Do you think absentee fathers play much of a role in their rebellious son?

Say the boy was involved in gangs, drugs, failing school and getting into fights

I've heard a lot of people say it's that they don't have a male father figure to teach them, but I don't think that's the main reason

seems more to do with socio-economic factors

25

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you that the bigger factor is probably low income and not being able to live in a better area. There's definitely some psychology behind not having a father or mother, but I don't think that alone is significantly reliable in predicting how someone will end up.

There's actually a cool section about this in one of my textbooks:

The average white single MOM household makes about $33,000 (for blacks and Hispanics it's $24,000).

The average white single DAD household makes about $46,000 ($32,500 for blacks, $40,000 for Hispanics).

What Girls Said 1

• Definitely. Boys are taught to be strong but without a father figure their perception of strong could be totally distorted and lead them into things like gang violence drugs ect

What Guys Said 5

• I believe it certainly plays a large part in it. They have no fatherly figure to take advice or be a role model. The mischievous person could also have learned it from other people he associates himself with, which could be a coincidence as well. It also could be if the friends he hangs out with don't see the world as a safe place or rather they see it that the world owes them something the kid doesn't have way to open up to the parent; usually the fatherly figure is much easier to talk to about important serious stuff and the motherly figure is for asking favors and less emphasis on the advice.

I'd say its 70-30 for the lack of a fatherly figure encouraging such behavior. Not everyone is like this of course, but for a generalization this is my guess.

• Trust me...an unstable family environment (which is inevitable when the father figure is absent or very inconsistently around the child's life), means the male child has no consistent figure in his life on how to conduct himself.

There's a reason why during the slavery era, the father of the slave family was routinely sold away to another family.

That was done intentionally so the family dynamic for the slaves would be consistently in shambles, with the purpose of destroying the gender roles:

*father unable to tend to and protect his children

*the mother unable to be "feminine and recessive" (because the father isn't there)

*the children, in this case the boy, unable to learn how to be a man because the father figure is never consistently there

• It may play a role, but ultimately the personality of the boy and (possibly) having other male figures will help.

Personally speaking, I was too fearful of getting into legal trouble. Plus, I spent a lot of time with my Uncle. He was more of a buddy type than a mentor, but that time spent with him kept me clear of bad influences. Not everyone is as fortunate or has that fearful mentality of getting in trouble.

Smh... If you're ready to be a parent, use protection!

• Absentee fathers really play a big role in their sons. Without them, their sons can't be disciplined enough, and no guiding hand to lead them into the path of righteousness.

• Every case is different and it's a complex issue, but there is no doubt that the absence of a good father in a child's life, whether boy or girl, is a huge factor in all sorts of behavioral problems in kids. link

• are you sure that's not just down to money, the place they live

• Absolutely sure. Kids who don't have a father are far more likely to suffer from all sorts of ills, regardless of socioeconomic status.