Skinny People Are Body Shamed Too

I've been put down my whole life for being too skinny. I was bullied for having really thin legs. People would say that I was chicken legged. I was called 'boobless' 'assless' 'Mrs bones' and I would look at myself in the mirror each day and think "maybe they're right. maybe I am this horrible, ugly monster that they claim I am." I hated my body. While "fat" "curvy" girls were accepted and praised, skinny girls were looked at like trash. We're people too. Especially me, I can't help my genetics.

I think a lot of overweight people are hypocrites. I'm naturally tall and skinny, my family are all naturally skinny too it's just part of our genes. I eat what I want, I don't starve myself, and I am beautiful. Sso why are you allowed to love you 'curves' but its wrong for me to love my 'bones'? People say "real women have curves". Why is it okay for you to call me anorexic, but horrible for me to call you fat? If you can tell me to 'gain weight', why can't I tell you to lose weight? If you can feel beautiful for being big, I can feel beautiful for being small.

Why is it acceptable for people to post things like: "Women are meant to have curves, boobs, big thighs and a nice ass. Who wants to be with a toothpick? I mean seriously. There's no place for a guy to put his hands"

What has happened to our humanity? I would never ever call a person fat or chubby or disgusting because of their body. So why am I constantly being called too skinny or a twig? I think everyone needs to come together and be humans again. We need to get over this 'body shaming' phase and accept everyone for who they are because everyone, whether we know it or not, has body insecurities. Everyone is beautiful.

5174

Most Helpful Guy

• 100% agree, great take! I've been mocked for being skinny all my life while desperately trying to gain weight.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's so true

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 73

• Yea this is definitely messed up.

I'm sorry about what you're going through. My girlfriend in high school was super thin because of a really tough illness she was going through, and people all thought she was depressed or anorexic and it really pissed her off.

I still thought she looked beautiful, although in her case, it definitely wasn't a HEALTHY thing, because obviously she was sick.

I think as long as you're being healthy, you're beautiful. And sometimes even when you're not healthy.

• I've had to say this to someone before and I'll say it again.
    "Does bacteria dislike us when we wash our hands with soap. I don't care and neither should you."

Why are you getting asshurt because inferior people are basically telling you that you're above them? I don't get it. -_-

• O hell yes
    I was all ways skinny shamed growing up. The worst part is they don't think they are hurting your feelings but they are helping you by shaming you. Telling you to put on some weight.

• I can relate to this. I grew up skinny, and people would always laugh or make comments, even my own mother. The general consensus was that I was either weak, or a 'girl'. The odd thing was, almost ALL of these skinny-shamers were fat. Really, if you're gonna make fun of somebody being skinny, you better be in DAMN top shape! I'm average size now, and most of these skinny-shamer people are now dead.

• A fat person shaming a skinny person for being skinny is like a poor person shaming a rich person for being financially successful. Why would you even care? The idea that you can be shamed for being slim and actually get affected by it is ridiculous to me.

I saw another take recently about "fit-shaming". Apparently this person felt upset because people shamed her for being fit. I don't get it. Shaming should only work when the person doing the shaming is pointing out something that you should be ashamed of. Something bad. Being overweight is bad, being slim or fit is not. That's why it makes absolutely no sense.

• I love most female body types including skinny. I was underweight as well growing up. I was made fun of too.

• Which is harder for males, since we are expected to be physically strong by our colleagues since we are little kids! Not only i was (and still am) a skinnier person, i was also (and still am) a very short person compared to other guys. Childhood was trash. At least people seem to care less nowadays.

• Happens to guys, too, although not since I was 18, even though I've been skinny almost the entire time (and am now). Happened a lot to me as a teenager- only refuge was running track, where there were lots of other skinny guys...

• I'm naturally skinny... I've aten a box of donuts (12 of them) and didn't gain a single pound. Either my body doesn't absorb or it just metabolizes I just can't gain the weight.

But if you think being a skinny girl sucks, try being a skinny guy... we have it just as bad as obese girls.

• thats only 2,500 calories. why would you gain a pound? A pound is more calories than that.

• @UnaKaizen True... but I feel like being so skinny is not good. Besides, skinny people can have diabetes, heart disease, etc. as well. Yes, we do have fewer cells to deal with but I think for me just to be a bit more bigger would be good for my overall physical image (and yes, I do care about how I look).

