What's up with this alpha, beta, omega terminology?

I keep seeing it around and I get what it means. Alpha being top dog and beta meaning submissive, etc. but am I the only 1 who finds it juvenile and cringe worthy when men get into a chest thumping contest and constantly declare themselves alpha and the other guy beta?
It just seems like a really petulant pissing contest.

What does it mean to you?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the alpha/beta terminology was invented and promoted by guys who feel inadequate and over-compensate by telling the world how dominant they are. A man who is truly confident of his masculinity does not need to scream such a message to passers-by.

1|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree. Its highly annoying. I dont like those terms either. I dont like when guys have to prove themselves to others. A confident man knows his abilities and doesn't feel tje need to walk around acting macho proving a point

1|0
    0|0
    • Really though! I mean if you're top dog then get stuff done and be respectable, let your actions speak for themselves. If you have to run around announcing that you're alpha then you really aren't.

• You're confusing the two. The confident one that can handle his shit when he needs to would be an alpha male. One that always needs to prove himself is anything but an alpha male.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 14

• lol I love your description of this lol. and I kinda agree but the alpha and beta. but in technical terms such as creating a new game or software. alpha release is the first buggy but not complete creation and beta is with most of the bugs fixed and all it needs is little Tweaks. and omega is when it releases lol ok I made up the omega part.

1|0
    0|0
  • All I know is that I'm so Alpha it takes like three betas just to hold my dick when I pee. I think an omega cleaned out my toilet once. I didn't even pay him.

Enough of this hen party. I gotta kick these bitches out from last night and hit the gym with my bruhs.

1|0
    0|0
  • it's stupid as hell. It's like people justify acting like an arrogant ass hat as 'being an alpha'. oh please, you're just a garden variety fuckboy with a slice of delusional

1|2
    0|1
  • If you call yourself a alpha then your not an alpha. The people around you say whether you're alpha or not. Beta just means bitch. Guys are weird.

1|3
    0|1
    • Really though! People just shouting out "I'm so alpha" just makes me laugh😅. And I know some people do it to kinda make fun of themselves (because it's pretty ridiculous) but I've seen some real live situations where the guy was dead serious.

• Show All
    • Got into a argument with a guy I just met and all of a sudden in the middle of the argument he declared himself as an alpha. I'm like no, that's not how it works ya dumb fucking bitch. At that point it was quite clear he was low key close to the I. Q. of being labeled at mentally retarded so I just said my final words of goodbye and walked away.

• Oh no! I was just telling somebody I witnessed this in real life.😂😂 It was so corny lol.

• I think it's true. Alpha=leader
    Beta=follower

Most self proclaimed alphas are not leaders. Good leaders earn respect through their actions and don't have to say anything about it.

2|0
    0|0
  • The whole alpha / beta / omega stuff, in my opinion, are tied to personality traits.

But too many people think that one is born alpha / beta / omega, and is unable to change it!

1|0
    0|0
  • It is a fact of life. This guy here has come up with a better hierarchy:

alphagameplan.blogspot.fr/.../...al-hierarchy.html

Viewing people's interactions in this frame of mind explains a lot. It just works. You can put it in the same category as Big5 traits and other psychology stuff. Just a tool to help understand people better. There's no shame in acknowledging we're all imperfect, evolved monkeys.

Note: Those who yelp "I'm alpha" are insecure puppies seeking validation and thumping their chests.

1|0
    0|0
  • i agree. the whole alpha, beta nonsense isn't something i even think about in life.

1|0
    0|0
  • The whole alpha and beta thing is in our nature. It is all a part of our evolution. Dont like it? Well too damn bad because it is literally engraved in each and every one of us.

0|0
    0|0
    • I never said I don't like a self assured, respectable, capable man.. it just seems childish when grown men run around declaring themselves alpha and other men beta especially when it's out of the blue.

• Alpha males don't need to declare themselves as alpha. They just are and everyone around them knows it. You're talking about a beta male that is trying to escape his insecurities.

• I clearly stated in my question that I'm referring to self Proclaimed alphas who go around announcing this. If you're so "alpha" then you won't have to constantly tell it to the world.

• There's some foundation to it when you get real.

But I agree it's been taken to some pretty stupid levels.

1|0
    0|0
  • I agree! its just another 'label' we live in a world built on and based around bs.. but anyways

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't believe in alpha beta men

1|0
    0|0
  • Well in all fairness to those guys, it is a thing, women j7st tend to notice it a lot less since they always go for alpha guys

1|1
    0|0
    • You mean guys who get stuff done and don't waste time reminding everyone that their alpha? Yeah, makes sense.

• Yes. Alpha guys will never call themselves alpha

• It means that language is alive. What one called a "Man's Man" is now an Alpha, a "Weakling" or "Groupie" or "Follower" is now a Beta and as for Omega and Sigma and the rest of the greek alphabet I am certain there are tropes tied too such as "Strong / Silent" etc.

1|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• I think there's no need to proclaim those "titles." Those are all ego boosters and denote temporary disposition.

One won't stay superior forever.
    One wouldn't stay a doormat either.

1|0
    0|0
  • You forgot gamma,, omega, sigma, zeta and feta!

Ok I made up the feta part.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't know

1|0
    0|0
  • They don't mean anything to me l donlt name people

1|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes