Whats with womens clothing sizes

I could never figure women saying they are a size 4 or 2 and lately every ones saying size 0 what the ? I used to be a size 12 jeans went shopping over the weekend a 12 falls off now I can easily fit into 10 or sometimes an even a 8 . what's up I'm still the same size 30 " waist 40" hips . Vanity sizeing I guess

114

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree it could very well be vanity sizing. I'm finding where I am from most stuff is made now for petite people. I have a hard time finding t-shirts and jackets that are long enough. All dresses are shirts on me, it really sucks. I'm 5'7", not too tall to wear regular clothes.

Especially since I am only 23 and I want to still be fashionable and young looking. But everything where I am is just too short and too small. Now, I am bigger, I'm about a 14-18 depending on where I go. But I still am able to wear regular tops and sweaters, it's just finding stuff that is long enough or stuff that isn't too tight in the boob area. That is my biggest problem.

I think it depends on where you are and where you shop. I tend to stick to places now that I know carry larger sizes. If something is baggy, I just bring it in with a belt. There isn't much I can do because stuff just doesn't fit well.

I don't worry too much about what size exactly, I know that there is discrepancies between stores. I just buy stuff that looks flattering, that is the most important thing. When you have clothes that really compliment your shape and fit well, you feel better and look better.

If someone wants to judge me based on size, that's too bad :P I don't care. Everyone is different, and that's okay!

What Guys Said 4

• Clothing stores and clothing labels deliberately put the sizes wrong, because female psychology makes them buy things that fit if the size is smaller than expected.

A girl goes into shop A, tries on a dress that she likes. It's a size 16 and fits perfectly. She is upset, because this means she is a size 16. Even though she likes the dress, she will not buy it because it is damaging to her self-esteem

The same girl goes into shop B. Tries on a similar dress. It's listed as a size 12.

She'll buy it.

• I see what you are saying and I partially agree. However, I am one of the girls who doesn't really care about the size. I know I am bigger lol, so to me I just buy what fits. I don't worry about size.

• Obviously girls like you exist, or store A would be out of business.

• A 1950's us size 8 would be labelled a size zero today. There's been that much drift in women's clothing sizes.

• it's what we are accepting as the norm now. To be big is sexy but not healthy we would A lot rather be sexy than healthy. Company do it to make men and women feel good about their selves.

• I am am definitely big girl but I am fit not fat more like an athlete.

• i guess it depends where you are shopping.

in some places like mall stores, what most clothing lines would call Small is a Large.

What Girls Said 10

• Yeh they have switched bigger sizes and just put a label on 2 or 3 sizes smaller lol, and formal clothing is terrible they make them so so tiny, I'm a big girl too but they make a size 18 formal black top like a size 14 - 16's lol I just bought one for college on Thursday from asda and it was just a plane black one with just a little flap collar and I had to buy a size 24 for it to even fit they are that small. It's like the jeans in there too the bootcut at size 18 fall off me well they did but I've put more weight on so they fit OK now but before I had to buy a size 16 of them, it's terribly confusing and on sales they close the changing rooms so I can't try them on :\ lol, I think they just do it so everyone will decide to lose weight and be skinny, I guess the labeling makes people think "oh... I've lost weight I must be more skinny" for sure vanity sizing, I had to buy one of those duffle coats in a size 22 as well because they make them for only skinny people once again.

• They close the change rooms when they have sales? That's ridiculous, how are you supposed to know if it fits :S

• Yeh I know, I just stood in front of a mirror and tried on the tops over the top I had on ha ha they don't seem to care if you do that really I guess you don't need to go into the changing room to try on tops as long as you put on a thin enough top before you try them on.

• Whats with womens clothing sizes?

Vanity sizing it's quite common in the US and Canada as overweight is becoming a problem however since many gals get butthurt over that stores tend to lower the sizes.

• Yeah, it's vanity sizing. What cracks me up is the fact that on the same day I bought a small tee from Forever 21 and a large at Hot Topic. I don't care whether stores use vanity sizing or not but it should at least be consistent.

• Too many fat people. It's the same reason why they changed the number on the overweight scale, you are now allowed to be a lot fatter to be considered overweight, from how it was originally.

• I've noticed this as well. I think victoria secret even came out and said that they made their sizes larger.

• If I grasp what you're asking - Women are hard on themselves and other women, so the majority will lie about what size they really wear because they're embarrassed.

• No. What she's noticing is that a piece if clothing made for, say, a size 8 is getting bigger and bigger over time.

• That is the exact point I was trying to make.

• Lol why did I get a thumbs down?

• I know. it's so annoying. I can buy clothes for my husband anywhere cause measurements never change...

• I've noticed the same thing. I used to wear a size 6 and I went shopping recently and it seems I'm a 4 in some clothing and 2 in others. I have NEVER been a size 2. I definitely haven't been losing any weight.

• Yeah I kind of wonder the same thing. Either I've lost weight, or the sizes are getting bigger. Generally I am a size six or seven. And yet two weeks ago I could fit in a size four. I think they must be changing sizes, but it also depends on stores. A size 7 at one store will be a size 9 at another. I just don't believe for a minute that I can fit into a size 4, there is no possible way. I don't think I am fat, but I a size four is for a tiny girl and I am not tiny.

• Also I think that's where the double 0 sizes come from. My sister and I were looking at pants sizes and we saw 00. If they keep making the sizes bigger it's going to be a 0000.

• Why the thumb down?

• Ha.. that's not the case in Europe! Due to people getting bigger to stop them they make the clothing smaller. So if you used to be a size 16 5 years ago, you're more like an 18 or a 20 now.

Two cultures dealing with it differently. US are accepting that people are larger, Europe are using the models and insecurities to make people slimmer. People don't mind being a smaller size, they mind being bigger.