Is it weird that I don't believe in God, but I believe in Ghosts?

I hate the term 'Ghosts' I believe they are more like spiritual entities than anything else I think, but I'm gonna say ghosts anyways.

I've done research and found out that there are mentions of ghosts in pretty much EVERY culture, dating back many centuries, I believe they are mentions of them even in the bible.

I find it interesting that even though God is not a belief in every culture, in the cultures that do, people get shunned if they don't believe in god. And even though ghosts are in every culture, people get ridiculed for believing in them.

I personally feel like there should be more reason to believe in ghosts than God, because...how can every culture be wrong? I've personally had a few experiences with the paranormal...what if, in ancient times, people experienced encounters with ghosts, thought it was a god-like entity?

Please no hate, this is just my views

812

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an atheist and I struggle with this concept as well. Though after much watching, reading and thinking, I've come to the conclusion that "God" is not a physical entity. As humans, we've given a personified image to the life-force which is, in a sense, "god". I find the idea of an invisible man governing over us all laughable but not believing in him left ghosts in an ambiguous area of spirituality.

Now, I've come to the conclusion that there has to be a force driving life. After all, we're here and alive. For some reason, bacteria felt compelled to evolved and differentiate into self-aware individuals (The Anthropic Principle). Who knows what happens when we die? We could simply leave behind the physical 3-dimensional world and our consciousness could continue on into realms and dimensions unknown. If, for some reason, a non-physical person were able to affect this 3D reality, they would be considered a "ghost".

I don't think it's weird at all. You're free to believe whatever you want. Thanks for this interesting question.

What Guys Said 11

• No it's not weird.

Even if there is no God there can still exist ghosts and be an after life and whatnot. Just because you don't believe in God doesn't mean you have to limit yourself to the physical realm.

All you are basically saying is that you don't believe that God have created all those things but still believe that they could exist.

• I would counter that pretty much every significant culture believes in some sort of God. At least, aside from the East Asian cultures.

The Romans: Jupiter, Mars, Venus, Pluto

The Greeks: Zeus, Poseidon, Athena, Hades

The Egyptians: Set, Ra, Isis, Anubis

The Norse: Thor, Loki, Odin

The Arabs: Allah

The Jews: Jehovah

And a lot of Europe and the United States, at one time or another: Jesus Christ, and the Holy Trinity

Also, how would believing in ghosts not be in accordance with believing in God? According to Scripture, Samuel the Prophet was summoned by a witch after his death, and spoke to King Saul, angrily predicting his death for meddling in witchcraft.

Also, early in the Bible, isn't a city mentioned that is populated by "the sons of gods?"

Not to mention material about angels visiting people. "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

I think there is abundant evidence of the supernatural, of humans having contact with spirits. However, the Scriptures forbid us from meddling with such a realm. We are to pray to God, Jehovah, alone. When we attempt to contact other spirits on our own, we open ourselves up to demonic influences. I've met enough people who did attempt to contact spirits, and regretted it badly for what happened after...

• This is a very interesting answer, and you have a very valid point. I guess in my mind I was thinking about the "one true god" (as my aunt says) I neglected to to think about cultures with multiple gods. I also don't think it's wise to try contacting spirits on our own, it does make us vulnerable for evil spirits, but I believe that our passed loved ones are watching over us, and will make themselves known in our time of need.

• There is proof that the earth is young, as your Aunt then believes. Examples: the sun has been studied enough to know it shrinks at about 5 feet an hour, very constantly. Proven fact. That means that 11.2 million years ago, the sun would have touched the earth and burned it ash, if the earth was that old. Not to mention, that for a few million years afterward, the sun would have been burning the earth into a barren rock.

• The idea that the sun is shrinking (especially at that rate) is asinine and false.

I'm amazed at the type of bullsh*t creationists try to pass off as fact years, even decades after it's been debunked.

link

• It's not weird. You're entitled into your own belief.

