Which of these things would you say is the most heinous act someone can do to another human being?

• Rape
  • Murder
  • Torture
    Vote C

1715

Most Helpful Girl

• As a highly empathetic person, I have a huge problem with torture. I can't handle watching movies or TV shows that deal with torture; if I even hear it (and not see it), it stays in my head all day and night. To give you an idea of how bad my empathy is, when I was 16 I got traumatized by a play about the crucifixion of Jesus because I couldn't stand to see all the pain He went through.

Anyways, I voted for torture. The thought of someone willingly causing a person terrible pain (with pain being the sole purpose) is just unbearable. Rape is over at some point, and murder is a fairly short process, but torture can go on indefinitely.

What Girls Said 16

• I personally feel rape is a kind of torture but if I really have to choose between the two, rape. It is more emotionally scaring than torture (in my opinion, neither has happened to me so I'm not a good judge) but that's how I think I'd feel. Rape is absolutely horrible and what's really terrible is when your raped with an object. God I don't even want to think about this, rape is one of my worst fears.

• I'm torn between rape and murder but I don't know anyone who has been through either so I can't really say.

On one hand, rape is horrible and vile and degrading and leaves women with PTSD and thoughts of suicide and oftentimes women who are raped are blamed for it which is stupid and wrong no matter how slutty her outfit was.

On the other hand, a person who gets murdered can never get better and move past what happened. While a large percentage of women who are raped have thoughts of suicide, 100% of murder victims are dead.

• For me, rape would be a form of torture. I would even go so far as to say that I'd rather be murdered than raped. I'm Catholic, to me sex isn't just an animalistic act, it's something which is sacred and I don't think I could live with having that taken from me.

• Wouldn't it be better to live? You could recover from your wounds, seek revenge against your attacker, still have life goals, find happiness--but the dead have no way to better or worsen themselves, nor experience joys and triumphs of life.

• 1. There is no guarantee you'll recover; psychological scars run deep.

2. I wouldn't want to seek revenge, I'd like the person to go to gaol, but that's it.

Just me personally, I know I'd have an incredibly hard time living knowing what had happened, many people don't recover from things like rape, the suicide rate is unbelievable.

• Is rape not torture? :o

• technically it is, but usually its just a one time thing and its over whereas torture tends to be more of a systematic thing that happens over time, but rape of course can be part of the torture, I just felt it necessary to give it its separate classification.

• Right, and the emotional affect that follows it (regardless of how many times the person had to endure it) can be defined as torture.

• Rape. It stays with you forever.

• Rape

• I've was raped everyday from when I was 6 years old to 11 years old...

• torture:

shows your true nature, could also include rape and result in murder.

it shows just how evil a person can be.

• torture, because I think it is the one that shows how evil a person can be.

• i think torture is the worst. once you're dead, your dead. rape is bad but it mostly messes with you mentally. but torture messes you up badly, physically and emotionally. rape doesn't have anywhere bear as much pain as torture does. and torture is usually drawn out for as long as possible, while rape is *usually* fast because the rapist is trying to hurry before he is caught.

• Rape. Once your dead your dead. If you get raped it stays with you forever

• I voted rape because a person violates your whole being...

• They're all awful, obviously.

I voted A.

I'd rather be murdered than raped or tortured and left alive to remember it and move on. That may not make sense to others, but I don't think death is the worst thing that could happen to me.

• I would rather be murdered than be raped. Not just the act of rape itself, but the aftermath. A large fraction of victims commit suicide.

If you're tortured and survive, nobody has a problem blaming the perpetrator instead of you.

• They're all horrible. For anyone who thinks murder is worse than rape, open your eyes dammit. Many women who are raped contemplate suicide.

• Just some information for people to consider:

link

What Guys Said 15

• Rape is awful, of course, as it violates a person's sense of self in a very physical and psychological way.

Torture is nasty, assuming it's the basic electrocution, pulling fingernails and the like, but you can often heal from the wounds within a few months, depending on how awful it was. If it's cutting off limbs, that's worse obviously...

Murder is the worst, by far. It's oblivion.

The Greeks knew this eons ago, in the Odyssey. Scylla and Charybdis represent oblivion (which is close to being killed) and violence (rape, torture). Odysseus chose to deal with Scylla, because as bad as violence is--it's not oblivion. You can prepare, you can fight, training can help, and often it can be recovered from. Just as rape and torture is bad, and Odysseus lost his best fighters to Scylla, the ship was not destroyed, and most of the men survived.

