What to do when you second language is replacing your mother tongue?

so yes I'm an arab, but I rarely use my arabic anymore if when I'm in an arab country or talking to arab friends, sometimes I don't find the right arabic words which accurately express how I feel, what should I do ?

34

Most Helpful Guy

• Start reading Arabic literature.

What Guys Said 3

• You could try talking to them more often..or maybe read arab books, or buy some movies/DVDS of shows in arabic..or if possible watch movies with arabic subtitles...just being around arabic conversation I think might be able to help.

• What should you do? Live and learn. Get better over time.

• Who cares? As long as you're getting your point across. A language is just a tool--you use it for a purpose. Just like I wouldn't worry about using a hammer all the time instead of a screw driver if what I needed to do was pound nails into the wall. Use the tool that does the best job of getting done what you need to get done.

• but not everyone I know can understand me, when I'm back home people in the streets don't get what I want if I'm not talking in Arabic

What Girls Said 3

• Watch some shows in Arabic and read a little in Arabic every day.

• Listen to Arabic music and read Arab magazines/articles(even if it's online) or poetry/books.

• Try to find certain places to practice your mother language. Then you will not forget it, while speaking the second language.