• I just think there's more good than bad, but its up to you what you care about. :)

• One of my friends was always telling me that girl i had crush on was too skinny, no curves... ugly... I actually find her attractive cause of among her personality cause of her fit look. I like skinny girls but its weird to see some males around me disliking it. I was always thinking that all of us have the same opinion of beauty, but it looks like that different people have different tastes. Someone like apple, someone banana, someone watermelon...

• America is fat central. I'm skinny and am disgusted everyday dealing with fatties (I work in the restaurant industry). I see perfectly"hot" guys (no homo) with these fat ugly beached whales and I'm like whaaaaa?

I also don't get the glamorization of morbid obesity in rap/dance music. Yuck! Sorry but bubble butts are disgusting.

It's American culture for some reason. I don't get it. Go to Asia and you rarely find fat pigs. It's diet.

I'm American and am ashamed how low we've sunk as far as our acceptable standards of beauty. Fatties love it because they're getting laid by conditioned males who can't recognize sheer laziness or lack of self-worth.

• Well when you feel bad about yourself you can take it out on others to make yourself feel superior.

What that says about the people saying this is that its just a front. They say "its ok to be fat etc... blabla" (which I believe is totally fine for the record, have the body you want and love yourself, I'm all for it!) but although they say it they don't believe it. They don't actually think its true and they still feel inferior to a pretty girl with a flat stomach. So they feel the need to put them down to feel better about themselves again.

Its like your body just triggers them, it reminds them of what they wish they could have, but don't have the possibility, willpower, whatever the reason is (sometimes its changeable other times not). And that makes them feel bad, so to feel good again they just lash out, bring you down to elevate themselves nad be like "yeah, real women have curves, nobody wants a twig, she's ugly", though deep down they really dont feel that way.

You should feel sorry for such people, because in truth they don't accept their own body or who they are, they don't love themselves. And thats unfortunate. They should learn to truly love themselves, be like "curves are beautiful" and not need to put anyone down for having another body type because they're happy and confident with their own.

I think that would be amazing, they'd be much happier for it, and so would everyone else. I wish that on everyone, to accept themselves for who they are, and not feel inferior for their "flaws".

• Well, the thing is, curves are boobs, or hips.
      Curves are not the 6 rolls of stomach fat women are trying to say is “more beautiful”.

• @VaIiant Exactly. Thank you. A girl with true "curves" like a nice rack and hips and a small heart-shaped butt is sexy but I'm not tryna pick up a Michelin Man lol.

• No no, I don’t mean like crazy chubby curves, I mean a girl with a neater hourglass figure who is relatively in shape and healthy, most guys do prefer a bubble butt and etc

• "Real men like" blah blah blah anything that follows that is automatically stupid. Most guys like petite/fit/thin girls, period. And some don't.

• obviously
    fit isn't shammed though... I've never really ever seen fit shamming

fit is the way to be.. not skinny either lol

• Some people can't "choose" the way to be.

• say whatever you want but if you want to know how to gain weight instead of contradicting everything... just listen
      if you weight lift NOT cardio... go do weight lifting... eat calorie dense foods
      if you consistently consume more calories a day than you burn you WILL gain weight

fast metabolism or not...
      diabetics may have a harder time cause your insulin is usually low... but with the right foods and timing you can gain

fast metabolism is nothing more than not eating enough calories... no one is like super man burning it all off
      humans aren't superman lol

• actually if you stay skinny that's even better
      you can gain muscle without getting fat... that's like a win win

• Everyone has different preferences. I always thought that I preferred athletic and thin women, but I also like curves too. I find each body type attractive for their own reasons. The only type I am not attracted to is very chubby or "skinny fat" women. However, if a chubby or fat woman carries her weight well, I may still be attractive. Never say never right?

• It's simple, if youz a fat girl, lose weight, if youz a skinny girl gain weight, den no probz girl, go get em

• I like this take. i0.kym-cdn.com/.../9df.gif

• it all depends on where you live and who you live around. Plus there is skinny and like being a toothpick.

• As long as you're healthy, you can be beautiful. If you can't run a mile because you have no energy or you've got too much plaque in your heart, then change your diet and exercise routines.

