What is the reason that oil has not become cheap like coal despite the introduction of PV and Wind Turbines?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• coal prices have fallen because it's become easier and cheaper to extract it. not because of competition from alternatives.
    www.economist.com/.../energy_transition

wind and solar don't power cars so they're not a substitute for oil.

0|1
    0|0
    • I really always thought that it was because oil was more cleaner than coal that coal fell out of favor as a fuel in cars leading to cheaper prices compared to oil

• Show All
    • " energy transitions historically take a very long time—half a century, typically—and so it's unreasonable to expect that renewables can occupy a much larger share of power generation within a short time frame"

nothing of significance has changed in 6 years.

Oil became cheaper because saudi arabia increased production to maintain market share and attempt to kill off oil fracking in america. this is just supply and demand. nothing more.

• I guess you are right, thanks for your insight.

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Oil is still the most efficient method of producing energy.

0|1
    0|0
  • maybe coal looks more posh then oil

0|1
    0|0
  • oil is super cheap in alberta, Canada

1|1
    0|0
    • its cheap everywhere... its another question from the misinformed it would seem

What Guys Said 6

• because the oil company's know there days are numbered with how people want something better and cheaper than oil. with out the arrogance you get from the people who run the oil company's. there trying to get what they can like a squirrel storing nuts.

0|1
    0|0
  • i believe on average oil extraction and production for energy is cheaper than coal

0|1
    0|0
  • Because there's a lot more coal; it's easier to get, store, transport, and use; and there's less demand for it.

0|0
    0|0
    • that is what I understand as well. Is it the demand that dropped in response to new technology or over supply that caused the decrease in prices of oil?

• The price drop is mainly because of new technology that has increased reserves.

• I understand and thank you

• oil is the cheapest its ever been and that has nothing to do with alternative energies

0|0
    0|0
  • Dude--where have you been? The price of oil has dropped by over 50% in the past 2 years.

0|0
    0|0
  • Because oil is hard to get and not plentiful. Since the 70s it has gone up ever since.

0|0
    0|0
    • But it has gone down, could it be because of wind and PV and nuclear energy becoming cheaper