Do you swear/curse or use bad language? Why or why not?

Do you swear/curse or use bad language? What constitutes bad language to you? Why or why do you not use bad language?

269

Most Helpful Girl

• No, there is no point. It sounds trashey, and there are other words to describe your feelings. Some people feel that it's not the same, but I just think that it makes YOU as a person look better:)

What Girls Said 25

• I say "crap" occassionally. Otherwise, I use expressions like "oh fudge" and "what the monkey biscuit." It's more fun and totally kid safe. :)

• I don't judge people for it, but the hardest people to hear bad words from, for me, is either relatives or friends who I believe have good morals (it makes me feel bad). I think it's fine if you use those, but I think the higher the standards, the better. I'm not sure if those are kid safe.

• All the time! It's just natural to me. And besides, swearing can relieve stress, the way the words trip off the tongue :)

• Not for me. I don't get stressful because I don't have need to, so I don't need to rely on swearing.

But if that is how you think, that's fine too.

• i do swear, not habitually in every sentence like some people, but if something warrants a f*** or **** I don't hesitate to use it.

i think it depends on where you were raised, in my country as a whole, it's not a big deal, my middle class mum swears, but I get the impression from American friends they take it a bit more seriously?

• also has anyone else noticed that the "c" word is especially censored on this site? like they don't even leave the first letter there if you try to type it.

• Do you mean the one that means poop, or the other more explicit one?

• the more explicit one.

• Yes I do, but I'm not American ..I'm from Croatia, we have many words that we can say when we curse... Really.. We have so big imagination and if we would translate it to any other language it wouldn't have any meaning.. But that's just how it is around here :)

• lol you guys curse like it didn't mean anything bad at all haha

• So if in Croatia the bad words don't really have any meaning, doesn't that make them not bad words? I think bad words are called bad words because sometimes back then people decided that some words were taboo.

• It depends on situation.

• No. I feel like it's unnecessary, rude, and is over used by ignorant, angry people. That type of language can be replaced by more appropriate words and still get the same or similar message across.

• I curse because I want to, haha.

I do know how not to do it though, there is a time and a place for cursing.

• Swearing, cursing, these words are used to intentionally hurt someone. On the other hand, I don't only constitute these the only form of bad language. I also believe anything that is said to hurt another is bad language because there is no reason to make someone else feel bad on purpose. I believe that you can talk it through and reason with people without arguing.Saying horrid things to another will only prolong the problem and even aggravate it.

• I only use bad language when I'm angry, otherwise I try not to use it.

• I try not to, and I usually have a clean mouth at work, school, with friends, etc. It slips out when I'm very angry/upset, I'm quoting something, or if I feel like nobody would take me seriously otherwise.

• "English mothaf*cka, do you speak it?!"

:P

• I think height has nothing to do with it. Even if people don't take me seriously, I wouldn't use profanity. I always try to remain civilized, whether or not I'm trying to tell someone something or someone is being angry with me. They are able to take you even less seriously if you (in general) use profanity. It says something about your character if you don't use profanity. I don't use it, but I wouldn't force anyone else to not use it.

• Idk, I just don't care anymore. I make enemies being sweet as sugar so I stopped trying. I don't curse much, but you bet I think it sometimes.

• No because it has negative meaning. This makes me feel negative inside.

• I do...but of course if I'm at work or with someone(s)that doesn't like it,then I refrain from using it. Otherwise,I curse like a sailor;-)

• Mostly when I drive :P

• Yes I do, but mostly when I hurt myself, which happens a lot due to my clumsiness, but it does relieve pain!

• It just naturally comes out sometimes, or whenever the situation warrants it. I don't utilize it every other sentence, but sometimes some things need a little more emphasis than other things, and that's when profanity comes out.

• I tend to dó it when I'm upset or get shocked :O :/

• F*** yeah, I do.

• I curse when I'm angry.

