A Short Glimpse of What It Is Really Like To Live With Depression

One in four people in the world will be affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives. Around 450 million people currently suffer from such conditions, placing mental disorders among the leading causes of ill-health and disability worldwide. Yet over 50% of these people don't get the treatment they need."

I am one of those people struggling throughout my life. While I mostly suffer in silence on the outside, the depression and racing thoughts are screaming on the inside.

" Why does everyone hate me so much?"
"I'm a such a failure. Why should I bother?"

I dread going out and having to speak to someone or answering the phone. The answer is always no.

"Do you want to hang out?"

No, I don't.

"Want to go to dinner? A movie? Anything?"

No, I just want to stay home.

Why bother? No one cares what I have to say. They never hear me anyway.

It is hard for me sometimes to do basic things that other people do. Things as simple as brushing my hair/teeth, taking a shower, or cooking a meal for myself are a very difficult task. I have to push myself hard just to get out of bed. I have no motivation anymore to do anything. All of the things I used to care about and enjoyed no longer interest me. After being lost in my own mind, I realized they were never really that important anyway. I do absolutely nothing. Just an empty shell of a person.

It doesn't matter what time I wake up, I am always still tired and the only thing I want to do is sleep. I watch the clock all day and wait until it is late enough to where I can go to sleep and not wake up in the middle of the night. People misinterpret this as lazy, but it is a classic depression symptom. The motivation and energy is simply not there.

1527

Most Helpful Guy

• I can write a whole 1000 page book about what's it like to be in world of depression since I was and AM victim of it for 6 years but I'll keep it short.

Depression kills the love you have for anything.. puts you in a dark world of your own thoughts.. in thoughts of suicide so you can end all the suffering. You have NO idea what you are suffering from. Something in your mind eats you up and you don't know what it is.

The love I have for my mom is even bigger than our galaxy, but even all that, I was about to commit suicide ( by overdosing anti-depressant n other meds) but out of the blue my dad shows up in my room and stops me. If It wasn't for him I wouldn't be here writing all this. When I asked him how did he show up in my room, he said " I have no idea, I wanted to grab something but forgot what it was " .. uhhhhhh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyways, I'm doing much better now and in process of healing and may take a few more months and I'm all well. For those who are suffering depression, bring up the picture of your most deeply loved one and think of how your death would affect them and other ones who have deep love for you.

Peace.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Girl

• This was hard for me to read because I can hear the echo of what I went through ringing in your words. I don't really know what to say other than I think you're very brave for hanging in there, and thank you for sharing your story. I hope things look up. It did for me, and hopefully it does for you as well.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 26

• My experience a few years ago was more along the lines of:

"You wanna hang out?"
    *Thinks of 15 different things that could go wrong if I do, before deciding.*
    "I guess."

"This all seems so... pointless. Meaningless."

"She seems to like me? Counting the days till the big betrayal..."

"Gotta do dishes today."
    "But I HATE doing that!"
    "But what if something happens and you have to be hospitalized? You know family will check up on where you live. You want them to find your dirty dishes, and SAY SOMETHING to you about them?"

"Is that supervisor at work intentionally trying to drive me up the wall? Should I find another job? But how will I look, with my all-over-the-map resume? Won't I just be beating my head against a wall? No one's gonna hire me. I haven't been here long enough. That shows a lack of loyalty."

"I wish I could give that a**hole a piece of my mind!"
    "Yeah, but then they'd probably call the cops. And because it's you, they'd throw the book at you. And then you'd have no friends, anywhere. Your family might write you off too. Then, you'll starve to death! Is it really worth it?"

"She used to be so nice. Now, she's a total cunt spouting terrorist rhetoric. She unfriended you for defending sanity and reason. Better block her. She's gonna start spying on you. She's gonna get a gang together, and launch an RPG through your living room window."

"You should go to the bar. Meet someone new."
    "No point. They'd all hate me anyway. And if the girl doesn't say anything, some third party f*wipe will pick a fight with me for even trying. Just like up at college. Just like on Facebook. F* society! And they can swing a fist, and no one will care. But the minute I fight back, someone will call the cops."

"The drunk couple downstairs is fighting again. I may as well yell at them to stop, and call the cops if they keep throwing things at the walls. They'll probably be after me too. But so what? What future do I have anyway? Better to go out like that guy from Early Edition, than do nothing."

"The seasons are changing. Again. Another year older, another year of being questioned why I'm not further along in success in life. Why do I even try?"

• thanks sorry you feel that way

• Based on online sites, it's more social anxiety than actual depression, but can be just as crippling.

• Wow, your experience sounds so much like my own I swear I would have written pretty much exactly that.

It helps to know that other people understand.

It's so frustrating when people say "cheer up" or "it's not that bad!" or "others have it worse".

Then there's "just come out, you'll feel great". Yeah, I probably will, but it's the getting out that's the hard part.

• yes it is. thank you for your comment

• And the "great" feeling is only temporary, like a band aid. You know it will only help momentarily...

• You're right. It only takes one negative thought to overshadow all the good ones

• Nice Mytake even though its mostly on only stage one of depression. >w<

• Thank you. Ya that's way I named it a short glimpse. I had made it a lot longer, but deleted most of it

• Well this is stuff that can help others get family and friends to a better place by starting to see and understand how complicated it is.

• Exactly. I think a lot of people who've never experienced depression think it's just being sad all the time. But it's like you described it. Not wanting to do anything or go anywhere or see anyone. Being exhausted, being unable to do basic things like self care. It's so much more and so much worse than just being sad

• Yes a very true take - In the past I have had some mental health issues and wish you all the best on your journey.

• More from Guys
    21

What Girls Said 14

• That sounds rough. I’ve never experienced such things.

• I suffer from anxiety and depression,
    1) because my mother died 2 years ago
    2) because my father left.

Thankyou so much for explaining this, and giving people who don't have this mental illness an insight of what it feels like. i really loved this my take!

• I had it and it sucked. I didn't know it was depression at the time.
    But I do recommend letting your friends and family know about it. I feel it would be a bit easier.

• I have been living with it for over 23 years u have good days and bad days. Some people don't understand how hard it is even to get out of bed.

• I feel the same honestly. My friends just think depression is just being sad or it can go away like a flu. But they just really don't know what it is. I've been recovering because, i met this guy, long story he became my boyfriend, and he's healed my heart and boosted my self-esteem and helped me not feel so depressed.

• More from Girls
    9