Yoga - what are you thoughts?

Started doing yoga as a New Years resolution but its evolved into a pillar of my day. I practice properly for an hour a day and feel marvelous afterward.

My question is - do any of you practice yoga yourself? Can you get ripped or a close to it as possible with yoga alone?

Maybe ripped isn't the right expression so but I have noticed after just a month I am more defined and in a better mood, which is always a plus.

Surely solid yoga practice combined with a clean diet will lead to weight loss, lean muscle and a general level of solid fitness?

To those saying Yoga is just 'stretching' - I would invite you to actually try it, it converted me from that way of thinking, just once - properly :-)

55

Most Helpful Guy

• If you like doing yoga then good for you :). Personally, I couldn't do it. I love the gym too much. I don't know much about what goes into doing yoga, but I'd say weight lifting would yield better results.

But hey like I said, if you enjoy doing it, then more power to you.

What Girls Said 5

• I've done yoga since before high school, about 15 years now. I'm a barefoot person, & the thing that first interested me in yoga is that it's done barefoot.

Yoga is amongst several things in my fitness routines, the others include swimming & running. I wouldn't call myself ripped, I would describe my build as wiry. I'm slender but with well-defined muscle tone. Especially my abs.

The asanas do a lot of different things. In looking at someone doing them you probably think at first that she is just stretching & developing or maintaining flexibility, but many of them involve isometrics, so there is strength-building & muscle-toning as well. Maybe not as much as 5-6 hours in the weightroom, but...

• Not really , i usually do a few poses for like half an hour just to calm down, but other than that i prefer a different kind of exercise

• yoga is awesome :p well gymnastics is still better :D

• Well, if you have ever seen Adam Levine body that how you can look. He doesn't lift weights or do anything he does yoga for an hour or two every day, and that its. And damn is he sexy ;)

• I'm more toned and flexible but no huge change and I've been practicing for about a year

What Guys Said 4

• Ripped, no. You could tone your core significantly.

Yoga is great. So is Olympic barbell lifting. So is steady state cardio. So is HIIT. And each one gives you different benefits.

• Ripped was the wrong word, I'm looking for a solid core strength that looks good and natural than leads towards that ripped affect

• You're not going to build pecs, delta, arms or big legs doing yoga. It really hits a lot of stabilizers. It can tighten you up and if you're really thin you might see the differance.

There are lots of reasons to do yoga but its not a particularly good use of time if your goal is looks. There is a reason gyms are full of women doing cardio and men doing barbell lifts.

• No-ripped isn't something that comes with yoga practice. But you will get limber and warmed up for a cardio workout, and you will lessen the risk of injury when you are putting stress on joints.

• I started doing DDP Yoga and it's good. I haven't notice anything so far as I barely started doing the exercises.

• Yoga makes you flexible ,if you wanna get ripped then lifting weights and HIIT

• Don't have the 'staying power' to go to the gym anymore plus it's expensive for what you actually get in inexperienced trainers and bad equipment.

• take annual membership in a decent gym