Do you think that skinny girls are discriminated against too?

I know I hear people saying that being thin looks sickly and unatractive and in todays society it is socially accepted to say that a size0 or 2 is gross but not OK to say about larger sizees, even though many girl are this size naturally. what's your opinion on this?

2111

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with you. I use to work with models and fat girls were so mean to them. Most of these girls eat heathy and worked out. A lot of the high end fashion models are young and get out of the industry fairly quickly at least at the runway level and many of those do get pushed lose weight just like in ballet. The industry has been changing to more healthy. So yes there is a crazy double standard where it is taboo to say large sizes are gross. Personaly I find large sizes to go against environment and social values. The medical field can harldy cope with the strain on resources from specialty equipment to medication for overeaters or persons with sedentary lifestyles. Yes there are exceptions but very few that could not be regulated by strict eating.

What Guys Said 10

• People are individuals and they all will have individual preferences. Everyone to some extent will be discriminated against because of this. Some guys will find skinny girls attractive but they don't find overweight women appealing at all. Another group of guys will prefer a woman be more height to weight proportionate and don't find skinny or overweight girls attractive. Still some guys will prefer a thick woman but do not particularly go for the skinny or overweight girl. Of course you have some guys who actually prefer overweight girls and don't really like skinny girls.

While all these are based on physical appearance, it doesn't necessarily mean they won't like you as a person, but maybe they won't want to date you because of it. However, if the guy likes skinny girls, then he may want to date you but not your thicker friend. Doesn't mean he dislikes her as a friend, just that he is more attracted to you based on your appearance.

I really wouldn't worry so much about those who seem to not like you because you're skinny in stature and just be yourself and focus your attention to the guys who find you attractive the way you are.

• Some guys definitely prefer curvier girls, but there are LOTS of guys who like thinner girls, so it's not like you don't have a huge pool of guys who will be interest in your body shape.

What almost NO guy likes is the anorexic look. There's a huge difference between a girl who is naturally skinny and one who DIETED her way into a skeleton. The first girl, despite being thin, is still going to look slightly round and soft on the corners, and you aren't going to see muscles and tendons moving around under her skin. The second girl will look emaciated, like a concentration-camp survivor, and her hair will be falling out; she'll be half zombie. And, yes, these girls exist.

Again, most guys are fine with naturally thin girls, and many guys specifically like them. They DON'T like the heroin-chic model types that live on lemon-water and cigarettes and look like they just flew in from 1940s Auschwitz. See the difference?

• Guys don't even know the difference between an anorexic girl and a naturally thin girl. Thin is thin to guys

• They did in my high school. I remember guys talking about it once in a while.

• I like skinnier girls a lot more than regular-fat, maybe it's just me. But I think they look more attractive in my opinion, more cuddly-cute :) Girls should be smaller than guys and it gives great feeling for both girls and a guys, when combination is right.

• Honestly, when it comes to size, there will always be people who have preferences.

A lot of guys like skinnier girls and a lot of guys like curvier girls, it's about even. As long as a girl isn't obese, to most men, she has an attractive body.

A lot of curvier girls say that skinny girls get all the attention and guys (because of the media) expect all women to be twigs. And then there are a lot of skinnier girls who are insecure about their body as well, and say they wish they had bigger breasts or more womanly thighs.

But in the end, NO body is going to please everyone. But as long as you take an effort to take care of yourself physically, many guys will find you attractive.

• It's jealousy.

The vast majority of women would rather be a size 0 or 2.

• Pretty much any discrimination against skinny girls is advocated by fat girls and by men who listen to fat girls.

It's all jealousy.

• yeah and it is not just girls that are discriminated against.

girls don't get called (assumed to be) gay for being thin.

most of the people that say this stuff are clearly overweight. they also tend to say stupid sh*t like 'you need to eat more' when really these people just need to put down the fork for once and get off their fat ass.

• Yea, my mom is way overweight and tells me that I need to eat more and I look too skinny, annorexic...etc... truth is she needs to eat less! First thing she does when she comes over is find the most fat food that I have and eat all of it.

• its good I only date girls as skinny as me 6'2" 120 pounds so thts like size super zero

when guys say they like a girl with curves they really just mean a fat girl

but thts so taboo to say right

skinny girls are the best =D

• idk I think I would be able to judge with a picture

size 2 doesn't mean much to mean without a reference

• All women are discriminated against by the patreearkee.

What Girls Said 21

• Here's what I've been noticing:

For a while, there was a lot of emphasis about accepting your body and loving it The way it is. This was wonderful to emphasize, and allowed many women who were self conscious about being overweight break free and love themselves. This was new and enlightening and got a lot of attention because it hadn't really been seen that way before. As time has gone on, this great thing has somewhat reversed itself, and now women who are skinnier than most are being scrutinized instead of overweight people. And it's just as bad and just as hurtful...just as there are many women who wish to be thinner, so too are there many who wish they could put on some weight.