However, Charybdis, the whirlpool that destroys everything, is similar to death, or being murdered. It's the end. There's no hope of recovery.

• Whoever says rape is the worst... sad. Murder, it is oblivion. Nothing left. In rape, existence continues. Purpose remains--the victim can recover from the wounds, still seek goals, can have happiness in life, and revenge is still possible. It is a weak mind that would rather be destroyed completely than suffer trauma. Humans are the greatest when they overcome suffering to achieve virtue--and the greater the suffering, the more respect deserved for their achievements.

• Pretty heinous stuff. I would be happy to see equally harsh punishments assigned to all perpetrators of these crimes.

Rape to me feels more personal though, that and murder are what I would like least done to my body.. torture I can deal with because I can resist the pain in my mind.

• Murder is not the most heinous. Watch Death Note. A single God-like painless way to kill people to reduce crime is an excellent plot.

Torture is very terrifying...I'm thinking of 1984. But torture can be mental, and those with strong will power can overcome it. Torture usually is a means to brain-wash so it doesn't really break your core.

Rape is different. We forget that men can be raped as well (anally and castration)...it's extremely terrifying because it's mental and extreme physical abuse. Even James Bond in Casino Royale was nearly raped and he ended up spending a week at the hospital.

• I think I misused the word plot, but you get what I'm trying to say...

• Yet Bond recovered, experience love with Vesper--and despite then suffering an apparent betrayal, managed to solve his inner turmoil and find peace with life. Far better to live, for where there's life there's hope.

• To be honest, I don't see murder as heinous if it's done in self defense. I think as soon as someone threatens your life by putting a gun to your head, the person is entitled to take any measure necessary to protect him or herself.

• i wouldn't consider killing in self defense 'murder' since the definition of murder specifies an inhumane act or malicious.

• Rape > Torture > Murder on the heinous scale.

Rape basically is torture, but on a whole other level. And everyone suffers from it (the raped person, their friends, their family, etc).

Torture, still basically just as bad, just as many people suffer.

Murder, again, sh*t, but at least the person who died can't suffer anymore :\

• This I call focusing on the negative!

• Definitely torture.

Murder is quick and for the most part painless unless it involves torture.

Rape is harsh but unless it involves torture it at least won't be physically painful. Rape without torture normally involves drugs which even make you forget about it so it won't be quite as traumatizing.

To make this clear, I am not saying rape is fine.

• It would be murder. The loss of life is the most heinous act of all.

• It's difficult to put a degree to any one of these. They are all terribly awful. They belong in the same category, in my opinion, and whoever does any one of these is completely evil.

• All 3 are equally horrible

• Murder-quick and easy. You die and are disposed of your suffering is over.

Torture-Painful and long, burned, cut, electrocuted, have body parts removed. Usually you either die or are mentally scared for life.

Rape- Usually not physically injured but mentally. Also you are allowed to live, and suffer. Of course rape can go in hand with torture and you can be "mind raped", aka mentally tortured until you break. (For example, murder someone in front of their family and hang their corpses in front of them, while keeping their eyes open with a restraint). Sexually it can turn into a vicious cycle, most notably in prison. Person gets raped, is traumatized by it and causes them to rape or injure others, creating a cycle.

While they are all bad it seems that rape is the worst considering it can be form of torture as well.

• Murder hands down. With murder you don't exist anymore. I was raped twice, once when I was 9 and another when I was 11. Everyday I am thankful that I am still alive. Being raped is never an easy thing to get passed, especially in a society that says, "Oh, you're a guy and a woman raped you, you're so lucky". One thing that absolutely drives me up the wall is when I hear someone say that if a boy is raped by a woman that he is lucky. Just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I want to be violated by an older woman. As painful it is to remember going through what I went through back then, I am thankful that I still exist in this world and that I still have the opportunity to make something out of myself. So, definitely being murdered would be a more heinous act someone can do to another human being in my mind.

• Re-elect a socialist liberal in America =(

• Torturing someone both physically and mentally then killing them? :o

Between rape and murder, obvs ending someones life is worse. Anyone who says otherwise is a f***tard.

• It depends on the circumstances around them before I could say what's worse at any give time. The worst of all would probably be some kind of demented torture like that probably hasn't occurred that often since medieval times.