Skinny People Are Body Shamed Too

I've been put down my whole life for being too skinny. I was bullied for having really thin legs. People would say that I was chicken legged. I was called 'boobless' 'assless' 'Mrs bones' and I would look at myself in the mirror each day and think "maybe they're right. maybe I am this horrible, ugly monster that they claim I am." I hated my body. While "fat" "curvy" girls were accepted and praised, skinny girls were looked at like trash. We're people too. Especially me, I can't help my genetics.

Skinny People Are Body Shamed Too

I think a lot of overweight people are hypocrites. I'm naturally tall and skinny, my family are all naturally skinny too it's just part of our genes. I eat what I want, I don't starve myself, and I am beautiful. Sso why are you allowed to love you 'curves' but its wrong for me to love my 'bones'? People say "real women have curves". Why is it okay for you to call me anorexic, but horrible for me to call you fat? If you can tell me to 'gain weight', why can't I tell you to lose weight? If you can feel beautiful for being big, I can feel beautiful for being small.

Why is it acceptable for people to post things like: "Women are meant to have curves, boobs, big thighs and a nice ass. Who wants to be with a toothpick? I mean seriously. There's no place for a guy to put his hands"

What has happened to our humanity? I would never ever call a person fat or chubby or disgusting because of their body. So why am I constantly being called too skinny or a twig? I think everyone needs to come together and be humans again. We need to get over this 'body shaming' phase and accept everyone for who they are because everyone, whether we know it or not, has body insecurities. Everyone is beautiful.

Skinny People Are Body Shamed Too

5174

Most Helpful Guy

• 100% agree, great take! I've been mocked for being skinny all my life while desperately trying to gain weight.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's so true

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 73

• Well when you feel bad about yourself you can take it out on others to make yourself feel superior.

What that says about the people saying this is that its just a front. They say "its ok to be fat etc... blabla" (which I believe is totally fine for the record, have the body you want and love yourself, I'm all for it!) but although they say it they don't believe it. They don't actually think its true and they still feel inferior to a pretty girl with a flat stomach. So they feel the need to put them down to feel better about themselves again.

Its like your body just triggers them, it reminds them of what they wish they could have, but don't have the possibility, willpower, whatever the reason is (sometimes its changeable other times not). And that makes them feel bad, so to feel good again they just lash out, bring you down to elevate themselves nad be like "yeah, real women have curves, nobody wants a twig, she's ugly", though deep down they really dont feel that way.

You should feel sorry for such people, because in truth they don't accept their own body or who they are, they don't love themselves. And thats unfortunate. They should learn to truly love themselves, be like "curves are beautiful" and not need to put anyone down for having another body type because they're happy and confident with their own.

I think that would be amazing, they'd be much happier for it, and so would everyone else. I wish that on everyone, to accept themselves for who they are, and not feel inferior for their "flaws".

• Well, the thing is, curves are boobs, or hips.
      Curves are not the 6 rolls of stomach fat women are trying to say is “more beautiful”.

• @VaIiant Exactly. Thank you. A girl with true "curves" like a nice rack and hips and a small heart-shaped butt is sexy but I'm not tryna pick up a Michelin Man lol.

• No no, I don’t mean like crazy chubby curves, I mean a girl with a neater hourglass figure who is relatively in shape and healthy, most guys do prefer a bubble butt and etc

• I've had to say this to someone before and I'll say it again.
    "Does bacteria dislike us when we wash our hands with soap. I don't care and neither should you."

Why are you getting asshurt because inferior people are basically telling you that you're above them? I don't get it. -_-

• I can relate to this. I grew up skinny, and people would always laugh or make comments, even my own mother. The general consensus was that I was either weak, or a 'girl'. The odd thing was, almost ALL of these skinny-shamers were fat. Really, if you're gonna make fun of somebody being skinny, you better be in DAMN top shape! I'm average size now, and most of these skinny-shamer people are now dead.

• It's simple, if youz a fat girl, lose weight, if youz a skinny girl gain weight, den no probz girl, go get em

• obviously
    fit isn't shammed though... I've never really ever seen fit shamming

fit is the way to be.. not skinny either lol

• Some people can't "choose" the way to be.

