I want to become fluent in English

I want to become fluent in English, therefore I want English movies, I don't like reading stuff, I love to watch movies I try to understand what they are saying. I want to know does watching English movies can improve my English?

24

Most Helpful Guy

• I want to be fluent in Chinese. I'm Chinese, and my English is far better than my Chinese. Still, watching movies isn't enough to learn a language. You need to read and watch at the same time.

You see, in movies, they don't usually talk as much as if you read a whole book, and the language that is spoken isn't as sophisticated (complex). If you read a book, you can look up a word you don't know. If you watch a movie, you can't ask someone in the middle of watching it, and you will likely forget afterward. So read and watch.

What Girls Said 2

• Yes, it can. When I lived in Germany and when I got there I didn't speak the language. I watched reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation all the time and I picked up a lot of German that way. Speaking it as much as possible really helped, too.

• Sure, watching movies in English will help. Listening to English songs or radio broadcasts will probably help too.

In order to really cement your understanding of a language, though, you kind of have to practice it. See if you can find a conversation partner. And, I don't know if you're concerned about being able to read or write in English - but if you want to do anything more than just talk, you're going to have to practice reading and writing too.

What Guys Said 3

• Try watching English movies with your own language subtitles, it might help you more.

• but I have been asked to watch movies without subtitles.

• oh OK, it's just that if you hear a word you don't understand

you can see what it means right away

• That's how I learned and with video games too.

• Press one instead of two