• Yep! I have a bit of a sailor's mouth.. it relieves stress for one, but it's really just habit at this stage.

• When I am in a bad mood or to offend people.

• Yes, cause its a habit and I don't really care

• No I rarely swear. And when I do, it means you really got me super mad, I still try to stay calm.

I personally feel like you can make your point without cursing or using bad words. You can make yourself very clear, while staying calm, and just using the right words to make someone back off.

• No, it sounds horrible coming out of any mouth. I feel like it's trashy and there really isn't a huge use. Doesn't make your life easier or better. When I'm angry I don't talk.

And it really doesn't help describe your feelings. I highly doubt if you really thought about it you couldn't find other words to use. Really quite simple.

• Yeah I use bad language.

Bad language is curse words: f***, bitch, a**hole, motherf***er

I do it because it's a heavy expletive that can accurately describe my feelings, a person or a situation.

• Yes, I do. Not around children, elderly, or strangers though.

But around family and friends, it's just part of our language. Sh*t, b*tch, as*hole, f*ck (less used)... these are just words and part of our conversations. It's not as if every other word is a cuss word or anything, but we use them.

• I know what cuss words are, you know. You didn't need to spell them out. Just saying. I don't think you're bad or anything for using them.

• I know. But that is the cleanest we can get. I'm relieved that you didn't take it the wrong way, because it seemed as though you were angry.

• No, no worries.

• I hardly ever use bad language. The only time I do is when I am quoting somebody. Because of the home I grew up in, I never swore as a kid. I have no reason to. I had a great childhood, and why would I need to use those words to express myself? People who swear come off as angry and like they are just kinda sketchy. I feel uncomfortable swearing, so I just don't.

• I can't swear. I would never do it, because I would feel really ashamed if I did.

What Guys Said 9

• I cuss a little bit. But when someone drops an F-bomb every other word, I assume he/she has a history of incarceration, substance abuse, or military experience. I can forgive veterans for their profanity IF and ONLY IF they don't also get busted or intoxicated. I used to live with 7 roommates, two of whom were ex-military. One was a potty mouth who dropped F-bombs in every sentence and the other NEVER cursed at all. They CAN get help, & I DEMAND they get help so they can remember how to talk without every other word being an F-bomb.

You'll never F***ing make any F***ing sense to my F***ing a-double-s if you can't even F***ing talk without constantly dropping F-bombs.

• One word to NEVER use in my presence is motherf***er. To me, an inanimate object can never be a motherf***er, nor can a place. Only a person who actually f***ed his/her mother should be called a motherf***er. That's how literal I interpret language, and my Asperger's is my valid medical excuse for that.

• No. I don't like bad language. It kinda ruins the whole... pleasure of talking to someone or a group of people. I don't like hearing bad language either. It can be funny sometimes (if it's in a joke for example); but I don't like it in any other places.

• Everyday to and from work, when I watch TV especially the news or reality TV shows, when I play pc games.

I often don't mean it, it's just a lot of slip of the tongue hehehe. I use it to let off my frustration at that specific time, so I don't have to deal with it at a later time.

• Yes I do, they're just another way of expressing one self and I think the impression of it has a lot to do with when you say them and in what whey. You can easily say some none swear words and make them sound even worse so I think it's healthy to a certain point to use swear words if you even use them at all.

• I do occasionally. It's usually not directed at anyone and meant to be a cathartic experience for myself (is in blowing off steam). I also think it can be done well and eloquently or poorly and with pure vulgarity.

• I don't have many vices, but colorful language is one of them. I know when to rein it in, though.

• No not really. I don't really see the need to

• Yes, I do. A lot. Predominantly in my native language. But, seldom do I use it to cuss someone. I use cuss words in buddy talks. It gives me a sense of intimacy when I talk to my close friends. They do the same to me, too. It is fun to use, too.

• I think of swearing like mid sentence explanation marks. IT JUST MAKES A BETTER F***ING POINT! :)