• say whatever you want but if you want to know how to gain weight instead of contradicting everything... just listen
      if you weight lift NOT cardio... go do weight lifting... eat calorie dense foods
      if you consistently consume more calories a day than you burn you WILL gain weight

fast metabolism or not...
      diabetics may have a harder time cause your insulin is usually low... but with the right foods and timing you can gain

fast metabolism is nothing more than not eating enough calories... no one is like super man burning it all off
      humans aren't superman lol

• actually if you stay skinny that's even better
      you can gain muscle without getting fat... that's like a win win

• I dont neccesarily think overweight people tends to always be hypocrites, some are, no doubt, but I see it more as some- I am not saying all - but that some see a way of spinning bad selfesteem, poor general health and so on towards taking on the victim role. "Everyone hates fast people and makes fun of fat people, its so hard and I am so alone so that is why I currently is back on McD for the third time today. before its even lunch because I have to eat beacuse its so hard... etc etc... just taking the not polite approach- I am soo tired, I gave up on looking at what I am writing hours ago, so it may seem a little explicit or mean; Its not my intention. Im just saying, that the only one you really fuck is yourself if you suddenly justifies eating way beyond what is even close to variated or limited, and just blame OTHER people fighting actual problems and really hard stuff; fx those like you in the entirely other end the - thats going to come out wrong somehow - types of struggles. Is it easier? I dont think so. At all. Something similiar is happening to the "really skinny" people- you find ways to justify, embrace and smile about it. Create dysfunctional ideas of reason and consequence just trying to cope, surviving I guess. I have been with the Danish NGO called "LMS" which is an organisation for people with eating-disorders, people being body-shamed or maybe facing other kinds of really heavy and difficult stuff. But one thing IS certain; NO ONE is having the time of their life not eating and creating and building beauty-ideals, trying to make other people believe in the good of making calenders using models on the brink of death and imense and so damaging failure to organs, bones, your entire body, that it sometimes cries to heaven -or hell or where the fuck, but just like the fat person victimises her/himself in able to eat and at least pretend to feel good and be happy, so does the skinny people - just in very different ways, but the core of it all is the same! And that only begs the freaking stars, why we for the 13th year straight are cutting back, firing educated personal equipped to handle people with psychological problems, why we as a society STILL doesn't accept mental illness being just as much AN ILLNESS as somatic illnesses. Everybody can relate if you say "hey, fuck - I got cancer". They get it, they feel bad and wants to help but the instant you say "Hey, I got a personality disorder that causes me to isolate myself from the world

• And the second part -that was just as long an confusing, but with my god damn core conclusions just evaporated into thick air...

• O hell yes
    I was all ways skinny shamed growing up. The worst part is they don't think they are hurting your feelings but they are helping you by shaming you. Telling you to put on some weight.

• Happens to guys, too, although not since I was 18, even though I've been skinny almost the entire time (and am now). Happened a lot to me as a teenager- only refuge was running track, where there were lots of other skinny guys...

• I'm naturally skinny... I've aten a box of donuts (12 of them) and didn't gain a single pound. Either my body doesn't absorb or it just metabolizes I just can't gain the weight.

But if you think being a skinny girl sucks, try being a skinny guy... we have it just as bad as obese girls.

• thats only 2,500 calories. why would you gain a pound? A pound is more calories than that.

• @UnaKaizen True... but I feel like being so skinny is not good. Besides, skinny people can have diabetes, heart disease, etc. as well. Yes, we do have fewer cells to deal with but I think for me just to be a bit more bigger would be good for my overall physical image (and yes, I do care about how I look).

• I just think there's more good than bad, but its up to you what you care about. :)

• One of my friends was always telling me that girl i had crush on was too skinny, no curves... ugly... I actually find her attractive cause of among her personality cause of her fit look. I like skinny girls but its weird to see some males around me disliking it. I was always thinking that all of us have the same opinion of beauty, but it looks like that different people have different tastes. Someone like apple, someone banana, someone watermelon...

• Everyone has different preferences. I always thought that I preferred athletic and thin women, but I also like curves too. I find each body type attractive for their own reasons. The only type I am not attracted to is very chubby or "skinny fat" women. However, if a chubby or fat woman carries her weight well, I may still be attractive. Never say never right?

• Say this to your self as skinny, fat, medium or what ever say it out loud to your self I WILL BE WHAT I WANT TO BE. Skinny people trying to be more skinny while ignoring their health problems, fat people does the same by eating more than they should, there is something people are missing that not to give a fuck about what others think.
    When are we gonna talk about those who workout 7 days a week and never train legs ;) they are by far worst kinda of people on earth in my opinion

• I've desperately made it my damn mission to bulk the fuck up but just can't add a single pound while chugging as much food as I can down this grocery hole every day. I'm 5'11'' and only 127 pounds and I look so disgusting.

• Haha I hear you. I'm 6'1" and 140, and no matter how much or how little I eat it always stays +/- 2 pounds. I'm pretty sure natural weight is a thing and it's not even worth fighting. Being skinny doesn't mean you're weak either, as people assume. All it means is that you have a great power-to-weight ratio!

• Yea this is definitely messed up.

I'm sorry about what you're going through. My girlfriend in high school was super thin because of a really tough illness she was going through, and people all thought she was depressed or anorexic and it really pissed her off.

I still thought she looked beautiful, although in her case, it definitely wasn't a HEALTHY thing, because obviously she was sick.

I think as long as you're being healthy, you're beautiful. And sometimes even when you're not healthy.

• I like this take. i0.kym-cdn.com/.../9df.gif

• I was skinny all my life untill last five years, now i have put on weight as per my bmi but i know how it feels when people call you skinny. You said it right that we all are humans and we should like others for who they are and not their looks.

• Contemporary culture music particularly hip hop, can have a tendency to be misogynistic, you should try to ignore these people that are calling you names, there probably be ugly on the outside a worse in. And if that picture was you, then I'm going to take a cold shower, you too beautiful!

• As long as you're healthy, you can be beautiful. If you can't run a mile because you have no energy or you've got too much plaque in your heart, then change your diet and exercise routines.

• Skinny person here: yes.
    But I'm a guy, so most people don't care.
    Instead, everyone seems to think, that I don't know I'm taller than average. Fascinating.

• I love most female body types including skinny. I was underweight as well growing up. I was made fun of too.

• Which is harder for males, since we are expected to be physically strong by our colleagues since we are little kids! Not only i was (and still am) a skinnier person, i was also (and still am) a very short person compared to other guys. Childhood was trash. At least people seem to care less nowadays.

• More from Guys
    53

What Girls Said 50

• Shaming in general sucks. I've been the fat girl pretty much all my life so I've dealt with my fair share of shaming. It doesn't make you want to change. It just makes you feel like shit.

• Been called a "wall" before... cuz i dont have them huge cans. I can't do nothing about it, Its just the way it is! the thing also is when I got like friends and we like to tease each other they would usually say i am like a wall in front but I got nice ass, or so they said. Still, that made me self-conscious about my "nonexistent" boobs which I can't just change. The truth is... I like having small boobs!!! Its so comfy and you just dont even think about it much. you dont worry constantly. its just that people will usually give u unwanted attention because of it, but other than that it's so convenient. No back aches, nothing heavy to carry. But yeah you get insecure sometimes. like sometimes you can't wear clothing that should fit to the chest cuz you dont have any bigguns.. kinda hard to deal with that one. But still, I love it. I never worry about it unless someone comments on it again. And yes I'm really skinny a tailor once said i was too skinny for some dress. now im trying to gain some weight, and i actually eat a lot... Hoping for the best!

• No one should be body shamed. I don't know of any person who looks in the mirror and feels like they are living up to all the body expectations people have. We all have to start being a lot nicer. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and genders. Everyone should be able to have flattering, fashionable clothes that fit. Everyone should have seatbelts that fit.

• Trust me Im from the opposite, I usually have family member pinching my arm or thighs and asking me to 'get thin' and I find it annoying. I've always wanted to be skinny, I feel like clothes fit much better and I find it impossible to wear jeans because I have short, fat legs. So maybe the people who shame you are the same ones who envy you.

• Yasss. Skinny People Problems (That Nobody Thinks About!) ↗
    I agree when i wrote this yo

• I agree... it's not nice to hate and shame anyone for the body shape ❌

• Sorry, but people are not skinny shamed. That is 100% NOT a thing. First, the skinny bitch reference... skinny is the adjective, bitch is the noun, so being referred to as a bitch has nothing to do with being skinny. Literally they think of all women as bitches. Skinny is telling you of which 'bitch' he is referring so that's not skinny shaming, that's just insulting women because you can.

And the truth is men do like meat and not bones. That's just basic science. Thicker, healthier looking and shaped women tell a man that you can carry their child and possibly have a stronger, healthier one. That's all over the animal kingdom and we ARE animals. Seeing your ribs is not healthy. At all.

