What's up with this alpha, beta, omega terminology?

I keep seeing it around and I get what it means. Alpha being top dog and beta meaning submissive, etc. but am I the only 1 who finds it juvenile and cringe worthy when men get into a chest thumping contest and constantly declare themselves alpha and the other guy beta?
It just seems like a really petulant pissing contest.

What does it mean to you?

515

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the alpha/beta terminology was invented and promoted by guys who feel inadequate and over-compensate by telling the world how dominant they are. A man who is truly confident of his masculinity does not need to scream such a message to passers-by.

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree. Its highly annoying. I dont like those terms either. I dont like when guys have to prove themselves to others. A confident man knows his abilities and doesn't feel tje need to walk around acting macho proving a point

• Really though! I mean if you're top dog then get stuff done and be respectable, let your actions speak for themselves. If you have to run around announcing that you're alpha then you really aren't.

• You're confusing the two. The confident one that can handle his shit when he needs to would be an alpha male. One that always needs to prove himself is anything but an alpha male.