What is worse: try and save 3 people but let 7 die, or do nothing and watch 3 people die but 7 are saved as a result?

Let's say terrorists are forcing you to make a choice.
  • Make an attempt to save 3 people but end up letting 7 die.
    Vote A
  • Make no attempt to save 3 people, watch them die but then have 7 live as a result.
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Or to ask it another way: which would you personally choose?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess it depends on a number of factors... Is my family involved? Do I know the outcome? How easy is it for me to try and save the 3 people?

It's a tough one. But we always hope to be able to save someone.

0|2
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Make an attempt to save 3 people but end up letting 7 die.
    Because before it you don't know how many people would die and live and doing nothing isn't a good things to do.

0|1
    0|0
  • It basically depends on the people, but a roughly generalised answer would be that I try to keep myself in check so the seven are saved.

0|0
    0|0
  • My natural reaction would be to try & save as many as I could.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• I say the second one

0|0
    0|0
  • not knowing the outcome before the action I'll go for A.. but if I do know what will happen when I try to save those 3 I will gladly sit back and watch them die in order to save the 7..

0|1
    0|0
    • Gladly? No remorse at all?

• remorse isn't always the case.. but rather facing the fact.. I simple can't save them all.. that doesn't make me the bad person..

• people are going to die either way so it'll be a physiological factor weighing on your consciousness. the first option you gave it a try but so many people die so you'll have feelings of, "i could have done something more to save those people" and the 2nd option would be watching/hearing those people die as you did nothing to help them condemning them to death so you'll blame yourself for not trying to save them.

0|0
    0|0
  • the second option is better

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd rather watch them all die.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'd have to go with the one with fewer casualties since I don't know if those 3 people are specific targets that are so much more important than the rest because of their position, knowledge, abilities, etc. or if they are all more or less the same people as the rest.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes