What Your Myers–Briggs Personality Says About You

Before reading, you can take the quiz here. It only takes about 12 minutes. Make sure to answer honestly or else it won't work.

A bit of background before we get into the real meat and bones of it all.

Isabel Briggs Myers (October 18, 1897 – May 5, 1980) grew up in Washington and attended Swarthmore College. She started studying political science. Katharine Cooks Briggs (Isabel's mother) was inspired to start researching personality type theory with her daughter. After the publication of Carl G. Jung's "Psychological Types" published in 1923 (1921 in Germany) when she realized her theories weren't so different from his. In about 1943 she published the first questionnaire (which would later become the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)) It implemented the ideas of Carl G. Jung (who founded analytical psychology). It is broken down into four (sometime five) categories. These categories are Mind, Energy, Nature, and Tactics (with the fifth one being Identity) in that order. These categories are then broken into two parts Mind is broken into Extroverted (E) and Introverted (I), Energy is broken into Intuitive (N) and Observant (S), Nature is broken into Thinking (T) and Feeling (F), and Tactics is broken into Judging (J) and Prospecting (P) (Identity is broken into Assertive (-A) and Turbulent (-T)). This leaves us with 16 main personality types ENFJ, ENFP, ENTJ, ENTP, ESFJ, ESFP, ESTJ, ESTP, INFJ, INFP, INTJ, INTP, ISFJ, ISFP, ISTJ, and ISTP. Now, let's get into what everyone came here for.

Mind

This has to do with how we interact with our surroundings, mainly in a social context.

Extrovert

Extroverts aren't sensitive to external stimulus. The often seek out additional stimuli to help preform well. Extroverts are more engaging with their environment and others. The tend to be more energetic and willing to taking leadership and pushing limits and boundaries.

Introvert

Introverts are more sensitive to external stimulus. It can drain them of energy. Often times they strongly prefer simplicity and minimalism. They are often seen as more abstract and artistic and can sometimes get lost in their own head.

Energy

This tells us where we direct most of our mental energy.

Intuitive

These people are more interested in ideas and possibilities. They often question how things work the way they do.

Observant

These people are interested in facts and observable things. They enjoy seeing, touching feeling, and observing things. These people are better at focusing on one thing rather than juggling multiple activities at once.

Nature

This tells us how we make decisions and cope with emotions.

Thinking

These people focus more on logic. The often rely on their head rather than their heart. They keep their emotions to themselves. These people are often just as emotional as their counterpart, they just tend to go off of logic rater than emotion.

Feeling

These people are often very emotional. They follow their heart and doesn't care about hiding their emotions. These people would rather cooperate than compete, but would also fight four what they believe in.

Tactics

This tells us how we approach work, planning, and decision making.

Judging

These people like to have options. They aren't the kind of people who just go with the flow, but much rather have a plan. These people tend to have strong work ethics and puts duty and responsibility above all else.

Prospecting

These people are more relaxed and flexible when it comes to both expected and unexpected challenges. They look for and signs of opportunity. These people don't like to commit to anything that will prove to be frivolous or pointless later on and are much more interested in what makes them happy rather than expectations.

Identity

This shows how confident we are in our abilities and decisions. This one is often considered to not be one of the four main categories and is often left out.

Assertive

These people are self-assured, even-tempered and often resist stress. They refuse to worry to much and try not to push themselves too hard. They feel more confident in their abilities. Theses people are often more satisfied with their life.

Turbulent

These people are self-consciousness and sensitive to stress. They are more self-driven, perfectionist, and always pushes themselves. These people often achieve what they want to.

That's all I have for today. This was actually a lot harder than many of my other Takes and required a lot of research (sources below (APA format)). I hope you all enjoyed. What is your personality types? Does it line up with what I have here? I am an ISTP-A. And as always, thanks for reading.

Sources

Energy: Intuitive vs. Observant. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.16personalities.com/articles/energy-intuitive-vs-observant

Identity: Assertive vs. Turbulent. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.16personalities.com/articles/identity-assertive-vs-turbulent

MBTI® Basics. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/home.htm?bhcp=1

Mind: Introverted vs. Extraverted. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.16personalities.com/articles/mind-introverted-vs-extraverted

Nature: Thinking vs. Feeling. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.16personalities.com/articles/nature-thinking-vs-feeling

Tactics: Judging vs. Prospecting. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.16personalities.com/articles/tactics-judging-vs-prospecting

The history of the MBTI® assessment. (n.d.). Retrieved March 04, 2018, from https://www.opp.com/en/tools/MBTI/Myers-Briggs-history#

1325
MatthewGoodman is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I appreciate your opinion, but I do think it doesn't really get to the crux of the MBTI.
    a) in order to actually "type" oneself no test really works, you kind of need to do your own reading, with focus on the jungian functions as opposed to the Myers Briggs system
    b) a lot of this MBTI orientated thinking actually tries to restrict people in these weird categories and it doesn't jive with the huge spectrum of human thought

Most Helpful Guy

• A way-over simplification, but yeah, MBTI is a very good predictor of personality, and a way to codefy traits for discussion.

Getting good testing results isn't about being honest as you say, and more about understand what it's really getting at and coming to realize your real and true preferences. Additionally, people tend to become more neutral as they age, or more centered in the trait type poles.

I studied for several years under a college prof for MBTI, have used it in business, conducted marriage seminars with it, and contribute it to saving my second marriage of now 25 years.

I would be nice if people did takes on a subject they actually knew something about, rather than simply regurgitating that which they found on the internet. :(

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 12

• Did you ever see the Adam Ruins Everything special on the Myers Briggs test? I used to put a lot more weight into it until I did. Amazing the things that history leaves out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NQqSnkI32A

I'm not normally the one to point out the obvious that knocks the wind out of peoples sails, but in this case, I think it's important.

• Well, for something unscientific, its surprisingly accurate.
      Me and my roommate took ot once thinking it was some psychology bs but turns out the results matched us really, creepily close.

Well, i guess introvert and extrovert isn't exactly scientific either. However, people are somewhat intro or extroverted.

Its like saying people are tall or short.
      There doesn't have to be a lot of scientific basis to it.

• Some extrovert traits are terrible. Some good. Goes the same as introverts.
      Most people as ENTP identify as ambiverts.

keep an open mind about it. It makes a big difference. Yes, the test is stupid and worded incorrectly. Most will conflict. wih 1 or 2.

you think it's a waste of energy/unaccepted because of pseudoscience, dumb wording, unreliable results. Could be worrying and doing something better. Something like that? lol

Whereas I think, well if I make the results reliable it would give me certain advantages. It's so true in some parts and deadly accurate. It's worth checking out more. Don't worry, it's still a label to me. Also can change any letter in my honest opinion.

INTJ is either lover or nemesis to me lol... Not saying you're wrong.

• @ENTP_EMO I don't think it's any of those things. I think the test is very interesting and has a lot of good points about it that help people. But I've found a lot of people act like their result is 100% of who they are & all they can ever be. So they over invest in one type or another & can have an identity crisis when it changes.

What people need to know is its *one way* to find out *some* things about themselves but it still has a lot of flaws & can't describe all of who they are or will be. This is why it's especially bad for businesses to make decisions based around it. Just because someone is a low energy, book keeping "I" this week doesn't mean they can't become a high energy "E" sales person.

It's all about motivation and perspective. Which is why people need to know what's behind the answer they get and that it isn't set in stone.

• Adventurer :D LOL...

Introverted 94% oh yeah.. I knew that! i hate i hate i hate being in big groups etc, make me nervous and feel out of place

• Good mytake. Although one of the things I don't like about the mbti is how there's this idea that intuitives are superior

• INTJ. And it fits

• I got commander.

• I was a INFJ, -A/-T

• Loved this! I'm the "Field Marshal."