• I dont neccesarily think overweight people tends to always be hypocrites, some are, no doubt, but I see it more as some- I am not saying all - but that some see a way of spinning bad selfesteem, poor general health and so on towards taking on the victim role. "Everyone hates fast people and makes fun of fat people, its so hard and I am so alone so that is why I currently is back on McD for the third time today. before its even lunch because I have to eat beacuse its so hard... etc etc... just taking the not polite approach- I am soo tired, I gave up on looking at what I am writing hours ago, so it may seem a little explicit or mean; Its not my intention. Im just saying, that the only one you really fuck is yourself if you suddenly justifies eating way beyond what is even close to variated or limited, and just blame OTHER people fighting actual problems and really hard stuff; fx those like you in the entirely other end the - thats going to come out wrong somehow - types of struggles. Is it easier? I dont think so. At all. Something similiar is happening to the "really skinny" people- you find ways to justify, embrace and smile about it. Create dysfunctional ideas of reason and consequence just trying to cope, surviving I guess. I have been with the Danish NGO called "LMS" which is an organisation for people with eating-disorders, people being body-shamed or maybe facing other kinds of really heavy and difficult stuff. But one thing IS certain; NO ONE is having the time of their life not eating and creating and building beauty-ideals, trying to make other people believe in the good of making calenders using models on the brink of death and imense and so damaging failure to organs, bones, your entire body, that it sometimes cries to heaven -or hell or where the fuck, but just like the fat person victimises her/himself in able to eat and at least pretend to feel good and be happy, so does the skinny people - just in very different ways, but the core of it all is the same! And that only begs the freaking stars, why we for the 13th year straight are cutting back, firing educated personal equipped to handle people with psychological problems, why we as a society STILL doesn't accept mental illness being just as much AN ILLNESS as somatic illnesses. Everybody can relate if you say "hey, fuck - I got cancer". They get it, they feel bad and wants to help but the instant you say "Hey, I got a personality disorder that causes me to isolate myself from the world

• And the second part -that was just as long an confusing, but with my god damn core conclusions just evaporated into thick air...

• Everyone who's not average gets body shamed, I have a friend who's a fitness model and people often say his body is ugly and disgusting even...

• More from Guys
    53

What Girls Said 50

• Shaming in general sucks. I've been the fat girl pretty much all my life so I've dealt with my fair share of shaming. It doesn't make you want to change. It just makes you feel like shit.

• I agree... it's not nice to hate and shame anyone for the body shape ❌

• I agree wholeheartedly about this. It repulses me to see anyone fat or skinny or just shaming anybody else. Period.

I'm 5'3 and 102# and struggled for a long time to be okay with who I am. As cliche as it sounds, people speak due to their own insecurities and the same chicks that have hounded me at work saying things like, "i just wanna feed you a burger" are the same girls that talk about how much they want to lose weight on a side conversation.

I entered a challenge with myself to simply tone up and my weight has remained the same. Ultimately, as long as I feel good, then no one else's opinion matters.

• No one should be body shamed. I don't know of any person who looks in the mirror and feels like they are living up to all the body expectations people have. We all have to start being a lot nicer. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and genders. Everyone should be able to have flattering, fashionable clothes that fit. Everyone should have seatbelts that fit.

• Trust me Im from the opposite, I usually have family member pinching my arm or thighs and asking me to 'get thin' and I find it annoying. I've always wanted to be skinny, I feel like clothes fit much better and I find it impossible to wear jeans because I have short, fat legs. So maybe the people who shame you are the same ones who envy you.

• Yasss. Skinny People Problems (That Nobody Thinks About!) ↗
    I agree when i wrote this yo

• Just imagine if you can, what it was like for me growing up.
    I was an extremely early developer (8) and was wearing a regular bra by the age of ten.
    Going into my teens I was a 32DD, tall (5' 7") and weighed around 100lbs.
    Fast forwarding to today, I now have a 34KK bust, stand 5' 9" and weigh around 140lbs.
    Until going into my twenties, I had always heard of some snide remarks being made about my build/body/figure which I always found so hurtful and painful.
    The only consoling thing that ever kept me going was the constant support from my elder sister @Kaylyne who very sadly had been through precisely the very same thing.
    It's a very sad and upsetting fact of life, that at times people of both genders can be so extremely cruel and spiteful.

