How to overcome shyness in this situation?

In class, sometimes teacher asks something or we talk.. and I'm so shy that I am always silent.

Often I know answer or I would like to add or say something but shyness is completely paralyzing me and I don't say anything.

It's because I'm afraid that nobody would listen to me, or that I say something stupid and people will laugh or stare at me and think that I'm stupid..

It's really really hard to overcome. Does anyone have an idea how to overcome it?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Lol I know exactly what you mean, I was literally the same way! I never raised my hand in class because I was too timid or worried about being wrong. When I started my first job when I was 17 I was silent, I didn't really talk to anyone lol. It's silly that I was like that when I think about it.

The only thing you can do to overcome being shy is to force yourself to be more outgoing. Next time you're in class and you know the answer to a question, raise your hand. Once you get called on and say the right answer you'll feel like a boss ha ha :P

The more and more you push yourself out of your shell the easier it gets. You're putting more pressure on yourself than you need to when all you do is worry about what other people might think of you :)

What Guys Said 1

• At the beginning of the semester pick a seat in the front of the class, preferably near the middle. That way it'll feel more like a one-on-one talk with the instructor instead of talking in front of the whole class. It really does work.

What Girls Said 1

• I used to have the same issue and eventually grew out of it in my second year of college. I guess I was really intimidated by louder students, but then realized down the track that nobody else in class really knew what they were talking about. I'm a post-grad student now and will have to start teaching soon, and I can guarantee I will not know all the answers.

Just remember that nobody expects you to get everything "right", and the more you participate, the more you will learn. So really, you're doing yourself a HUGE favour in the long run. Plus, if you force yourself to talk sometimes, it should eventually get much easier.

Force it out! Your teacher wants to hear from you, force it out!