than most of my girl friends, and I'm 5"4'; however, when I go other places, I feel like the girls there are at least 5"6'. If you're looking for a job or just want to look older: heels, make-up (done properly!), and use big words. As for the boy department- there's a plethora of men who think short girls are really cute. They say they like to pick them up and cuddle... I'm a girl who likes guys so I wouldn't know.

• I like guys but not to be seen as some doll to them. I'm kinda a tough girl on the inside

• Let's just say, you'll be happy you're small & petite & "cute" when you're older...

Studies have shown taller women demand more presence and are more likely to be hired/promoted, but socially speaking, short women are perceived as more attractive by males...

• I'd rather be successful than attractive D: I don't give a crap what I look like! But I think you're right I'll thank my genes later when I am still skinny and in my 40s :) (my great aunt is 56 or so and a size two!)

• Who on earth is going to tell you no lol

• Plus 18 is still a kid . Although I thought I was an adult then. Wait till you pay a morgage then your an adult . Not when you can legally f***

• Aww well that's sad, I lived on my own from 16, not 13 it must of been tough for you and you ve done really well to be here now. But seriously I'm 26 and I still talked to like a kid etc as I look young. Try to feel more confident about it, men mostly like shorter women as it makes them fell big and your attitude will be what your judged on professionally . I find that everyone wants the opposite of what they are. You should enjoy being 18. I really wish I was again ! I didn't mean to sound bad

• It's how things go you kbow? Sometimes you get dealt a cramp card but oh well. Yeah I think I'm just going to have to be confident. I hear that a lot from the others answering

• I am short too. Not as short as you, but in the Dutch community where I live, 5'4 is considered borderline midget. Everyone else is 6'0-7'0 with 6'4 being the running average.

Anyway, my boyfriend treats me like a little kid too even though I have him by 2.5 years. He has me by 13 inches. As long as you stay mature and intelligent they soon learn to respect your opinion though. It also helps if you are physically able to keep up with them. It's harder for us short ones, but I made it through a training camp with my entire high school football team (all 6'0+ and outweighing me by about 200 lbs) and I even beat a majority of them in the speed, agility and even some of the strength activities. And yes, I beat them since each activity was an individual one. And I'm no giant. I' 5'4 and weigh 113 lbs.

It bothers me that the tall ones automatically assume us short ones are weak and delicate. I'm going into Criminal Justice for goodness sakes! One would think I would be able to handle my own.

Anyway, just ignore them and sooner or later they'll learn to respect you. Some may never respect you or see you how you want to be seen, but that's when you just show them up :) Good luck!

• Thank you this is a great answer! I know people associate short with weak and delicate but it's not true nor is it flattering! I think I'll just have to keep at it my best like you said. Thanks!