+1 y

Why does practically everyone break the speed limit and tailgate?

Even the SLOWEST drivers are often pushing it 5 mph,

I mean it can be difficult to always be at that exact tick mark and sometimes something happens and we may temporarily go 5-7 mph over. That's fine, provided you slow back down.

I usually drive +/- 2 mph within the speed limit in IDEAL conditions. Very occasionally, I may end up 5 or so over for a few seconds if I don't know where I am going or am confused or something like that, but then I'll immediately slow down once I catch myself. And often, I get tailgated for it and as soon as I turn or multiple lanes start, people accelerate hard. On two-lane roads, cars in the left lane whiz by me. Like I said, even the slowest drivers out there want to give at least 5 mph over, as I said.

The speed limit is 30, and so I'll drive like 28-32 mph, and I had like 8 cars lined up behind me tailgating each other within minutes.

In a 25 mph road, within seconds, there were 4 cars closely lined up behind me,

They say you are supposed to maintain a minimum following distance of 3 seconds in ideal conditions (add seconds for other conditions), which is what I do. Yet, one study found that the average American maintains less than one second of following distance. That seems about right. I've seen my own dad drive. Roads usually look like long caterpillars of cars.
1
3