Do you believe that Morality/Human Rights exist? why or why not

I am curious to mostly see where atheism appeals to in order to call something morally right or wrong. Please try to answer intelligently and state whether you are an atheist or not, what is your basis for believing something is right or wrong?

If you believe the very concept of justice is only there because it helped your ancestors pass on your genetic code. Therefore, what that means is, certain behaviors may feel right or wrong, but aren't truly wrong because its only that you are programmed to feel that way. The depth of moral outrage when you see something that is really unjust has no moral basis to you other than "its not the best way to live comofortably" which is still subjective.

If you believe morality does exist... you have to conclude that its also culturally relative. For example if an atheist from a christian western culture goes to somewhere in africa that has made cannobolism part of their culture, you have no basis for viewing that as wrong other than a feeling. Rightness or wrongness can therefore only be subjective with no ultimate moral law giver for a basis.

• Yes, I am an atheist, I believe morality exists (explain)
  • Yes, I am an atheist, but I do not believe Morality exists (explain)
  • I am religious, I believe morality exists
    Vote C
  • Other
    Vote D
For example, animals do not possess "morals". An animal like a chimpanzee is highly intelligent however they have no qualms about ripping your face off if they get pissed off but peace within a colony only exists upon their own selfish desire not to be injured themselves, there is no reason other than that to do so

45

Most Helpful Girl

• We have a sense of what is right and wrong based on the moral and natural laws which coincide with God's eternal law. I went to a Catholic high school and took a class on morality. I don't understand how someone can wake up and know that lying is wrong. But claim that there is no God. We know that lying is wrong because we were born with knowing the moral law.

• A new born has no moral code and gets its morals from the influence of parents and the outside world through years of growth. This is why good parenting is so important.

What Girls Said 3

• Like another guy said, morality is independent of religion.

"For example if an atheist from a christian western culture goes to somewhere in africa that has made cannobolism part of their culture, you have no basis for viewing that as wrong other than a feeling. Rightness or wrongness can therefore only be subjective with no ultimate moral law giver for a basis."

the only way religions avoid these difficult questions is because someone, based on their feelings, wrote down how they felt about it a long time ago, said it came from god and called it the book it was wrote in the bible or qurans or torah and called it a in to ever question it thus removing independent thought from the equation.

• C. I'm Catholic and I definitely believe morality exists

• Feelings do not determinate what is ultimately "right". Or "good"

It has more to do with the positive or negative outcome of the action.

Because otherwise if I did what felt good, I would sleep with every man I met, id each chocolate 24-7 and become fat and gross with diseases.

• and I'm athiest.

What Guys Said 5

• Somewhat religious somewhat atheist; I believe that there is some higher power but as to what religion that God falls under is beyond me (agnostic maybe?). Morals govern pretty much my everyday life. There are things I watch my college classmates do that I would never in a million years think of doing. Drinking before 21? Using girls just to gain status? Going to class and then falling asleep within 5 minutes? The list goes on and on. I could never ever think of doing that, it goes against my every inner intuition and moral rights. I believe in treating both genders with equal respect. Girls more though, simply because of all the downside from the media and the fact that they can date some pretty nasty people and cause insecurities. As a guy, my fellow guys I hang out with all follow the same principles that video games are the best thing since food and that eating and playing just go hand in hand. Fairly easy to understand that way =p.

• I'm an Atheist and I have a sense of what is wrong and what is right and a lot of my morality is shared by 99% of all other people, regardless of their religion or culture. Studies have shown that universal morality exists in all cultures. Like that it is "wrong" to hurt a person (or animal) physically or emotionally, unless it is to prevent that person or other people from getting hurt even more severely. That it is wrong to lie, unless it is for a "good" reason. That you shouldn't kill another person, unless he/she is a mortal threat to you or your loved ones or to put him or her out of her terminal misery. Anthropologists found these exact moral beliefs in isolated tribes on various corners of the world. Even animals show empathy. Why would a dog or a dolphin care if a person lives or dies, yet there have been several reports of these animals saving human lives.

I do not believe in god and my morals are not set in stone. I try not to hurt people intentionally and I try to help people if I can, not because I want a ticket to paradise, but because it actually makes me feel good if I do that, even if nobody knows that I did it, I will know that I did good and that would be enough.

It is true that I believe there is no objective "true" morality, like a deity would provide. A thousand years ago, someone that beheaded a few dozen men and raped a few women would be celebrated as a hero, now we would think he was a raging maniac. I don't think we get rewarded or punished for the way we live, not by a higher power. There are Nazi's that are over a 100, still alive today, enjoying their lives, enjoying their grandchildren, who will never be punished for their deeds. And there are innocent kids in third world countries that are exploited and molested without ever being redeemed. The natural world will not judge our actions. To life, we are all the same, the sinners and the saints. We randomly get cancer, we randomly get our parents and children taken away from us... It is only fair in the sense that we all are equal ironically.

It bugs me if people say that they are blessed. You are saying: my god chose to give me a good life and other people to live in misery. How dare you. How dare you imply that your god simply chose you over others. The arrogance.

• "It is true that I believe there is no objective "true" morality, like a deity would provide."

But you did point out that its proven that there is an objective "true" morality, just not one from a deity.

• Nope, he basically said that there is a moral code that most people follow, but it has changed through time. If it was completely objective, every one would have 100% the same morals. There is no one true answer to moral questions.

• No, parts of our morality are universal, but a lot is not. We all differ on the subject of eating pork or have children out of wedlock, a deity would have one straight answer.

• My atheist side asks, "What is wrong with killing my loser neighbor moving into his house and impregnating his widow?" He'll not suffer a bit from my bullet in his temple. His wife is already in love with me and I'll provide her with a better life than she has now. I'm improving the overall gene pool of mankind by spreading more of my superior DNA. Nobody will know.

My Christian side ponders this:

God commands, you shall not kill. You shall not commit adultery. You shall not covet. You shall not steal. You shall have no other gods. You shall not attribute worth to any image you create. You shall respect God's name. You shall set apart the sabbath day. You shall not bear false witness. You shall honor your parents.

• What is there to explain? Morality is completely independent from religion.

• You appeal to logic and reason and rational argument.

If you're not capable of rationally working out why cannibalism is wrong, that's a fault with your intellect, not with being an atheist.