Why do we cry with both extremes: happiness and sadness?

I've thought about this for a long time, I find it interesting that we have the same reaction with both extremes. We cry when we're overjoyed about something, and we also cry when we're extremely sad, or with pain. Why's that? Crying is a stress reliever, so I understand crying when you're sad, but why cry when you're happy?

158

Most Helpful Girl

• Crying is a release of hormones:

There are multiple kinds of tears and when you have a surge of hormones (adrenaline, happiness, sadness, etc.) you need to release that from your body and literally you cry out the excess.

If you want more info:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRroj26qVb0

Most Helpful Guy

• i imagine it's just a heightened emotional there is a connection between your tear ducts and the part of your brain that processes emotions

so it may be a stress relief to some but really it's just your brain experiencing a heightened emotion and the tear ducts being activated via that neural connection

• See, now that makes more sense. I didn't know that.
      You have a kid/s, right? Did you cry when they were born?

• yeah i don't think i'd ever cried from joy/happiness either. but the tears came for sure.

• thanks for MHO