Is there any way for someone to get health insurance if they can't afford it?

My boyfriend doesn't have health insurance and he really needs it. He is having major issues with depression and most likely some type of anxiety disorder. Also he has chronic stomach pains. He says he's had them for years and he says they're extremely painful. Though he doesn't know what's been causing them. I'm really worried. Is there something we can do about getting him health insurance?

I'm 19 so I'm still on my parents insurance. So to be completely honest, I don't exactly know much about how insurance works. I just need to figure out how to help my boyfriend. He needs help.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• If he's working, the company should've some kind of insurance in it.

Also, contact an insurance agent just to be sure, and you will get the cheapest one.

It would be best if you will buy the whole life insurance that premium prices will not change instead of term insurance which premiums tend to get higher every year.

• He's not working. There's something, I'm starting to think it's an anxiety problem, that's preventing him from getting a job.

What Guys Said 4

• There are still afew free community clinics, but the needs are much greater than what they can provide.

See if someone can pay for a few sessions with a professional for him.

Can he get covered under is parents' policy, now that the new healthcare law is taking effect?

• I'm not even sure if his mother has health insurance but he said he was getting help (with the depression) until he got past a certain age and then he was taken off the insurance. He's 24.

• Well He's gonna have to find health insurance because EVERYONE has to be signed up under Obamacare! 3 weeks after the state cut my insurance (I live in Michigan) I got rushed into the ER and got diangoised with type one diabetes! I had a huge bill which charity and the state paid for most of It and also I had to go to free clinics until I had I was qualified for a limited coverage program that just pays for my scrips and doc visit and I only get this program because of the county I live IN! So If I move I'm screwed! I need medicine for the rest of my life and, the government ain't going to help me! I'm afraid to find work because the medicine is so expensive and if I make a x amount of dollars I get kicked out of the program! the u.s just f***ing sucks! I'm about to move to canada!

• Yes. Medicaid.

• Do you have to be a certain age for Medicaid?

• The G.O.P. doesn't want anyone to get health insurance if he can't afford it.

What Girls Said 3

• Without paying for it not really. And to be honest a non group plan costs about $300 a month. Lastly if these are ongoing problems health insurance won't help. Most make you be on the plan a year BEFORE they pay for pre-existing conditions. The only exclusions are proof of continuous health insurance with another provider. If there is no to a very small (like a month) lapse in coverage they will waive that. I suggest going to the health dept. They do things on a sliding scale based on how much you make and sometimes charge nothing at all. They will have much better resources than anyone here. Also sometimes it takes a while to get an appointment (a couple weeks) and if you do not go or reschedule it will be that much longer of a wait. I always tell people to go to there local health dept as they know who to talk to and what they charge.

• yes! go to your local department of human services office where people get food stamps and wic, fil out a medicade application. I've had to help my friends do many o these. free doc vivists and ER visits and you can get it o wipe your medical bills out.

• somtimes marrying someone with insurance can help