Why do dog owners let their dogs take over their beds?

Why? I've heard stories of people who considered sleeping on the COUCH because of it. When you let your dogs sleep on the bed, that makes them think they are dominant. Which they shouldn't be. The best thing you can do is get a sepapate bed for your dog. If your dog still preferss your bed, then put the bed, in the living room or kitchen. It may seem "cruel" but it's not. I just don't understand why some owners let their dogs take over the house.

713

Most Helpful Guy

• I let my dog sleep on my bed sometimes, most of the time he's in the kitchen. He seems submissive to me. When I'm about to go sleep he'll lay on me, next to me or do whatever

He'll stay off if I tell him to but it's comfortable and gives me a bit of extra warmth so I kinda like it

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

Most Helpful Girl

• Most owners I know who let their dogs sleep on their bed do have a bed for the dog. Who cares that they let their dogs sleep in bed? Some households just were raised for or against it. Some people sleep with their babies in the same bed some do not. Some people let their cats out and some let them poop in a litter box in the same living area.

Also dominant or not as long as your dog is well behaved and you don't mind them sleeping in the same bed, there is no issue I have never heard of it amplifying bad behavior in real life. Plus ever hear of the saying 'a three dog night'? Cold winter nights was a time when people back way back when, let their dogs on the bed, and it was not to let their dogs have reign over them.

What Guys Said 12

• Where is your SCIENTIFIC emperical evidence for this assertion? "When you let your dogs sleep on the bed, that makes them think they are dominant." Can you cite any published papers in reputable journals on this? If not, then don't spout unsubstantiated "facts" from self-proclaimed "experts".

• So you think its ok for dogs to take over your bed while the poor owner sleeps on the small couch where you can barely turn?

• That's not my comment or my issue. I am only challenging your quoted assertion on dominance.

• Its their relationship, why do you care. Talking about someone's dog can be as dangerous as talking about ones kids

• Well I'm just saying. I'm a smart owner. I give my dog a separate bed to sleep in.

• Well good for you

• In some countries the dogs are treated like dogs in the USA the dogs are treated better than the wife.

• That sounds a bit mad - My dogs always slept downstairs

• because some dogs aren't properly trained as pups. because they are so cuuuuute when they are little, forgetting dogs grow.

• My dog sleeps at the end of my bed or next to me. She probably just thinks I'm a dog too. A smarter dog who buys food.

• This is a problem. I think dog must have another place to sleep. My dog have his own bed. I decided to buy it.. Here are examples these beds on https://jonsguide.org/. It is a good decision of this problem..

• dog owners are arrogant fools.

kill a dog get life in prison.
    kill a bull, horse, turtle its tradition.

• My dog is pampered and treated like a member of the family. But she has never tried to get to a spot like you are saying.

• My awesome dog like tricks me lol. I put him in his bed but while I'm sleeping he sneaks into my bed.

• I don't own any dog, its absurd to let them sleep on your bed especially girls should avoid this..

• I let my dogs sleep in the bed and on the couch. They don't dominate the bed and they aren't aggressive towards me, so I really don't care. My pets are family. If I had a girlfriend who tried to kick them off the bed she'd be the one in the dog house. Family is forever and until you're married your not family.

What Girls Said 6

• My parents share a full sized bed with a 100lb chocolate lab and a cat. I don't know how they do it. I love all the animals in my life but I will not hesitate to kick them off the couch / bed if I'm not comfortable.

• Because they love them like family. But, I don't let my dog sleep on my bed. He has his own bed.

• well my dogs are more than just dogs or pets they are a very big part of my family and we do every thing together

• That's nasty. you don't know where that dog has been

• I CAN'T CONTROL MY CHILDREN

• My dog does not sleep on my bed. She has her own dog bed that she likes.
    No matter what, she is still an animal. And also, she sheds and I don't want dog fur all over my bed.