Things You’ll Only Understand if You Have a Unique Name

Your name is probably a very beautiful literary or cinematographic reference, a tribute to one of your ancestors, or just very common in another language. But still, in everyday life, it can be slightly annoying and hard to carry.

1. When you’re asked 10 times to repeat your name

And after that, people think that they have to give their opinion "Oh yeah, it's weird but it's not ugly!" Thanks for your unsolicited opinion by the way!

2. When you're in a party, and people think that you’re kidding.

Except for that annoying guy who will scream your name every time he sees you, laughing out loud.

3. Or worse: they ask you "Why?" What do you mean “Why”?

Do you expect me to say that my parents were drunk or lost a bet?

4. When you go on vacation and you’re looking for your name on magnets, shot glasses or other souvenirs but it’s never there.

NEVER.

5. When you have to give your name on the phone, and the person associates each letter of your name with a “normal” one: "C as in Chad? M as in Mark?"

The kind of name that your parents could have given you to make everyone’s life easier apparently.

6. When you search how many people have the same name and you realise that there are only 50.

In the WHOLE country.

7. When half of the people you know don’t pronounce it correctly.

Shout out to your boss who never paid attention to when you tried to correct him, so he kept calling you by the wrong name, and you had to go with it.

8. When you already introduced yourself and you’re asked "What's your name again?"

It would be okay if it stopped there, but the person in question turns to repeat it to his friends, just to feed their debate on unusual names.

129

Most Helpful Guy

• I feel that this is largely a problem in the black community (and I am black), and think we need to stop giving our kids such awful "unique" names that will not fit on them when they're 50, 60, 70, and 80. Names like DeShawn, Amari, Monesha, De'Andre, etc. It's so bad that authors of baby names books have to create their own meanings for those names so that it doesn't look bad.

• I like Lemonjello and Orangejello (pronounced "luh mon zha low" and "o rawn zha low"). Or that one black girl that named her kid Chlamydia.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes to all of this. Thankfully my mother saved my mental sanity by giving me a very "normal" (LOL) first name, but middle and last... I've had to do a lot of explaining, and pronouncing to the point where I have looked up how to legally change my name to what I usually refer to my last name as for my business/website/check writing purposes because so many people would butcher it. After years of struggling with this last name, I asked my dad where it came from because his father and mother both have a different last name and apparently culturally, people just pick names when a child is born, first and last, like out of the blue... so here I was thinking I was going along with some ancient family name that had real deep meaning... come to find out, it was so random, and if my dad hadn't moved to this country, where last names are passed on, I probably would have had a different last name... so I am looking into changing it to my business name. I've had enough with the, how do you spell that... say that... can you repeat that...10 minutes of someone trying to incorrectly stutter it on the phone, not having any privacy, because I'm one of only a few in this country (the rest are all related to me) which actually did lead to someone "finding me" at my home address which was terrifying.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 8

• And you become an internet sensation and people start making memes about you and mentioning on the takes like this
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m3f57GAADhQ

• I have a pretty common first name, but my middle name is "Reather". I've never met anyone else with that as a first name or middle name, except for my dad (his middle name as well). I just don't ever tell anyone my middle name.

• I'm just glad my first name is "normal." Middle and last name, not so much. I'll usually just say my first name when introducing myself.

• hahaha very cool, I also experience these things so I like this because it's #relatable

• **m****** **k** ******k ***z********* ... So in totall 34 letters.. Never been able to fit it on any form.. Never met anyone with the same first name.. Never met anyone who could pronounce it properly..

• My name isn't unique

• 9. when you can't pronounce it correctly. lol.

My name is def unique

• My friend is almost always late, which is ironic, considering his name is Justin Time.

What Girls Said 11

• Only three people had my name years ago and myself and two American women, I want to remain a bit of anonymity so I won't say what it is. My parents made it up, and I think it's quite beautiful, most people like it. I don't know how many people might have it now, but I found it on a site, it didn't have a meaning till now, if it's popular it means all those people must be way younger than I am.

• I recognized myself at number 4 😂

Except that I don't even look for my name, I know it won't be there

• I can relate. I was named after an Elven Princess from a book series. No one ever gets it.

• I wouldn't change my name for anything though. I love it

• I feel you.

• My name is 3 letters. People can't pronounce it. No key chains for me lol.

• Annoying i know. And usually my name sounds weird with people accents. -.-

• Then you'll just say "it's okay you can call me whatever you like"

• I have an uncommon name but it could be worse. My other option sounds like a Japanese pornstsr.

• I understand and have been through all of these except 5,3 and 2 lol and even after 3 years one of my friends still mispronounces my name.

• I have this problem too! With ALL my names! First, Middle, and Last. It is ridiculous!

• The struggle is real

• The pronounce and spelling irk me, at Starbucks I don't even bother. I give em a fake name