Why Do We Procrastinate?

There is no denying it, we all procrastinate, some more than others. To the people who consider themselves "non-procrastinator" the motives and reasoning behind some of the more avid procrastinators is a mystery. Why not get it done now? Why wait? As a person who is a heavy procrastinator and someone who knows a lot of other procrastinators, here are my thoughts on why we procrastinate.

1. Instant Gratification

Why Do We Procrastinate?

This can refer to anything from video games, to watching movies, to hanging with friends. Our desire to have a sense of entertainment overrides our drive to accomplish the task at hand. This is probably the most common reason we procrastinate.

2. Lack Of Motivation

Why Do We Procrastinate?

We all have those days when we just don't feel like doing anything. For the more severe procrastinators, these days are fairly common. Even if we force ourselves to do work, we might do a sloppy job or not even do it at all.

3. "It Can Wait..."

Why Do We Procrastinate?

"Don't worry, I can do it tomorrow," are words procrastinators often say to themselves. We keep telling ourselves that we still have time and to not worry and then "Holy smoke! The deadline is tomorrow and I haven't even started!" This one is especially bad when talking about things that don't have a deadline, like going to the gym.

4. Lack Of Skill/Too Hard

Why Do We Procrastinate?

Often times when something is to difficult or we don't know how to do something we avoid it. We don't want to deal with a task that we fear we can't accomplish so it just gets pushed back. We fall into the 'Out of sigh, out of mind' mentality, but no matter what we do, it won't go away.

5. Too Much Work

Why Do We Procrastinate?

When we feel like we are just drowning in work we have to do, we tend to avoid it. We don't want to handle it right now. We just keep pushing it back until eventually it come and bites us in the butt.

6. Spite

Why Do We Procrastinate?

Albeit not a very common reason it is still a big one. Say a person asks you to do something for you, but said person was a jerk to you just the other day. Many procrastinators would do what they do best and put their task off to the side or in many cases just never do it.

These are some of the few reasons I see and use as explanation to why I procrastinate. Procrastination comes in many shaped and forms, it isn't a one size fits all. We all have our own reasons as to why we procrastinate that may or may not line up with some of theses. Do all of you big procrastinators agree? Were there any other reasons that I may have missed?

69

Most Helpful Girl

• In reality this happens when people are judged by another person. Means there is a person having an opinion about another person. But the person can feel that. This to feel is healthy so nothing stays unnoticed. People are for that reason called crazy. But they do not imagine things.
    Mean; those people who are hated for being dumb procrastinates what many times happens to humiliate them are for sure judged by another person that is hiding this from publicity and do not come openly out of it so it is done behind the persons back with other people who know about it but do not tell the person in question.

Most Helpful Guy

• These aren't reasons they are rationalities. For instance:

"Often times when something is to difficult or we don't know how to do something we avoid it. We don't want to deal with a task that we fear we can't accomplish so it just gets pushed back. We fall into the 'Out of sigh, out of mind' mentality, but no matter what we do, it won't go away."

Why is that? Just noting that this occurs doesn't really explain anything about it. The same with the rest. Nothing is wrong with the take itself but it doesn't address the actual thesis question.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 5

• It's because we don't really want to do it... Whatever that might be.

• It's human nature.

• Because we don’t want to do the task! Simple!

• You're not wrong, but I am trying to explain some of the reasons why we don't want to do the task.

• Because the task is boring! Pointless, or a waste of time!

• Also don’t be enslaved by society’s expectations and make your bed every morning... it is pointless! Think of the things you do in bed! 😉 and all the bacteria, dead skin cells, sweat etc that goes with it. When you make your bed, you create a warm oven for this bacteria to grow! Don’t do it! Fold the blankets away, and open the windows to let fresh air and sunlight in. Sunlight is a great killer of bacteria. Your bed will feel fresh and clean!

• Because we are enslaved by society

• #s 2 and 5 for me XD

What Guys Said 8

• Novelty.

Basically, many of us are comfort addicts. That is why people talk about getting out of your comfort zone. Tasks are generally much harder the first time you do them. So we often avoid them altogether.

• Great points. Maybe we're also subconsciously hoping it just goes away and we don't have to deal with it!

• Procrastination is the natural and smart avoidance of monotony.
    So either your work is pointless, or you push too hard at it.

• Sure...

I'm honestly considering changing my name to LazyBones

• I was going to answer this, but I'll do it later.

• Because we are lazy.

• That too. I just figured it was a bit too blunt to include.

• good take. fear could make it in the list too.

• Personal insecurities.