Do men always say what they mean?

When my partner and I get into sum sort of quarrel he tends to say hurtful things such as ; he is just waiting for me to break up with him, or he doesn't see this relationship going anywhere!

When we finally sit down he says he just said those things to hurt me...well MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! He apologieses, bt says more or less the same hurtful things when we fight again...!

Could he "secreatly" feel this way or is he just really negligent with words?!

810

Most Helpful Guy

• Guys *usually* say what they mean, yes. However, people often say things they don't mean, but that they know will be hurtful, when they are themselves hurt and angry.

Still, it sounds like there's some truth under these words: he's AFRAID that you're going to break up with him, and so he's insecure about the relationship. That insecurity is leading to other problems, and thus may end up being self-fulfilling.

You really need to sit him down and be completely open and honest with each other about your fears. Get everything out on the table and DEAL with it. Resolve those issues so that you can both feel more secure. If you can't do that, you'll end up breaking up sooner or later, and likely sooner.

What Guys Said 9

• This has nothing to do with gender, first of all. And coming to the situation, there's probability that he meant what he said and there's also a probability he didn't. Or he might mean it in a very insignificant way as to not really bend towards it and break up with you. There're lots of chances to this.

• "Do men always say what they mean?"

Not all men, and not all women say what they mean. its not a gender thing its a person thing

• Sometimes people say things they don't mean.

• Repeatedly?

• He could or could not feel that way, though it's heading more towards him secretly feeling that way. Tall to him about it. Communicate.

• Guys usually say what they mean. He feels those things on some level.

• Yes, women always want to think we have double meanings buuuut we dont.

• I don't believe that any human being always says what he or she means; sometimes things are said just for the sake of speaking and nothing more.

• I think he probably does mean it... And either he doesn't usually want to say them cos they'll hurt your feelings but when you're arguing he doesn't care (and maybe wants that), or he may only feel that way when you're fighting

• i never say anything bad unless I really think that and I stick with it. and the fact that he says it again means he sees it as something that might happen.try and look at the things that trigger his reactions. maybe it's something you say or do or ask him to do, that hurts him and makes him respond like that.

• When we fight, words are weapons. And he knows which words will hurt you.

So when you fight, those are the trusty weapons he wields.

The adage about men always saying what they mean and meaning what they say, has more to do with when they are asked simple questions with simple answers, and women over think the hell out of them.

Like

Her : "Do you like me?"

Him : "Of course I like you."

Her (thinking) : What does that mean?

It means he likes you. D'uh.

What Girls Said 8

• In his case, I doubt his intent is actually to hurt you. He just says that later to avoid discussing it.

When my boyfriend expressed worrying that I would ever leave him, I responded compassionately. He said "Are you...trying to figure out how to break up with me?", when I told him I was trying to make sense of how much tension we had going on. I'd felt like things were getting too distant and didn't know how to address it, so I was perusing. For me, I was perusing how to quit avoiding my feelings or writing them off. Often times, I prefer to just not entertain worries, for fear that it will only complicate things. I was trying to figure out how to get us back on track. When he said that, I realized it was me noticing his sudden halt and treating 'us' like we had an expiration date and was trying to keep it where it was to avoid a split. Him asking that revealed what it was that I couldn't, before then, put my finger on.

After that, I reminded him that I planned to stick by him and US. I told him we were a team and I would never treat him like he was expendable. It opened up to a deep conversation and we were able to re-establish and voice our desires to be happy together, not try to find happiness elsewhere by dropping anything that would cause emotions. That was all it took to get us back to trusting each other and working in the right direction again.

• Do you always mean what you say?

Well, when some people feel strong emotions, like anger or fear, some people may say things out of those emotions but don't mean what they say. When those emotions fade, we start to regret what we said.

So no, not everybody means everything they say.

• Do men always say what they mean?

No.

Probably he feels this way however it's not a bother to him or a hindrance to him being in a relationship with you until he's angry since for some a partner's annoying habits/traits are tolerable until they're p*ssed at the partner.

• yes he probably mean some of it, you should try to communicate peacefully about it instead of waiting for the next fight.

• He probably feels those things when he is mad at you. He probably doesn't mean them when his emotions calm down. So he's probably honest at both times sayng different things.

• I say hurtful things when I'm mad.. and I don't mean them. A lot of people do this.

• Sounds like he means it to some level talk to him about it you shouldn't be with someone who is throwing hurtful words at you every time you have a disagreement you deserve better good luck :-)

• Some might say what they mean, but my boyfriend doesn't. I do the same thing and I don't say what I mean either. It's just that when you're so angry, you tend to say hurtful things that you really don't mean.