• MEDIATOR PERSONALITY (INFP, -A/-T)

• nice take
    i'm infp
    it's so true

• I am an INFP and it really suits me 😊

• Intp

• I'm an ENFP but the Feeling description initially confused me because most people think I'm very logical, however, I think logical means different things depending on the context. In this context, I get the feeling its less about logical understanding of ideas, concepts, and arguments (my strength) and more of a "how I deal with situations in front of me, in my life," which makes more sense in understanding how I'm more intuitive. However, I wouldn't at all say I prefer cooperate than compete... but again, that could mean different things depending on the context. I found this link that was kind of helpful in explaining the differences. I seem to be somewhere between the two, as most people would not consider me indirect in most situations so I used to wonder why I get the F. I guess I do lean more toward compassion and idealistic values but not to the degree of being indirect and it's always combined with my logical analysis (over-analysis) of everything.
    www.myersbriggs.org/.../thinking-or-feeling.htm

I also do a fair amount of planning and I'm actually drawn to conflict and handle criticism fairly well, even if I disagree but, meh, I know these are all on a spectrum and not absolute 100% qualities. The personality types have different expressions depending on where each person is in their development or which traits theyve developed more. I always get ENFP, even though there are times I don't feel the description fits me 100%. I'm not artistic, for example, even though I can appreciate it and I love (to watch) theater. But I'm happy with it, mostly. :)

I think this is key and explains some of my difficulty in dating (straight men specifically) : "ENFPs tend to be curious about others and preoccupied with discovering the deeper meaning in people and ideas. They want authentic experience and often seek emotional intensity." The depth and insensity point is so fucking key! It usually leaves me feeling like its hard to connect with a lot of men though. But thats okay.

https://www.truity.com/personality-type/ENFP
    https://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENFP.html
    www.16personalities.com/enfp-strengths-and-weaknesses
    http://www.personalitypage.com/html/ENFP_rel.html
    thoughtcatalog.com/.../

Good take - one of my favorite topics!

What Guys Said 24

• Anyone can take any test and get cocky off it and assume they will be great without doing anything. I mean shit, i was tested as an INTJ and i have a fluid IQ of 164. If i took this at face value i would think the world would come to me. Just because i have the traits doesn't mean i don't go through the same shit as everyone else in life. Also, an IQ doesn't determine your knowledge factor so that said if anyone brags about their IQ assume they are in the cocky and overconfident group. People that really understand it know that IQ means nothing as far as overall intelect goes. It's simply ignorant to brag about it period. Otherwise, i did enjoy taking the Myer Briggs and after i felt like i wa held to a higher standard in school. I took it in school when i was in high school. It can suck sometimes because i may be tested at that but i am still human and can't be expected to be on hyper-intellectual mode all day every day. It can be rather annoying. I honestly prefer not to tell people about those two things in my personal life regardless.

• I always really liked my personality, i am so proud to be one.
    INFJ's are lovely people but i got the positive traits on an INTP to as i strongly developed the logical side that INFJ's also have.

• All in all its very accurate especially when you blend in these two as INFJ's are true shapeshifters.

• i am an iNtP... 9w1 5w4 4w5 in enneagram, and in socionics i am ili ni...

i am very familiar with typology...

• INTJ-A here. I'd say it's pretty accurate thought he J was 51% J and 49% P.

• I agree with a lot of these people k felt as I answered the questions that the question it self needed to be worded a bit different or put into context

• I'm INFP-T but the last time was INTP-T. To be honest these tests are oversimplified and not as accurate. It may give us an idea but that's it.

• INTP, one of the second rarest types to exist (I love my instincts... they're like in Hitman : Absolution)

• What this post says about you:

You have contracted the gay.

• ESTP - A
    57% Extroverted
    51% Observant
    58% Thinking
    61% Prospecting
    86% Assertive

• I always drift between ENTJ-A or ENTP-A.

My personality is most often characterized as "The Commander."

• I get ENTJ but get pretty much a borderline equal split between E/I with E coming out by 2% so I'm not sure if I should take that into consideration

• It doesn't. I can't get past the first few questions before they become irrelevant. Most tests are like this for me.

• ISFP Adventurer, most of the time it's accurate. Very rarely it doesn't fit me.

• According to the personality test I should "Seek help immodesty". Did I take the test wrong?

• INTJ, I've taken this test multiple times, and I always get INTJ.

• ENTP come get girls < < TYPE A

• Thanks for the post!

• ENTJ... sounds about right i guess

• I have tested for infp and infj at different times

• Intj: Mastermind / architect

• More from Guys
    4