Fellow Atheists: What do you say when a believer says "so you think all this just happened for no reason?"

613

Most Helpful Guy

• It's the human arrogance - religious people think that the whole Universe revolves only around them, although the truth is that the Earth is just one among billions of planets around here.. they may say "the origin of life must be with a reason" - but what's the reason of other natural events like rain, lightning strikes, planets orbiting around their stars and so on?

The origin of life on Earth was just a simple chemical reaction, which in a result produced organic matter from non-organic matter - it can happen under specific, certain conditions which were matching back then - it was just merely a natural event just like any other ones, the Universe is full of marvels we don't even know

And it all happens by itself - there is not a person (f.e. god) who does all those things and we already have figured out something, back in the ancient times people were thinking that thunder and rain happened because there was a man-like divinity living in the skies above clouds, who took a huge bowel of water and poured it down 'creating rain' or minting stuff in his celestial forge, thus 'creating thunder' - today we have found out those are merely natural events who happen all by themselves and who are not created, so was the origin of life, so was the origin of the whole Universe and everything else

• However, Sir, that answer is presumptuous and inadequate. Origin of life researchers have yet to provide a viable mechanism for the formation of first life that match Earth’s early conditions. Earth’s early atmosphere could not have supported the chemistry needed to form prebiotic compounds. And lack of a prebiotic soup and the actual conditions of the early earth confound the RNA world hypothesis.

• @iryk

Strategic redundancy reflects intelligent design.

- Engineers frequently design systems with redundancy, particularly for those components that play a critical role in the operation of the system.

- When engineers duplicate parts into their designs, the redundant components form a responsive backup circuit.

- E.g., Many duplicated genes in genomes operate as a responsive backup circuit, reflecting the work of a Creator.

- E.g. The genetic code has redundancy to protect against mutations.

What Guys Said 12

• The reason is that everything is a result of cause and effect. Life is only as valuable as we make it. For example, there are religious monks that devote their entire lives to worship. If they're wrong though, if there's no reincarnation or afterlife, then what? They've pissed their lives away for no reason. Isn't that just as depressing?

• Cause and effect is the basis of our existence, the warp and woof of all that is or will be. How could anyone rational find our origin in irrationality?

• I just say yeah. I don't think anything needs a reason to happen. And even if a God did make us, why? Why did he choose to do that?

• You don't need to have an answer, if they assume reason for our existence then tell them to support it

even though it's painfully clear to them, it's not for atheists and for a very good reason

• There is something of a cosmological question there. How does anything happen without a prime mover?

• "Of course it happened for a reason, doesn't everything? But just because we don't know what all those reasons are doesn't prove a god exists. (I say "a god" because the majority of the people on Earth do not believe in your God)."

• Yes.

• I feel sorry for you

• "yup and since you can't persuade me otherwise, go bug someone else" I literally said that to those door to door jenovah's witnessess, frikken annoying people

• As scary a concept as that might be to you, essentially yes.

• We were obviously put here to simply live...something must have happened for a reason (whether that be god putting us here, or simply everything coming in place, like the big bang says so)

• I'm an Agnostic Jew. I believe in the Jewish teachings, but I also question the existence of god (how can I believe in something I can't see)

• Asking others for a witty comeback or sincerely curious?

What Girls Said 6

• So, I'm not an Atheist, but it did catch my eye. I won't go on about religion, but wouldn't it make you feel better if you thought it DID happen for a reason? That's not why I am a Christian, but for anyone who believes in ANY religion, I'm sure it makes them feel like there is purpose to their life. I can't imagine how sad it would feel if I didn't believe in anything, no hope, no reason, no purpose. I'm sorry, but that sounds awfully depressing.

• But just because something is nicer, doesn't mean I believe it exists. It would be awesome if there were actually fairies or a Santa Clause, but just cause it would be awesome, doesn't automatically make me believe in their existence.

Also, as I already said in my answer, I think it's the mystery about our life, the inexplicable, that makes it so special. Not sad at all to me. Each of us has to find their own reasons/purpose, instead of supposed reasons/purpose given by the universe or deity.

• But more on track with your answer... We don't feel that despair because the purpose of life is to live and make life better for those around us. You don't need a God to want to do good. I, speaking only for myself, live my life how I want, and make a point to serve others, to spread happiness and joy. I do the right thing, and above all, I don't harm anyone else. Isn't all that enough to alleviate the sadness that the universe is merely just a random occurrence of cause and effect?

• @wpmason: I very much agree with you.

• "what reason should it have?" answer their question with another question hihi :3

"if gods really do exist, I want to surpass them, if they exist, it's possible"

"a series of coincidences cause "this" "

"this happened because I willed it, yes child, I'm god, now worship me for no reason"

I can come up with a lot more ;3

• I usually answer something like: "Not everything needs to be explained, it's the mystery about existence that makes life so special."

• *We* are what gives life reason; it comes from us.

• There's a reason for everything

• No, course not, it was for my amusement.