What's the process for getting into the navy? And where would I, the girlfriend, fit in?

My boyfriend wants to join the navy. He's graduated, he's spoken to a recruiter, and he does PT training often. I'm still confused about the process, and when I'll be able to see him or not.

So I think the first step would be boot camp, right? But then what happens next? I heard that after bootcamp, he'll be sent to a school. Is this true?

I know that I can't live with him while he's in bootcamp, but while he's in his school we can live together, correct?

Then what happens after school? Will he get sent away to war? I'm so confused.

Overall, what is the actual process of my boyfriend getting in, and how often will I be able to see him before he is officially sent off for his active duty years?

We're not married (I'm 17) but he's brought marriage up. And I know that if we were to marry, there would be some benefits. What would those benefits be? PLEASE HELP

12

What Guys Said 2

• 1) I don't have all of the answers but your boyfriend should or need to learn. Your future together is something that should be discussed and something that he needs to consider if he really wants both the Navy and you. Joining the Armed Forces is a two person commitment. Military spouses are a part of the military as much as the ones that are serving, 2 part commitment and it is very possible that it will be harder on you than him. It is the couples that know this that make it through long separations and its the ones who don't understand that, that don't make it. Talk to him about it.

• Your boyfriend will be at bootcamp for 8 weeks. You can keep in contact with him through mailing him letters and vice versa. Now depending on his rate (Job) he will be going to a school anywhere from 4 months to 2 years... Also depending on his rate, he could be stationed at a base in the US, he could be stationed at a base in a foreign country: Japan, Taiwan, Spain, Italy, etc. Or he could be out at sea for months on end. Being stationed at a base in the US would be ideal for you two because you could move there and get a job/goto college there. Being stationed on a foreign base there is video chatting and what not that you two could do, but you wouldn't be able to go and live with him. Obviously, him going out to sea, is the least ideal, you will get phone calls and he has access to internet to be able to send emails as well.

However most of this, like I said, depends on his rate.

What Girls Said 1

• From what my brother did... he was emancipated. and then put into bootcamp for three months.. and then placed on a boat for 8 months.

• 3 months straight?

• Oh right, I thought you meant 8 years. Lol so he'll go to bootcamp for 3 months, then go straight to sea for 8 months?

• he will probably have a short break in-between.. but, sometimes there are stationed put out to sea.

That's also something else... they are stationed in different states, or different countries. You would be in a long distance relationship with that