If you don't like a question posted by a user, why give it 1/5 when that rating gives the user points?

Maybe I don't understand how the points thing works, but when I go into the xper section, it says that if your question gets rated within a 24 hour period, it gets at least one point (it says a range of one - 5, so I guess that equates to the number of stars it gets). I imagine the best thing to do would be not to rate it at all, because then it falls into the huge void of questions that have also not been rated, and it gets lost forever. It's just sometimes I see a question where the user's question was rated 1/5, but they really did not even deserve the free point they got. Thoughts on this?

Well my point was that if you think a question is ridiculous (as some on here tend to be), based on the way the system works, you are kind of rewarding them for it still by bothering to rate it at all.

34

Most Helpful Guy

• The points awarded are rather minuscule in the grand scheme of things, so I believe the bang is well worth the buck.

To average $20/week on this site, you'd have to answer 185-190 questions per day. Points are a joke and are in no way legitimate compensation. Our hours and input are worth far more than that.

What Girls Said 3

• Because sometimes a horrible question has a high rating and you just want it to go down, even if that mean you have to give them a point (it's just one single point anyway).

• To let the QA know someone doesn't like their Q I assume.. Idunno I only rate 5 stars.

• I thought they changed that?

I used to wonder that all of the time. Not rating would be more of a statement because they get no points from it...but I looked it up at one point and they had changed it

• well when I look at it now, they seem to give a range between one - 5. I mean, I guess its just one point, but if I really think a question is nonsense, I usually don't bother rating it at all

What Guys Said 3

• Because quite often people aren't actually aware that it rewards the QA with xper.

• i'm rating this a one to prove your point.

enjoy your free point, as I would not have rated it at all otherwise.

• The irony of this question having a one star lol