Some day, you might be able to get a whole new body. Thoughts?

Apparently, we are just a few years away from being able to successfully do brain transplants on humans. I find it fascinating, and a bit eerie at the same time. Here's a short clip of a doctor who goes over a bit of the workings behind it. What are your thoughts on how far science is progressing, and do you think you could ever go through one of these procedures whether they became available? You're kind of, transplanting a person's "spirit" in a sense, so what do you think the implications of this are for religion?

link

Apparently, the soviets were doing experiments on this decades ago. Here's a video of a soviet Russian scientist who had the head of a dog severed and managed to not only keep the brain alive, but the head responded to external stimuli.

Disclaimer: I'm posting this video just for those who are intellectually curious, but I should warn you...if you have a light stomach for this sort of thing (especially if you own a dog), I strongly advise you think twice before watching this video. It's not gory or anything, but it's honestly a little disturbing, and it may make you uncomfortable

link

^ again, think twice before clicking this. It's in black and white, but I really don't want to ruin anyones day by making them watch this when they probably shouldn't. The Soviets really didn't care about ethical procedures when conducting experiments so..

Here's another interesting news clip on this

link

39

Most Helpful Girl

• I guess I just can't really comprehend the use of this. I don't doubt that science could make it feasible, but I don't see how it would translate to actual medical use. Like for an organ transplant, its very clear who gets the organ. But for a brain transplant, who would get one? And who would be donating their body for it? Does that mean all the other organs that would otherwise be used to save multiple people's lives would be diverted to the rich person who wants a new body? Also, the argument that older people could use it to have a younger body doesn't make logical sense. Their brains will still be the age of their original body and lets face it, cells can only live for a certain amount of time before dying. We have so many people already whose brains stop working before their bodies do. That's why dementia, alzheimer's, and parkinson's for example, are such widespread problems today. We've helped our bodies survive longer through medicine but our brains aren't keeping up. But what I'm really stuck on, if this technique is perfected who decides who deserves to be transplanted into someone else's body? Is it simply determined by who has the money?

• so many questions, not enough characters to answer them all lol. But no one would really be donating their bodies. Right now, scientists have the ability to grow certain organs, so the idea is that they will be able to grow full bodies for these people who have problems. Also, the brain itself, as long as its not compromised, can actually live and function a lot longer than you may think.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm fine with my body, the only thing wrong with it are scars, but other than that I feel my body is perfect.

• There is a Dark Matters episode that deals with this subject and the scientist that have embarked on this.

• Well I doubt anyone would do it while they were young and fit. I was thinking more along the lines of people who are in their 80's/90's who want another 80 - 90 years of life. Or people who are completely disabled, like Stephen Hawking

• I could see why someone who is disabled would do it, but somehow I don't see someone in there 80's+ doing it...

• That's cool but weird at the same time.

What Guys Said 9

• You got a bit excited but I hate to disprove something to you.

The ability to transplant brains is on the horizon, BUT the ability to transfer consciousness or your mind and "well being" is no way near, and transferring consciousness into a machine or a computer is a path to immortality.

An old brain in a new body is a bit useless, it doesn't make the person younger because the brain has already been aged and will soon deteriorate.

We are a living time bomb, and we are set to die the second we were born.

• I'm sure we'll eventually figure out immortality though dna and gene manipulation.

• I didn't watch the clip with the dog. Sounds really nasty... Making a dogs severed head respond to stimuli dannnnnnng.

Anyway I would not want a brain transplant, just as I wouldn't want to be 'cured' of aspergers (no need to cure it anyway as its not an illness as far as I'm concerned). My brain, and my aspergers, contribute very much to who I am. I don't have such a low opinion of myself that I want to be someone else. My brain doesn't work as well as I would like sometimes, but I would not want a brain transplant at all first and foremost because I think that would actually change the person I am drastically, and also because its quite absurd. Well I kind of expect that its a procedure that would be intended for brain damaged people and people with severe brain dysfunctions anyway.

Very interesting question nonetheless.

• Hmm...

Well if I could have my brain put into the body of a

Gorgeous, ripped, 6 ft 3 body that has a face that looks like zeus himself chiseled it, I'd be very interested

I'm more interested in gene changing therapy >.>

• That's interesting, but not something I would ever sign up to do! :-P

• Pretty amazing.

• I didn't watch the clip, but it's definitely a fascinating topic.

• It's brilliant, but it isn't something I'd want done.

• Stewie Griffin said it best:

Stewie: Well now, what do we do with this guy? We got two Brians in this universe now.

Human Brian: Don't worry I don't plan on staying in Quahog. I'm gonna go out in the world and see what I can make out of myself. I can be somebody here.

Stewie: And it should be easy for you. Because...I mean, what luck you're white. You have no idea how big that is here.

------------------------------------

Think I'd have to do it.

• It's really interesting because if something happens to parts of your body, there's a chance they can replace them with bioartificial organs. If something happens to your whole body like paralysis or old age, you might be able to get a whole new one, especially if they can learn how to clone a husk of a body (no brain) the same way they make bioartificial organs. Just would need to be able to keep the brain from deteriorating and you can be borderline immortal.

• That's exactly what I was thinking too. It's just incredible to think about. I mean imagine how good this would be for people like stephen hawkings