• Yes

America is filled with a bunch of lazy ass, fat disgusting sloppy women who think anyone who isn't their size is anorexic or bulimic. These women also scream that there is an anorexia epidemic but get defensive when people talk about the over eating epidemic and start lying about how they're marathon runnings, eat like birds and are healthier than every skinny person they know

• Yes, everyone has their different opinions on size and weight. I'm a curvy/thick size 11. Some called me fat, some said that I was just fine. Just recently, entertainment news were talking about Kendall Jenner being criticized and bullied for being too skinny.

• even some men discriminate against skinny girls along with the bigger girls

saying " somebody feed her please"

" she needs a sandwich ASAP"

" now I know what starving looks like"

they are more sensitive towards big girls, but what about us girls that I naturally on the smaller side.

• Yeah, It happens to me all the time. I get called anorexic sometimes even when I'm in the middle of eating a burger or something. I don't think most people understand that anorexia is a mental illness, not just someone who is skinny.

• I find, in real life, people like 00, 0 and 2...

on the interweb, people hate it...

I feel, where I live, there is this pressure for all us girls to be as small as possible...

• Wow. Is it possible to back up and validate skinny chicks without bashing on fat chicks? A lot of you people are kinda pathetic -- unless of course you never claimed to be backing up the skinny chicks because you don't discriminate. I mean don't get me wrong, you all are still pretty douchey. But at least you aren't being a hypocrite.

• OMG its so true. I'm a size 0. When people hear that, they think I'm anorexic or accuse me of it. I eat, I swear! But understnad I don't have a lot of muscle and that my frame and bones are really small - that's probably why. To be honest though, I my body, I don't look rail thin, and yes I do look healthy!

• I am a natural size 0, but I'm not "skinny" I am athletic and just small because at 5' 2" it's actually overweight to be more than a 3 really.

• Honestly, it sucks. I'm curvier then my bff and I'm jealous because she's stick thin, but then I get mad when people call her anorexic when she actually eats more then me...

• Its descrimination

• Yes absouletly the rail thin models were banned on the catwalk for awhile but skinny girls get bashed too.

• Good question. It's like in today's world you're uncool if you're too skinny and uncool if you're straight. It's like skinny people and straight people have to apologize for harboring 'hate' on fat people and gay people.

• Being too skinny is just as bad as being too fat on both men and women, not just for girls. They are both unattractive to most.

• I think it depends what race/culture you are. My favorite cousin is skinny but we are black so in our culture the ideal body type isn't skinny so when people make rude comments about her body type they are seriously discriminating against her because many times people really don't want her body.

For you, you're white and skinny seems to be the ideal for your culture. In your case, I don't think its discrimination, just jealousy. Victoria's secret models, most actresses and women in men magazines and beauty icons have body types similar to a size 0, 2, 4 so if you are the closest to looking like those kinds of girls but you're getting negative comments...well come on you know it's just out of bitterness.

skinny isn't my ideal body type but I would never disrespect someone by criticizing their body to their face.

• I'm skinny and those comments do bother me, but I have to say that overweight people experience this on a whole different level... People avoid talking to my big best friend a lot more than they avoid talking to me. People do say they're gross and disgusting, people even associate being fat with immorality because if you're fat, you're apparently lazy and stupid. Some people even say fat people are a burden to society.

People usually put down skinny people out of jealousy or a very misguided attempt to reject beauty ideals. People put down fat people because they hate them, through and through.

• Also, if we're talking about really serious discrimination... an employer isn't going to hire you if they think you're lazy and dumb and they're disgusted just by looking at you.

• I agree. A lot of people say that being bigger is better than being skinny because they're trying to make themselves or others feel better, but by doing so they don't realize that they're doing the same thing that other people do to bigger girls. People need to realize that they need to stop saying that one thing is better than the others. Skinny girls can feel insecure about being "too" small the way that fat girls can get insecure about being "too" big.

• I think everyone faces *some* kind of discrimination in their lives, for one thing or another. Consider the source, a lot of people are stupid.

I used to be a big girl, and I was bullied about it in school. No one EVER held their tongue regarding "larger sizes" and I never saw any skinny girls being bullied for their size. So in my experience, I've never personally seen any discrimination against skinny girls. Skinny guys, yes.

• It's silly to compare it to the way people discriminate against overweight people, but there definitely is some hate for skinny girls. I've gotten harassed about having an eating disorder even though I most definitely don't, which is incredibly frustrating and can be hard to deal with.

• No.

Do they get teased sometimes? yes, but are they discriminated against? no.

sure, you can experience a bit of back handed bitchiness sometimes when you're skinny, but I have been fat and skinny before and can say for a fact that life is so much easier and people treat you so much better when you are skinny.

The kind of "discrimination' skinny people experience is comparable to why it's OK to poke fun at the rich and powerful, but cruel and bullying to make fun of the weak and poor.

saying "haha, you're skinny" in our society is like saying "haha you are societie's definition of beauty, I'm jealous"

saying "haha you're fat" is like saying "haha you're ugly bitch and no one will ever love you."

so no, I do not feel sorry for very skinny people, I've been there, they don't have it tough.

• yes I am always shocked when I hear such comments as "curvy girls are real women"

So women who are not curvy are not really women or what?

• yea I sa w that on fb once its a - stupidaying. if you have a vagina your a real woman