If anything, being skinny is glorified these days to the point where it is killing men and women. Being HEALTHY should be glorified but some are associating both as synonyms when they're not.

Skinnier people have an easier time finding clothes, dates, jobs, and friends versus a fat person.

By the way, I'm not fat at all. But it's annoying that skinny people think that whatever small comments they get are the same as what a fat person gets. People are made fun of in general and can be made fun of for anything, but skinny shaming? Shit is not a thing. Stop trying to make it a thing.

• I haven't been shamed for being thin but I don't like it when people tell me to eat more to fill out a bit. I'm happy with my body as it is, mostly anyway, and just because I might be different from you or anyone else is no reason for shaming either way.

• Sadly, skinny shaming is said to be fine since many cultures focus on being skinny and as a result women started to be unsatisfied with their bodies despite having nothing wrong with them. So literally being skinny is now associated with being anorexic, hence the movements saying that real women have curves to help more women to feel less insecure.

This made people completely forget that some people are just naturally skinny and they have no disorder.

• Exactly. I hate when people say "real men like such and such." Since when does a man's preference determine whether he's a real man or not? Sometimes being skinny is genetic and some people need to keep their unnecessary comments to themselves.

• You're absolutely right. I've always been chubby, so I never thought that thin people could be insecure about their bodies or have it be criticised. Then I met my best friend, who is very thin, and her body is her single biggest insecurity. If anyone ever says anything like "wow you're too skinny" or "do you ever eat?" she bursts into tears.

• Yep I've been skinny shamed by my sister inlaw, she made a comment that I shouldn't be joining the gym because I'm already skinny.
    I've been shamed by my mother and brother because I'm only a B cup.

• People are stupid who think gym is only meant to loose weight. Gym is a place where you work out to stay fit

• I think they bad because they lack the motivation to do anything.
      Meanwhile I've lost a little bit of weight from around my tummy, I only noticed because I went to put on my favorite shorts and fit me better.
      I don't weigh myself though I haven't done so in a long time, I just go by how my clothes fit.

• Well done... I always like when pants or trousers that were tighter seem a bit looser. And considering that it's just past Christmas... good job.

• Sure... but never or barely ever by media... (Anorexic - yes... skinny - not really...)
    Also, you know it's because of jealousy...
    Just like shaming fat people is because the shamer has some deep-seeded problems of their own... not becaus of the actual body mass of the person they're making fun of... It's all psychology.

• That's society. If you are skinny, you are shamed. If you are curvy you are shamed. If you are normal weight you are shamed.

The next time someone tells you you are skinny just give them what they deserve and don't let them walk over you. As long as you are healthy, you shouldn't be worried about your weight.

• Skinny my whole life and short. I prefer to say I'm petite. At times I have struggled to keep weight on and then feel self conscious about looking too thin. I know exactly how you feel.

• right yet they also make millions in the model industry so insults dont carry the same weight. witch hunts for 'eating disorders;' however, that can fuck up a life. hysterics are the worst.

• also, the second picture she's not skinny, she's lean with muscle.

• I agree wholeheartedly about this. It repulses me to see anyone fat or skinny or just shaming anybody else. Period.

I'm 5'3 and 102# and struggled for a long time to be okay with who I am. As cliche as it sounds, people speak due to their own insecurities and the same chicks that have hounded me at work saying things like, "i just wanna feed you a burger" are the same girls that talk about how much they want to lose weight on a side conversation.

I entered a challenge with myself to simply tone up and my weight has remained the same. Ultimately, as long as I feel good, then no one else's opinion matters.

• thank you for writing this! it is true man, skinny people are body shamed too. I've been before, one of the things I've been called is anorexic, though I'm not literally skin and bones. my skinniness comes from genetics too

• Well it's true.. i know a friend who have the same problem but she does not care much and jokes about their comments. But let me tell you that if you want others to respect you then you should make your voice be heard and not remain silent. Saying it here on gag won't help you in real life, you should face the people who try to shame you and say all the things you've said here, that will make a difference.

• I am pretty blunt and I tend to say if someone is too fat or too thin for that matter.
    I just think there is a healthy range and people who don't fit in it need to work on themselves.
    Some people are naturally leaner or fuller but there are limits on both ends of the scale where it becomes problematic.
    For me as long as the person is maintaining himself and keeping fit it s all good. I can appreciate different body types as long as it is in shape and looking healthy.

• More from Girls
    30