People form US. Please help me?

I'm from Finland and I'm going to nyc with my mom and my brother. In Finland you don't tip. The "tip" is already in their salary (I don't know how to explain it in English.)

Please tell me when do you tip and how much!!

211

Most Helpful Guy

• As others have said, I'd say 20% for 'good' restaurant service, above that for exceptional, 15 is okay if you're scrounging by. That's a restaurant where you sit down and have a waiter, or on drinks in a bar.

10% or so on something like a cab is pretty normal.

A few dollars a day left for your maid in hotel.

As you note, these people are paid significantly less in salary (especially waitresses) and tips are an expected part of their compensation.

How long are you staying? If its longer I can think about things like hairdressers etc. But cabs/hotel staff/waitresses are the most obvious.

• I'm only staying a week. Thanks a lot for your help!

Most Helpful Girl

• Most people here tip at restaurants where they are being served. If the waiter/waitress is really good and friendly then I will tip higher than I would if they were rude or didn't put any effort into it at all. A good general rule of thumb though is to tip a certain percentage of your overall bill. Most people generally tip 15-20% and then they may adjust it higher or lower based on the service they received.

What Guys Said 10

• You explained it perfectly. Most tip 10-20% of the bill. I personally tip based on service. If the service was exceptional I've tipped 50% before and if the service was terrible I've not tipped at all. You don't usually tip at places where you serve yourself like at buffets but nothing says you can't.

• america the tip is typically about 15-20% for restaurant service
    about 10-15% for delivery services (like food)

• The standard is 15 percent of the bill, however if they are really good its generally accepted that we tip more like 20 percent.
    People absolutely refuse to tip under any circumstances here (With the exception foreigners who don't know any better) are basically consider to be awful people.

• The tip is typically between 15% and 20% depending on the servers attention to your needs.

We tip doormen, people who carry luggage to our rooms, people who park our cars (about $5 to $10). Waiters and waitress in restaurants with table service (only). We tip cab drivers. We tip hotel maids at the END of the stay $20-$50.

We do not tip gas station attendants. fast food staff. mailmen.

• I live state over from New York, in Pennsylvania in the US what we usually do is
    after your done having your meal and drink when your going to pay just give
    the waiter or waitress whatever you can afford to tip them. In Pennsylvania
    we aren't big payers for tipping waiters or waitress cause the cost of living
    and taxes are so high so we do whatever we can. Now when i got my haircut
    i tipped the hair stylist $2.00 cause my haircut was $16.00 just can't afford it.

• 15% . . . .

• If I'm not mistaken, you should tip 20% of the bill. So, if it's $10 bucks, then you tip $2 in addition to the $10. If it's $50, then you tip $10 in addition to the $50.

• Restaurants here don't include the tip normally. You're supposed to add anywhere from 15 to 20% as a tip so if your bill is $100 you would pay $115-1120

• I usually double the tax that's on the receipt and that's what I usually will pay

• Tip them with bubble gum they love it

What Girls Said 1