What birth control will be best for me that is a regular use pill?

I am not sexually active. I just want to take birth control to regulate my out of control periods. Also, my blood type is RH negative I want to know how that affects it.



What Guys Said 1

  • Wouldn't such a question be better asked to a doctor?

    • Yes but I don't have insurance. Maybe I could go to a planned parenthood.

    • No medical advice from me, but I know that the dosage and on/off regime for BC pills is different for regulating menstrual cycles vs. actual birth control. And you have to see a doctor anyway to get a prescription.

What Girls Said 2

  • To make a totally informed decision, you need to go have bloodwork drawn.

    You should have *at least* estradiol, testosterone, LH, FSH, prolactin, SHBG, and DHEA sulfate tested.

    Ideally, you should have these drawn twice -- once during days 14-19 of yr cycle (just after ovulation), and once during the pre-menstrual or menstrual period. That way yr doctor can see any changes directly, which will make for an easier diagnosis.
    If you can't afford to have two sets of lab tests drawn, then the premenstrual/menstrual test is (obviously) more important.

    The right decision *may* be birth control, but, depending on exactly what is fucking up yr cycle, it may help to put you on a medicine that has mild anti-androgenic effects (e. g., metformin) -- especially if you've been gaining weight along with the crazy periods.

    Good luck.

  • You'll need to talk with your doctor. It depends on why your period isn't regular or normal and then you have to see how it affects you.