• I believe in a God. Or at least I'm trying to. It brings me comfort to believe that there's something there after we die. I also really want to believe in ghosts. I think there are too many stories and events that involve the supernatural for them not to be real.

• Gods are in a lot of cultures as well possibly more so than ghosts

You can believe what you want and I'd more likely believe in ghosts than a religious god but I find no real compelling reason to do either

• To what god are you referring? There are many of them.

• Not at all! :P (Strangely enough, I'm into Sci-Fi yet I don't believe in aliens xD)

• The idea of souls existing but not any gods doesn't really seem to follow. I'm pretty sure that just about every culture has had a deity of some sort so by the same reasoning deities should exist. However, appeal to popularity is a fallacy, not a way of knowing.

• "I personally feel like there should be more reason to believe in ghosts than God, because...how can every culture be wrong?"

Name me a "culture" that doesn't deify something, please.

• atheists, they don't defy nothing, they always speak the truth. They are the embodiment of logic and reason, ya'll only believe in fairy tales.

• Atheists aren't a culture.

• Well don't believe in God until you move into a really haunted house or get possessed by a demon. Do note, that only the old religion clergy that are specifically trained for these encounters can help you.

They should also ask you nothing in return for their services, but at least what you can do is cover their traveling expenses if they live far away from you.

• Actually I was raised as a Christian and told that ghosts can't exist, but that demons do exist in the world. According to the bible we are not supposed to just hang around as ghosts when we die. I see no reason why one can't believe in ghosts, and not God.

What Girls Said 8

• I'm the same I think, I don't really believe

in any god, but I'm pretty sure ghosts exist :3

• Awesome! ^_^

• I feel like there is more logic and history with ghosts, there are many gods, and so many contractions in the bible

• there are millions of known deities of which 2870 of

them can be considered major deities or "gods" in different regions

and cultures, and I refuse to put my faith in any one of them :3

ghosts seem more plausible to me as it's "human"

and people throughout history have encountered

various small "happenings" like that.. but obviously

noone can really say :3

• I beleive in God and believe Ghost are demons.

• No I don't think so

• No I say believe in what seems right for you

• make no sense to me but hey to each their own

• I'm religious. I find it strange that Atheists believe in something spiritual like ghosts but don't believe there is a God in this world.

Anyways, I don't believe ghost are "spiritual entities, those who have passed, but still cling to earth, because either they can't let go and accept death". I guess this's what the media and movies try to convey.

But I believe ghost are some creatures like us. But they live in dimensions different than us. Like they are most likely to live in the infrared electromagnetic radiation. I watched a program that confirmed my beliefs. They brought some devices to measure the changes in pressure and temperatures in a house which is believed that it's haunted by ghosts. They observed some abnormal changes on their devices every once in a while. Which somehow supports my belief that ghosts actually live in the infrared radiation spectrum. I don't believe all of them are bad. According to my beliefs, there are bad ones and good ones.. exactly like us, humans. And some of them wouldn't harm you, if you don't harm them.

• I actually agree with that, "spiritual entities, those who have passed, but still cling to earth, because either they can't let go and accept death" is who I think ghosts are...but what you said is what I think they are made up of.

• There is no money to be made in a belief of ghosts, there is plenty to be made in the belief of "God", hence why one is ridiculed and the other is almost forced on you when your younger.

• That does make sense, my parents made me go to church every Sunday when I was younger, but I'm still Atheist

• Hi there, not hating but I think it's weird that some people believe in the bad but cannot believe in the good. If there's bad then there has to be good. But I understand that there has been many cases where people see demons and stuff like that. But the reason that happens is because evil lives in this world.

• What do mean by bad? I'm not talking about demons, I'm talking about spiritual entities, those who have passed, but still cling to earth, because either they can't let go and accept death, or they want to watch over someone, I don't see what's bad.

• hmmm, wow...umm thanks for your answer anyways

• yup, demons will never show themselves as demons.