+1 y

Musicians of GaG: What do you do when you lack inspiration for writing music?

I've been trying to write some music for a long time, when time has permitted... really I don't have much time at all for it so maybe that's the problem lol. But I just don't really "feel" any of the stuff that gets done when I am able to write, unlike some of the songs I've been apart of in the past... songs that I still enjoy and feel proud of to this day.

And it's like, I know I can do it... I can produce a good drum track, and my friend is a good guitar player and everything, but nothing ever feels right. It's like there's a huge lack of inspiration or something. It doesn't help that we don't have a full band either, with ideas flying around constantly and whatnot... Everything just ends up feeling really forced, and my (over) analytical mind ends up breaking everything that I play apart. I don't feel good about any beat that I come up with. It's the weirdest thing...

Anyway, I'm sure all you musicians out there know what it's like and having to be in the "mood" to write songs, or feeling inspired to do so... or not feeling the inspiration, like me. Haha.

I'd love to put together at least a small collection of new songs that I think are awesome and could really feel proud of, but I almost wonder if I just don't have "it" in me anymore. Any ideas on how could I find that "inspiration" again?

If you're a musician, what do you do to get in the songwriting mood?
2
8