• Been called a "wall" before... cuz i dont have them huge cans. I can't do nothing about it, Its just the way it is! the thing also is when I got like friends and we like to tease each other they would usually say i am like a wall in front but I got nice ass, or so they said. Still, that made me self-conscious about my "nonexistent" boobs which I can't just change. The truth is... I like having small boobs!!! Its so comfy and you just dont even think about it much. you dont worry constantly. its just that people will usually give u unwanted attention because of it, but other than that it's so convenient. No back aches, nothing heavy to carry. But yeah you get insecure sometimes. like sometimes you can't wear clothing that should fit to the chest cuz you dont have any bigguns.. kinda hard to deal with that one. But still, I love it. I never worry about it unless someone comments on it again. And yes I'm really skinny a tailor once said i was too skinny for some dress. now im trying to gain some weight, and i actually eat a lot... Hoping for the best!

• Yep I've been skinny shamed by my sister inlaw, she made a comment that I shouldn't be joining the gym because I'm already skinny.
    I've been shamed by my mother and brother because I'm only a B cup.

• People are stupid who think gym is only meant to loose weight. Gym is a place where you work out to stay fit

• I think they bad because they lack the motivation to do anything.
      Meanwhile I've lost a little bit of weight from around my tummy, I only noticed because I went to put on my favorite shorts and fit me better.
      I don't weigh myself though I haven't done so in a long time, I just go by how my clothes fit.

• Well done... I always like when pants or trousers that were tighter seem a bit looser. And considering that it's just past Christmas... good job.

• Skinny my whole life and short. I prefer to say I'm petite. At times I have struggled to keep weight on and then feel self conscious about looking too thin. I know exactly how you feel.

• Nice take

• Sadly, skinny shaming is said to be fine since many cultures focus on being skinny and as a result women started to be unsatisfied with their bodies despite having nothing wrong with them. So literally being skinny is now associated with being anorexic, hence the movements saying that real women have curves to help more women to feel less insecure.

This made people completely forget that some people are just naturally skinny and they have no disorder.

• Exactly. I hate when people say "real men like such and such." Since when does a man's preference determine whether he's a real man or not? Sometimes being skinny is genetic and some people need to keep their unnecessary comments to themselves.

• You're absolutely right. I've always been chubby, so I never thought that thin people could be insecure about their bodies or have it be criticised. Then I met my best friend, who is very thin, and her body is her single biggest insecurity. If anyone ever says anything like "wow you're too skinny" or "do you ever eat?" she bursts into tears.

• I agree with you. But i think the issue doesn't get as much attention as if someone where fat because realistically skinny people are considered healthy and more attractive on a much wider scale. Someone who's naturally skinny is considered healthier than someone who's fat. No one is naturally fat.
    Having people you know shaming your body is really upsetting. I hope you tell them it bothers you. I think people dont realize that skinny people are self-conscious about their bodies too. So when people say twig they think it's more of a joke than realizing its hurting you.

• right yet they also make millions in the model industry so insults dont carry the same weight. witch hunts for 'eating disorders;' however, that can fuck up a life. hysterics are the worst.

• also, the second picture she's not skinny, she's lean with muscle.

• I haven't been shamed for being thin but I don't like it when people tell me to eat more to fill out a bit. I'm happy with my body as it is, mostly anyway, and just because I might be different from you or anyone else is no reason for shaming either way.

• I knew a very popular guy who said that people will hate you no matter what you do.

• Sure... but never or barely ever by media... (Anorexic - yes... skinny - not really...)
    Also, you know it's because of jealousy...
    Just like shaming fat people is because the shamer has some deep-seeded problems of their own... not becaus of the actual body mass of the person they're making fun of... It's all psychology.

• Trend. The simple answer is trend. I dont think its really based on what body type people have a preference for. Everyones trying to fit in so those who have always like bigger girls are finally speaking out about it because its no longer that big of a deal and other ple are just hopping onto the band waggon. I think that skinny shaming is a result of fat shaming because its more common to hear about "fat" girls being bullied by skinny girls and as a result the bulliying has been reversed. Now that its a trend to be curvy everyone is accepting it and hyping it up because we've finally stopped shoving skinny down everyones throats and we've started shoving curves down everyones throat and trying to do something positive but ultimately making those who are skinny feel left out.

• More from Girls
    30