Stories of old -- Grandparents/people with grandchildren, do you have stories from your younger days?

That is one of the things we look forward to, when my siblings and I visit our grandparents. Our grandfather has so many stories from his childhood, and enjoys when we listen.

Stories of old -- Grandparents/people with grandchildren, do you have stories from your younger days?

Do you keep diaries of your younger days?

3|1

Most Helpful Girl

• I always like your questions :)

I have some great stories to tell my grandchildren. I'll enjoy talking about our family vacations in Scotland. We went every year when I was a child. I'll even take them their , so they can experience those great times themselves

I love listening to elderly people in general. They are great storytellers , and I have a genuine interest in the stories of their youth. I've even had old people chat to me while I've been waiting in shop queue, and they've talked to me about the " olden days" ... about what their life was like during world war times..

0|1
    0|0
    • Storytelling feels like a skill they just attain at some point. I don't think I know a single such person, who doesn't enjoy telling stories. :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I have my grandfather's service records from the time he served in the navy during the war.

As for my own lifespan, being nearly 40 I have seen a lot of things change. I remember no internet, no cellphones, computers with less memory than a microwave, black and white TVs, etc.

0|1
    0|0
    • That's pretty cool as well. :)

Even though we're still young, much keeps changing. I know I'm not quite at your age, but even growing up in the 90s I experienced a change in how school worked. When I first began, phones were scarce/rare, and we weren't allowed to use computers or calculators.. then later, we had to use those.

Also, the televisions when I were a small kid were still those big heavy blocks.. ๐Ÿ˜…

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 6

• Just being at my grandparent's house was a memory. There was a baseball field behind their house and I would always run on the field during the games when I was a kid and my grandpa (we called him pop pop) would chase me and my brother. We would catch fireflies at night too. I'm so sad he's gone. My kid will never get to meet him :(

0|1
    0|0
    • Those are warm stories, indeed. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Hey, just remember that he remains within your heart, and that you can share his stories to your children, as long as you keep them close. :)

• i heard a lot from my grandmother, she passed away in 2012. miss her so much. she used to tell me and my siblings about how our grandfather fought in a war, he was kidnapped by Japan army. i wish i still remember all, but im sure my siblings do.

0|1
    0|0
    • It must've been a scary time for them, to have fought in such wars. But the stories they're left with are interesting. All the weird adventures they've went through.

• I'm not a grandparent but I know that my grandparents have a lot of story to say. Especially my grand father to when he was in the military :)

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah our grandparents even has a fireplace, so we'd sit around it, and listen to his stories. He gets so enthusiastic. :)

• That's so cool :)
      My grandparents too show me lot of Magic trick, it's very fun ^-^

• my grandma would tell me stories from her days as a seamstress
    she also had some interesting World War 2 stories
    like the one time the Japanese captured her and made her stitch their uniforms

0|2
    0|0
  • My grandma used to get into fights with gangs and still there money. She was a police

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I love remembering the older days

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 12

• I always loved my grandfather when I was a child. He was all about jokes and simple lessons of life, he taught me how to take care of animals in a zoo where he worked from time to time and my favorite stories were simply when any bird would sing, he would tell me the name, and what that bird looks like/is known for. And when the bird flew away, it always matched the description ! :)

I don't keep diaries of my younger days by the way.

0|1
    0|0
  • No i haven't kept diaries.. but i loved my grandma a lot.. we spent so much time together, until she passed away suddenly, when I was on my college trip. It is depressing still now, but hey, we are destined to meet again.. right?

0|1
    0|0
  • My grandfather was a doctor who treated patientsโ€‹ for free if they couldn't afford treatment. He was one of the most loving people I have ever seen. I wish I remembered his voice though, it's been 8-9 years since he passed away.

I visit my grandmother from time to time, she tells me stories from her childhood, she tells me about mythology and Gods. She's a lovely woman. โ˜บ๐Ÿ˜Š

0|1
    0|0
  • I had my grand father ... when I was young say some 2-3 years old... he died but I remember him running behind me to catch me... I was little clumsy cause I used to fall when ever I run .. and he was worried... it is the only memories I have of my childhood ... , you know people forget most of their child hood memories...

0|1
    0|0
  • My grandfather used to tell us stories about how inexpensive things used to be. "I could get two whores for a nickel and still have enough left over to ride the trolley back up town... ". "and these were real shores, they'd do anything you wanted, not like today's Hollywood hookers"

0|2
    0|0
    • He eventually claimed that the Cleveland steamer was his idea. I don't know if I believe that though

• Yeah when my maternal grandfather was living he would tell us kids stories
    He was a former Deputy Sheriff and worked on the railroad before that and
    he told us stories about when he would transport convicts and he took me
    to tour the courthouse where there was convicts that i met. It was really
    some awesome stories he would tell us kids.

0|1
    0|0
  • My dad is a twin. He was in the same cabin as his brother and at the end of the day they were handing out snacks, one of the counselors from the other cabins refused to give him snack because he thought he was the twin trying to double up. My dad was really hungry that day and now makes sure everyone he knows always has enough to eat

0|1
    0|0
    • He also was on the board for camps for years making sure there was enough in the food budget and continues to generously donate to camps

• My grandparents told me to stay away from the brown acid and to not take shit from the Man. Best advice I've ever gotten from them.

0|1
    0|0
  • no, I don't keep diaries.

but what I learned from my grandpa was, it's easier to pick up women with a mule than a car.
    and every cafe has some broad named Louise working as a waitress.

0|1
    0|0
  • yes they are very caring and when i was a child, they always told me stories from their past

0|1
    0|0
  • I never saw my grandfather. He passed before I was born.
    He was a served in the army during WW2.

0|1
    0|0
  • My great grandfather was in WW1 and his plane and one other got shot down over the ocean.
    He managed to swim back to the shore whilst keeping afloat his unconscious mate.
    He got a medal.

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes