My English is better than some native English speaker, HOW?

i duno if it would be accurate to say English is not my native language Because I moved to an English speaking country when I was 12, but still I wouldn't call it my mother-tongue.

So I am perplexed when I see native English speakers spell "whether" as "weather", "too" as "to", and "than" as "then" etc. etc.

how can they make such a gigantic mistake? those words have completely different meaning, it is just impossible to mix up the two IMO, especially when a non-native like me would never make those mistakes. I just don't get it.

109

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people are awful spellers.It is not to say they don't know the difference between words.Sometimes when people are writing or typing quickly,they will make those types of errors.That is why there is...spellcheck. The example of "whether and weather" is a perfect example of two completely different meanings,yet the same sound.Proofreading would have been that individuals friend.As far as "to and too",yes...some people do not understand the difference,or even think there IS a difference.It just boils down to people either educating themselves,or following up on spelling mistakes and improving it.But I don't think its that big of a deal.Other peoples illiteracy doesn't bother me,its not my concern.I have bigger fish to fry.As long as I am consistently educating myself,thats all that really matters.

• you raised a good point, which is that, why do people like me get so annoyed by spelling and grammar errors while people like you can just say " calm down, what's the big deal?" I just can't understand this attitude of not caring about being the most perfect that you can be? and I am not just talking about grammars here.

I mean, what do you live for if you don't even care about being the best/most perfect that you can be?

Do you just drift by and say "what's the big deal?" to everything?

• Haha...are you kidding me?I lost interest in wanting to speak with you because I mispelled a word.This has to be a trolling question.I'm typing on my tiny phone so mistakes are bound to happen.I don't have time or energy for you.Bye.

• "mistakes are bound to happen"...says it all about you, doesn't it ? lol, BYE BYE.

What Girls Said 9

• it happens. it just happened several times to you while typing up this question,and you've been living in an English speaking country since you were 12. people rarely learn the grammar of their native language properly-it's just not useful.

my English grammar is much better than my bosnian grammar,because while I did mostly learn English off the tv,i did have courses which meant having to learn grammar rules. and bosnian I simply use for communicating,which is far simpler,while it is nice when people use proper grammar,it's not necessary for conveying a message.

• nothing is necessary.

did you konw I can tpye a msesage like tihs and you wuold stlil undrestnad what I am tyring to say?

doesn't make it right though, does it?

• as long as we understand each other,the message is doing it's job,communication serves to share information. the only problem is that the less we care about rules,the more differences there are in how people communicate,which can lead to people not understanding each other. still,small mistakes don't make a difference.

• urghh..you are right. Why should I care? LOL. This discussion is over.

• I don't know either. As a native English speaker myself, I share your frustrations. It really bothers me when native speakers make stupid mistakes. It all comes down to laziness. It makes me sad.

When you learn a language, however, they tend to teach you correct grammar. When you are brought up with that language you learn to speak how the people you're around do.

• Correction:

"My English is better than some native English speakers, HOW?"

"I don't know if it would be accurate to say that English is not my native language because I moved to an English speaking country when I was 12, but still I wouldn't call it my mother-tongue. So I am perplexed when I see native English speakers spell 'whether' as 'weather,' 'too' as 'to,' and 'than' as 'then,' etc. etc. How can they make such a gigantic mistake? Those words have completely different meanings. It is just impossible to mix up the two IMO, especially when a non-native like me would never make those mistakes. I just don't get it."

I wouldn't get too cocky if I were you, you made quite a few mistakes yourself. I don't think it's too hard to remember to capitalize the first word in a sentence, but you did it anyway. Unfortunately, most people just aren't grammatically competent.

• EXACTLY.Who is this guy?Of course he would be anonymous asking this.

• This dude is just getting offended that his question was a FAIL. I'm waiting for someone to knock this question down to the ONE star it deserves.

• pluralizing is still not nearly as big a mistake as "to" and "too", and FYI, it did cross my mind on whether I should have used "meaning" or "meanings".

• People are stupid.

• I'm not native English speaker either. I've moved to England when I was 10. It annoys me too and I have no idea why they make these mistakes! English is such an easy language haha

However I do make mistakes in my native language as I was young when I came here. My native language is apparently one of the hardest to learn as well and the pronunciation is really hard too, so I guess it's normal for me to make mistakes.

• Second language learners usually have a more structured, proper way of learning than native speakers. It could also be out of pure laziness.

In my experience, as I am currently studying German, we are more focused on using the language properly as to make sure we use it the correct way. To me, my German courses and much more thorough than any of the English classes I have taken in the past.

• Homophones are just so hard to tell apart for some people.

• People are stupid, lazy, and slang is WAY too popular.

Some people actually tease me for using correct grammar and typing the entire words in text messages - as if it's a bad thing. Riiiiiiight!

• Because some people are just idiots. I have often found it true that the non-native English speakers I've come across have much better grammar than many native speakers.

What Guys Said 9

• Here in the USA the general literacy level is dropping, in part due to the electronic age (spell check) and the drop in reading literature that has come with it..

But more, probably, due to the state of public education! And the increasing disrespect for knowledge and learning in the USA.

• You studied a foreign language with a lot more dicipline and structure to become fluent. Whereas native speakers of English generally learn the basics of it and are exposed to English being spoken to them their entire lives. Therefore they did not take the lessons to learn how to speak it properly. that and the public school system sucks.

• I was educated in Crystal Palace, and the spelling around there was absolutely atrocious D:

• the general population is borderline retarded. however, too & to is usually just slow or fast fingers when typing

• also the "whats the big deal as long as you know what the person meant" attitude is contributing to this problem and also part of why getting a 50% in a class is good enough to pass...

this is also related to the concept/attitude of everything needing to be fair and everybody has to be nice and accepting...

• How about get over yourself

• Well, speaking for the US, chalk that up to a really poor education system.

• You are one to complain. Clean up your grammer and use the correct capitalization before you analyze someone else's writing.

"A non-native like me would never make those mistakes." Say what! I recall when my grade school teachers told the students to exchange papers with each other to grade them.

Boy, I'm glad you weren't in my class.

• Ugh I hate when teachers do that! My college professors do that and my paper always ends up being corrected by someone who has no idea what they're doing =(

• I am a grammar nazi but I am terribly impressed by your bragging ability.

• Americans are lazy. Many do not wish to learn the language and certain demographics use their own "English" language styles. I fail to understand why a group of people wouldn't want to speak the language correctly and make them appear educated and articulate.