People over 25 - if you could give one piece of advice to your teenage self (only one), what would it be?

Mine would be "don't start smoking" or at least "quit now while it's still easy".

Woulda saved myself a lot of pain and struggles as an adult, not to mention a lot of money!

1030

Most Helpful Guy

• Learn all the little things that you can so you can save a lot of money.

I wish I did more things like metalshop and cars and carpenter stuff. Having a house and knowing how to do the small things would be an help. Youtube gets the job done at times but I wish when I had the time and no kids I took more classes for handyman stuff.

• I'm so grateful that I was raised in a DIY house with a tradesman father. I also am partnered up with a man who's very handy and has a background in architectural design. We save a lot of money by putting in the labour ourselves. I'm also a decent cook and have a knack for being able to whip something together from whatever's in the fridge and pantry. Can't sew worth a shit tho haha

Great piece of advice!

Most Helpful Girl

• I let myself go when I was a teenager because of depression. I'd tell myself before it happened not to do it, and instead put all the stress into exercise instead. That's what I do now, and that feels much better than eating my feelings. I would also tell myself not to spend so much time on the computer, because I feel like that's actually what made my social anxiety worse when I was younger. I noticed once I stopped spending so much time on the computer, I felt more relaxed all the time. As a teen, I used the internet as a crutch since I didn't have much friends, so I made all my friends online.

What Guys Said 29

• That's a good one. Good question.

Be confident, you are smart and will be successful. It's ok to be yourself and don't let other people bring you down.

• 'be single more'

• enjoy life and save your money for your future family. if you can save a lot of money it will help you a lot for your adult life.

for example, let's just say you cannot get a high paying job because you just can't go far with school education, save your money while you live with your parents because then you could invest that money into something and make a lot of money without having an education.

• Sober the fuck up! Get the hell off the frackin dope and go see a neurologist about your blackouts idiot!!! You got some seriously huge life events about to happen and you got to deal with them!!

• Dont drink so much, watch your weight, stop worrying and overthinking everything.
    The same things the future me will tell the current me :p

• Live a healthy lifestyle now (eating habits, exercise, sleep, hydration), and your life will be better.

My family isn't health conscious at all, and I only started caring about my overall health in my early 20s.

• I think I would say "Don't take things to heart so much"

• Stop fucking around and get your shit together!

• "Don't supress your emotions, dickhead."

• Don't wait.

For anything.

• Start saving money now and don't be so quick to spend it.

• don't give up on your dreams. there are always ways.

• If it's just one, I'd say " start loving yourself more by reading and introspection and meditation.

• don't waste too much time behind a screen, take care of your friends and go more out

• spend 100% of my fist job paychecks on microsoft stock and then sell on dec 1 1999 millions and millions !

• I agree with the "quit smoking" thing. I would also add "don't get married"

• Liked because of the smoking bit. Disagree about the getting married bit, but that's a personal thing. We've all got our own reasons for feeling whatever way we do about that one.

• Get yourself a girl Hans, in a few years all of them around you will be taken :o :-(

• Weren't they all taken by the time you were 25 ?

• @mikemx55 I've never been positive enough towards the girls... I've always had many girls as friends but have always assumed one of them would automatically fall in love with me.
      The older you get, the more of them are taken and the harder it gets :o

• Don't move to the UK. It will be the biggest mistake of your life, and you will have a decade and a half to regret it.

• Spending money on women is not worth it. Buy dividend yielding shares instead.

• dating is a waste of time. dont even concern yourself with women. worry about your money.

• grow up now, because you will still act like a teenager at 21 dude.

• Approach and smile.

• Have as much fun as you can. Time goes by too fast.

• have as much fun in as many fields, even sexually as possible. just do it with caution.

• Mine would be to myself 3 months ago: start your summer homework on July 1

• Fuck everyone else... you're going to be richer than everyone and own a camaro and mustang (2016... both of them) when you're 25... AND then you will be able to brag about it in their faces on Facebook... so don't worry about the bullies.

• are you still smoking?
    I would tell myself to focus more on studying to build a more perfect career...

• No. I quit about 2 years ago, for the second serious time. I successfully quit for quite a while about 6 years ago and hadn't been smoking that much again by time I quit again this last time. I had started again socially and then full time after losing my job a few years ago.

• It's hard to understand unless you've actually been a smoker. I don't judge anyone who still smokes. It's really hard to quit and so easy to fall back to. It's a nasty habit, but I feel like people vilify smokers kind of unfairly these days. We don't shame and ostracize people who are addicted to soda or junk food, but people think it's ok to shame and ostracized smokers. It's not.

• i know it is hard to quit.. and i am not demonizing people who are still smoking.. i am just sorry for them.. but they can choose for themselves i guess. shaming is not gonna help anyone..

• "Don't send dirty emails to your crush because it will haunt you forever".

• Go to a college far, far away from your family if you ever hope to have a life of your own.

• Get as far away from them as you can. Don't guilt-trip yourself about "abandoning" them, because they won't give a damn about how badly they screw things up for you, they'll just be offended that you dared to take them to task for it.

• Seriously. Fuck the regent's scholarship. Get away. Get out. Go.

What Girls Said 9

• To make a habit of calling my grandparents. I miss them a lot now and was such a selfish

• Quit eating and lose weight you stupid dumbass!
    Yes, that's it...

• Don't take guys in relationship so seriously. Enjoy your life don't rush to be an adult because being an adult has with it more responsibility than you can even think of. Guys are like buses. You don't run after one there's always another one coming. Study because the most important thing in your life is school.

• I'm not over 25, but I'm hoping I can look back on myself and say "Life get's better"

• It get's better, if you make it become better. All depends on you.

• People always believe it's a cry for attention. The thing is, even if someone was using suicide to get attention, something is still very wrong. A person who is happy in life won't use that to get attention. It's why people have to listen more. The best you can do is be her friend like Sara said. Hope things get better for her.

• @Hopefuldreamer8

I've always shook my head at that... like, ok, let's say it is a cry for attention - clearly that person needs some friggin attention, not judgment!

• don't bleach your hair

• Start taking adhd medication asap.

• Move out as soon as you can-16 is the earliest i guess- and Don't look back.

• Spend more quality time with your mother... she'll leave this earth a lot sooner than you think.

• study hard!!! boys will wait