Any horse lovers out there?

I own a horse. His name is rusty. He is 20 years old and about 5 years ago, a year or too after I bought him, he got diagnosed with Navicular disease. I did everything in my power to help him, he had surgery to remove some nerves and he made a full recovery. Before the survey, I was begging to be over his level, almost needing a more advanced horse, after the surgery, he was to advanced for me, but we still had fun.

We started riding less because of my work schedule and school. Now I recently purchased a new saddle and I'm ready to ride again. I'm noticing he is not wanting to canter, barely even trot in the arena, no limping.. He seems happy as ever. He is 20, maybe he is just slowing down? Or should I be concerned?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• I am a horse lover! I've owned 2 horses already (had to sell them due to finances), but I'm far from an expert. My opinion is that Rusty may very possibly just be slowing down. Can you tell me what breed he is? Because in my experience, Arabians tend to last a long time (there was a 33 year old Arab gelding at my stable who gave lessons) and Thoroughbeds tend to break down kinda early.

It's definitely something to mention to your vet at your next checkup! I'm happy to see another rider on this site. :D Tell me, is it weird that I have every intention of naming my future son after my horse Jasper? He was my sweet boy. <3

What Guys Said 3

• Nah, bestiality just isn't my thing.

• Aww cute. Poor guy. I wish I knew more about horses than the few lessons I had as a kid but wish you and Rusty the best.

• idk anything about horses but best of luck to you and the horse :)

What Girls Said 4

• Aww I always wanted to have a horse as a pet.

My favorite, especially the white Arabian ones. ^_^

Maybe your horse is having some after-surgery side effects?

I guess you have to take him to the veterinarian who performed that surgery.

Or maybe he just needs a longer time to recover..

• link

you can have this one ;)

• Aww beautiful! <3

But I wonder if police would allow me to have it,

since it would be a rare animal, and it has a harmful weapon. xD

• I love horses I rode them for years sorry about your horse. Hope everything will be okay maybe he's just getting old?

• I absolutely LOVE horses!!

• Dear horse lovers, I wanna recommend you a great horse lovers club named equestrianlover(dot)com. you can go to see!